Beast Run - male sounds playing for female characters.

Luminara

With a female character, with Beast Run active, jumping while not otherwise moving (i.e. from a standstill and not pressing a movement key) plays male jump sounds.  Jumping while moving (i.e. pressing and holding W, then jumping) plays the correct female sounds.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

More testing:

Female sounds only play when moving forward while jumping.  Male sounds play when moving backward, left or right (i.e. pressing and holding A, S or D).

Moving forward and to either side simultaneously plays the correct female sounds.  Moving backward and to either side simultaneously does not.

All jump grunts, male and female, fail to play at all after about a minute, unless the character uses an attack.  Using an attack seems to reset whatever timer is disabling the sounds, allowing the grunts to be heard for another minute.

Recap: female jump grunts only play when the female character is already moving forward (or forward and to either side at the same time) before the jump key is pressed; movement backward, left, right or backward and left or right at the same time plays male jump grunts on female characters; and all jump grunts cease playing if the character hasn't been in combat for roughly a minute (somewhere between 30s and 60s, anyway (haven't timed it, sorry)).

The failure to play any jump grunt sounds unless recently in combat persists across zones and into and out of missions.  Transiting from one zone to another, entering or exiting a mission doesn't re-enable jump grunts.  Toggling mitigatory powers on and off, toggling Sprint on and off, also doesn't re-enable grunts.  Using an attack, setting the character into a combat state, does re-enable grunts.

Zoning or exiting a map mission while still in a combat state removes the combat state.  Consequently, any change of zone, be it into a map, out of a map or across city map zones, leads the Beast Run not playing any grunt sounds for female characters until/unless re-entering a combat state (using an attack or other power which puts the character into the combat state).

Wow.  This power is a fucking mess.  I'm just going to shelve Squeakaboo until it's working properly.

• 2 years later

Stumbled across this one too, and appears to be tied to weapon-draw? Same issue both with the Beast Stance inherent option and the actual Beast Run travel power.

Tested with Widow, Axe Brute, Katana Scrapper, Claws stalker, Savage Brute, and Dark Melee Scrapper. Hitting an attack power and then jumping from idle position triggers a male 'grunt' sound for female body types.

Notably, Dark Melee and Savage didn't cause the male jumping grunt sfx, which made me think it was specific to having weapons drawn. However, Axe didn't seem to trigger it either. So it may be an issue on a set-by-set basis rather than just weapons, but Widow/Claws and Katana definitely do when the weapon is drawn. Very strange.

It's not just Beast Run. There are times when I'm playing with a friend and her female character leaps and makes a male grunt. And she doesn't have Beast Run on any of her 3 characters. Sometimes, you can even hear it from female mobs. Not counting the weird grunt female Blood Widows always made for their flipping blade slash attack, sometimes if you can get them to leap for any other reason, they play the male grunt sound. (Edit: Makes me think the problem may be in the sound file and the way the game tries to access it for various animations.)

Edited by Rudra