Functioning Doors for SG Bases

Sometimes, you just want to open a door. I really love base building, but it'd be nice to have functioning doors so that you don't need to have open doorways everywhere, or run out of portal spots making pseudo doors from teleport portals. I'm not sure how feasible it is, but having doors that can be toggled open and closed for SG bases would be absolutely amazing.

One thing that would be nice wrt that idea, if they can't make doors that open up and allow you to walk through manually, would be something like this:

Say you have a "functional door" object. You place it on a wall, then another one on the other side of that wall. You know how teleport signs 'detect' teleporters and link to them, and vice versa? Now apply that to the 'functional doors', but make them only able to support one link (the first other door placed within its radius before/after it, so if there's a door there already when you place it, that doesn't already have a partner, then those two doors link up and lead into one another). Make its radius maybe one or two 'large grid' tiles (aka the size of the pillar/block that appears if you click 'add' on the wall box when editing a room), so that it doesn't go crazy checking the whole map for another door. And give the door an animation like the functional doors in the city zones, i.e.: door swings open, player runs through, door swings closed, other door swings open, player emerges, other door swings closed.

I'm neither a modeler nor a coder, so I don't know how hard that would be, hence I'm not saying 'they should/need to do it this way', I'm just saying it would be cool.

• 1 month later