How to play earth/storm?

Glowman

Hey folks! Playing my first real controller and I'm having some trouble learning the ropes. Got any tips you can give me? Like what does your attack chain look like? How's the infamous storm herding work? What powers are you always gonna throw down and which ones are situational? What looks different solo vs. grouped? I've attached the build I'm using (found elsewhere on the forums) if that matters. I look forward to all of your suggestions!

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 3.0.0.0
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/Hero-Designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Soul of Gaia: Level 50 Magic Controller
Primary Power Set: Earth Control
Secondary Power Set: Storm Summoning
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Stone Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Fossilize -- GhsWdwEmb-Acc/EndRdx(A), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(3), GldNet-Dam%(3), GldJvl-Dam%(5), UnbCns-Dam%(5), NrnSht-Dam%(7)
Level 1: Gale -- SuddAcc--KB/+KD(A), FrcFdb-Rechg%(9)
Level 2: Stone Cages -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(19), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(23), Rgn-Knock%(25), PstBls-Dam%(25)
Level 4: Boxing -- HO:Nucle(A)
Level 6: Quicksand -- TmpRdn-EndRdx/Rchg/Slow(A)
Level 8: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(9)
Level 10: Steamy Mist -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(11), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(11), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(17)
Level 12: Stalagmites -- SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprWiloft-EndRdx/Rchg(13), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(13), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(15), PstBls-Dam%(17)
Level 14: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 16: Freezing Rain -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 18: Earthquake -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/Rchg(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(21), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(27), DarWtcDsp-Rchg/EndRdx(27), FrcFdb-Rechg%(43)
Level 20: Hurricane -- EndRdx-I(A), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(21)
Level 22: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(23), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(37)
Level 24: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(34), HO:Ribo(40)
Level 26: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 28: Thunder Clap -- SprOvrPrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprOvrPrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(29), SprOvrPrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(29), SprOvrPrs-Rchg/Energy Font(40)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(31), LucoftheG-Def(31)
Level 32: Animate Stone -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(33), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(33), SlbAll-Build%(34), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(34)
Level 35: Tornado -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(36), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(36), AchHee-ResDeb%(37), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(37)
Level 38: Lightning Storm -- Apc-Dmg/Rchg(A), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Apc-Acc/Rchg(39), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(39), Apc-Dam%(40), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(46)
Level 41: Fissure -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(42), FrcFdb-Rechg%(42), ExpStr-Dam%(42), Ann-ResDeb%(43), PstBls-Dam%(43)
Level 44: Seismic Smash -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), Hct-Dam%(45), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(45), TchofDth-Dam%(45), GldStr-%Dam(46), Mk'Bit-Dam%(46)
Level 47: Rock Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(48), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(48)
Level 49: Hurl Boulder -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), GldJvl-Dam%(50), ExpStr-Dam%(50), FrcFdb-Rechg%(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- HO:Nucle(A)
Level 1: Containment 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- IntRdx-I(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(31), Mrc-Rcvry+(48)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(7)
------------

Edited by Glowman

For me it begins with stealth.  You have enough between Steamy Mist and Celerity stealth IO.  This lets you pick and choose when, where and who to attack.  

Next I'm typically looking at either moving behind cover and taking advantage of Earth's and Storm's ability to lay patches around cover with no exposure to return fire.  I'm more likely to take this tack when either solo or on a team that's struggling with their difficulty setting.  Or with faster moving more dominant teams I'll open with Stalagmites, close quickly and let loose with Thunderclap.   Not much isn't stunned at that point as that's at least mag 5 stun accumulated and next up is Fissure (more stunning), Seismic Smash centering on a boss target.  Outside of starting off with Stalagmites the rest isn't particularly in order.  More a matter of what's going down with the mob, adds if any and what's off cooldown.

I'm not a big Hurricane user.  I usually have it but it takes practice to really become a good 'herdicane' user so it's either more ideal terrain or it's really gone to he'll.

This is a very brief bit on my general approach.  Any specific areas of concern?

• Like 1

Attack Chain is: Stalagmites, Freezing Rain, EarthQuake, Cages, hold, hold, hold.  Later on, Stalagmites, Freezing Rain, Earthquake, Cages, Hold, Lightning Storm, hold, Tornado, Hold, cages, etc.  If you can target from around a corner, out of line of sight, then it's Earthquake, Freezing rain, turn corner and Stalagmites.   I tend to hold volcanic gasses for emergencies.   Somewhere in there you will want to do quicksand as well.   Once you have your epic, after the first three powers, you will jump in the middle and do a fissure and thunderclap in there to stun all the bosses(stacked with stalagmites).   You have so many good powers, it's hard to fit them all in, and in a fast moving group you will probably alternate with Stalagmites, earthquake, then stalagmites, freezing rain every other group.

You can mix it up depending on what you're facing but that's the basics.

Edited by Corythia
had a power name wrong
  • Like 1

Honestly with Earth/Storm, there are so many good powers, it is hard to choose, and hard to decide a rotation.  It's very strong and versatile, especially on teams.  Earth has very low DPS, but /Storm can make up for a lot of that with Freezing Rain (-res), Lightning Storm, and Tornado.  There are several openers that will work, I just listed what I tend to use.  If you can open from behind a pillar or around a corner, that's best, but even when you can't you cam stack aoe control 3-4 powers deep to limit return fire.

• Like 1