[Request] earth/rad troller

lumendrako

hey guys, ill start by saying i dont know my A**e from my elbow when it comes to making builds lol so if one of you lovely people has a decent well rounded build for an earth/rad troller id be eternally gratefull 🙂

thanks in advance all

Back on Live, I wrote a popular Earth/Rad Controller guide.  Most of the info in there is still valid.  My guide discusses each power in detail, strategies to use each power and synergies between Earth and Rad.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120904193426/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=121712

In terms of a build, it depends.  What's your playstyle?  Do you want to solo?  Do you prefer to stay out of melee and control from range on teams? (Which is my preference)

Some people build up for Tank-like Defense.  I prefer to maximize my control abilities and don't mind if I faceplant once in a while.

Some general suggestions.  The single target Immob is nice as a single target damage power, but is otherwise skippable.  I prefer to skip Salt Crystals, Choking Cloud and Fallout.  Choking Cloud can be useful on Fire, Ice and Electric controllers, but not on Earth, as I prefer to stay out of melee.  Mutation (rez) is optional.

Personally, I use Super Speed with a Stealth IO for invisibility.  This lets me get in position to fire off controls.  And I don't have to use the Stealth Pool.  But with this combo, Combat Jumping's Immobilize protection is nice to have - and it takes a Luck of the Gambler Recharge IO.

In general, I slot for a good amount of Recharge, as I want my AoE controls up as much as possible.  Hasten is essential.  If you can get them, 2 Enzyme Hami-Os is perfect slotting for Radiation Infection, as they enhance all three parts of this power (ToHit Debuff, Defense Debuff, Endurance Reduction)

Strategy:  Quicksand is an underrated power.  It is not only a great Slow patch, but a huge Defense Debuff, helping all of your other controls hit.  On good teams, I let the Tank (or Brute) run in to grab aggro, then use Quicksand to keep foes together before hitting one of my 3 AoE controls (Earthquake, Stalagmites + Stone Cages, or Volcanic Gasses).  Quicksand helps other powers hit more reliably without slotting extra accuracy.  Then pick a target for the RI + EF + LR Debuff combo.  Ling Rad plus Quicksand slows foes to the Slow cap, so you really don't need to enhance for Slow.

23 hours ago, Area Man said:

... I prefer to skip Salt Crystals, Choking Cloud and Fallout.  Choking Cloud can be useful on Fire, Ice and Electric controllers, but not on Earth, as I prefer to stay out of melee.  Mutation (rez) is optional.

I agree with basically everything said by Area Man.  But I will point out (emphasize) the utility of Choking Cloud very much does depend on your playstyle and willingness to get into melee distances.  You can rather rapidly stack holds on bosses via VG or Fossilize then moving in and adding Choking Cloud to the mix.

And for me Fallout is part of a package deal on at least one of my alt builds.  The package -> Teleport Ally + Fallout (+/-  Vengeance) + Mutation is a thing of beauty.  But it requires allies know what's going on and cooperate (not run off to hospital, self rez, and enable teleport permission) to really come together.

I feel like earth benefits from choking cloud more than other sets, because choking cloud actually rolls to hit (unlike entangling vines in nature which hits automatically without rolling)  Choking cloud has poor accuracy, so it benefits a LOT from earth's -defense powers (essentially every earth power messes with defense, but quicksand and earthquake do it in big patches).  I can see not wanting to play in melee, but choking cloud is a power that lets you do so with a great deal more safety than you might otherwise have.   Finally choking cloud can turn Volcanic Gasses from a patch that holds masses of LTs and minions reliably to a patch that holds EVERYTHING reliably(you'll need to stack quicksand so it hits, but you're doing that on your volcanic gasses anyway).  I can't imagine not taking it, but in the end it comes down to a play style choice. 

• Like 1

Earth/rad is my favourite troller since live and one of the few characters I've recreated. Cyurrent build is this one but I tend to change it a lot to keep the char feeling new:

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Controller
Primary Power Set: Earth Control
Secondary Power Set: Radiation Emission
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Fossilize -- GldNet-Dam%(A), GldJvl-Dam%(3), UnbCns-Dam%(7), NrnSht-Dam%(9), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(17), GhsWdwEmb-Acc/EndRdx(19)
Level 1: Radiant Aura -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(17), Prv-Heal/Rchg(36), Prv-Heal(37), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(37), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(37)
Level 2: Stone Cages -- Artl-Acc/Dam(A), Artl-Dam/End(3), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(15), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(21), PstBls-Dam%(23)
Level 4: Accelerate Metabolism -- EffAdp-EndMod/Rchg(A), SynSck-EndMod/Rech(5), RechRdx-I(7)
Level 6: Quicksand -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 8: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(9)
Level 10: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(11), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(43), Rct-ResDam%(48)
Level 12: Stalagmites -- SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprWiloft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(13), SprWiloft-EndRdx/Rchg(13), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(15), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(36), SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(36)
Level 14: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 16: Radiation Infection -- HO:Enzym(A), HO:Enzym(42)
Level 18: Earthquake -- UndDfn-DefDeb/Rchg/EndRdx(A), UndDfn-Rchg/EndRdx(19)
Level 20: Lingering Radiation -- Acc-I(A), RechRdx-I(21), RechRdx-I(25)
Level 22: Enervating Field -- EndRdx-I(A), EndRdx-I(23)
Level 24: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(25), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(31)
Level 26: Volcanic Gasses -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(27), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(27), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(29)
Level 28: Kick -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(29), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(40), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43)
Level 30: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(31), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(31), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(34), UnbGrd-ResDam(34), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 32: Animate Stone -- ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(33), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(33), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(34), ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(43)
Level 35: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(40), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(40)
Level 38: EM Pulse -- BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Hold(39), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(39), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(39)
Level 41: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(42), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(42)
Level 44: Poisonous Ray -- GldJvl-Dam/End/Rech(A), Apc-Dam%(45), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(45), Apc-Acc/Rchg(45), Apc-Dmg(46), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46)
Level 47: Disruptor Blast -- Artl-Acc/Dam(A), Artl-Dam/End(48), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(48), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(50), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(50), FrcFdb-Rechg%(50)
Level 49: Mutation -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Containment 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(11)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(5)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 50: Vigor Partial Core Revamp 
------------

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Being chased by a wasp is the most complete sport practice!