Server Status displaying number of trials

I mentioned this idea in another thread, thought I would break it out here.

I think it would be helpful if we could "expand" any given server on the server status page and see how many of each type of trial is in progress. I'm wondering if that would be easier to do on the server status page than inside the game itself.

Might also be helpful to know how many are in certain zones where zone events can occur (and PVP I guess, but I never do that) - RWZ, The Hive, The Abyss. That could be an indication something is about to happen there - or maybe just finished.

• 3 weeks later
2 hours ago, MoonSheep said:

your post has me wondering about something slightly related.. cross shard trials and TFs through an improved LFG function?

God, I hope not.  That would be one of the worst ideas ever and would quite possibly drive me away.  Cross-shard stuff kills off any semblance of a shard's community and just enables jerks to be jerks without any penalty.  See: World of Warcraft, every other modern MMOG.

1 hour ago, Apparition said:

God, I hope not.  That would be one of the worst ideas ever and would quite possibly drive me away.  Cross-shard stuff kills off any semblance of a shard's community and just enables jerks to be jerks without any penalty.  See: World of Warcraft, every other modern MMOG.

there’s free server transfers in the current state of play, it would allow others on non-peak times to more easily find teams and events, a positive for many european players

5 minutes ago, MoonSheep said:

there’s free server transfers in the current state of play, it would allow others on non-peak times to more easily find teams and events, a positive for many european players

At the cost of utterly destroying what's left of the City of Heroes community, just like it destroyed any semblance of community in every other game cross-server stuff was added to.  No thank you.  While I sympathize with your problem, the solution you propose has too high of a price, IMO.

29 minutes ago, Apparition said:

At the cost of utterly destroying what's left of the City of Heroes community, just like it destroyed any semblance of community in every other game cross-server stuff was added to.  No thank you.  While I sympathize with your problem, the solution you propose has too high of a price, IMO.

what on earth are you doing in the larger group events? they’re usually quite pleasant/fun from my experience

28 minutes ago, MoonSheep said:

what on earth are you doing in the larger group events? they’re usually quite pleasant/fun from my experience

Yes, single shard larger group events are usually quite pleasant and fun.  Cross-shard larger group events, I assure you, would be quite different, for the worse.  On a single shard, you have player recognition and accountability for your actions.  Cross-shard has neither.  So people are more free to act like jerks or treat everyone else like NPCs with funny names and costumes.  It's the same on every MMOG that started with single-shard grouping and eventually added cross-shard grouping.

2 hours ago, Apparition said:

Yes, single shard larger group events are usually quite pleasant and fun.  Cross-shard larger group events, I assure you, would be quite different, for the worse.  On a single shard, you have player recognition and accountability for your actions.  Cross-shard has neither.  So people are more free to act like jerks or treat everyone else like NPCs with funny names and costumes.  It's the same on every MMOG that started with single-shard grouping and eventually added cross-shard grouping.

i’m more optimistic 😄

• Thanks 1

On 9/21/2021 at 12:58 PM, MoonSheep said:

i’m more optimistic 😄

Yeah, we don't do optimism here. 😆

Back to your original thought about cross-server play, from a technical perspective when I've seen something like this mentioned in the past the response was (1) we don't have a good way to manage the same character name being present multiple times in the same trial, and (2) LFG sux and no one wants to touch the code.

I recall it being mentioned that moving to a character name structure that somehow embeds and hides your global (I think Champions does this?) might work, because then "Oklahoman.Hero Dude" can be different than your Hero Dude, and what the heck - let's just have a league full of Hero Dudes. I personally think it would glorious chaos, especially if they are all masterminds.

You mentioned server transfer tokens, but of course that breaks you out of your supergroup and potentially has other destructive outcomes. I recall one instance on live where someone transferred a character to join a tf on another server, and someone else immediately created a new character with that same name. If a server transfer token reserved your name on the outgoing server for 24 hours or so, I guess that might help, but you still have the other downsides. Something like this might be the easiest way to accomplish what you suggest.

All the way back to my original post, still would love to be able to see what's running already on the server, which I am guessing would be easier to accomplish through the server status page than in-game. A lot of times I log in and wait at least 15 minutes before I try to run anything, or I will start with something that isn't run much like MoDD and just see what shows up in LFG as I go.

On 9/22/2021 at 11:42 PM, Oklahoman said:

Yeah, we don't do optimism here. 😆

Back to your original thought about cross-server play, from a technical perspective when I've seen something like this mentioned in the past the response was (1) we don't have a good way to manage the same character name being present multiple times in the same trial, and (2) LFG sux and no one wants to touch the code.

I recall it being mentioned that moving to a character name structure that somehow embeds and hides your global (I think Champions does this?) might work, because then "Oklahoman.Hero Dude" can be different than your Hero Dude, and what the heck - let's just have a league full of Hero Dudes. I personally think it would glorious chaos, especially if they are all masterminds.

You mentioned server transfer tokens, but of course that breaks you out of your supergroup and potentially has other destructive outcomes. I recall one instance on live where someone transferred a character to join a tf on another server, and someone else immediately created a new character with that same name. If a server transfer token reserved your name on the outgoing server for 24 hours or so, I guess that might help, but you still have the other downsides. Something like this might be the easiest way to accomplish what you suggest.

All the way back to my original post, still would love to be able to see what's running already on the server, which I am guessing would be easier to accomplish through the server status page than in-game. A lot of times I log in and wait at least 15 minutes before I try to run anything, or I will start with something that isn't run much like MoDD and just see what shows up in LFG as I go.

ah i see, to help people know what’s currently running and therefore whether it‘s worth trying to build an event?

Edited by MoonSheep
  • Like 1