DP/Thermal?

Cutter

So while concepting a build for a support dork, I managed to snag the name Hot Lead. Pistols+Thermal seemed appropriate.

I'll be running her mostly with brand new (and younger) players, so I want something that will enable their surviveability while not totally outshining them. I want them to have a positive experience that isn't standing around watching dad kill everything. I expect to be teaming with some combination of 1-2 brutes, or a brute+MM.

At the same time, I want something that will be an asset to more experienced teams when the opportunity presents. And ideally able to solo reasonably well. (Oh, and while I'm at it I want a pony and a million dollars too.)

I haven't seen much (anything) on /Thermal, and back in the olden days I really didn't have much to do with the squishier ATs so my exposure to the set is very limited.

Based on what I've read and remember, I'm not expecting this to be the top of tier 1. But will it be underpowered and frustrating? Experiences with either set are appreciated!

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

So, based on your description of wanting to ensure their survivability while not outshining them, I would really really recommend DP/Time instead. At 28 you get farsight, which when slotted with defense will give them 15% defense to all, not to mention a fair amount of tohit. You also get time's juncture which will allow you to follow right behind the brute debuffing all the enemies' tohit, protecting the brute by a fair margin. There is also distortion field that will lower the speed and dmg of all the enemies' smacking him. The MM's pets will live longer and be more effective with higher accuracy as well because of farsight.

Not to mention with the incarnate Clarion radial farsight defense to all goes up to about 22% which will likely softcap everyone making them very very safe. So, yeah...DP/Time, I say do it.

Thanks for your insights, much appreciated!

Prolly a stupid question but how well does /Time stack with itself? The MM is likely going to be Bots/Time. Will we be hitting overkill levels from the same powerset running twice?

@Cutter

It stacks with itself pretty well. Two time's juncture and distortion fields basically means the mobs won't be able to move out of aoes at all or run away. Farsight and chronoshift also stack if the casters are different and then you can easily temporal selection 2 people so the brute will have it twice and you and the MM once, so with all that that's 30% def to all, 20% to hit, 130% recharge, and the brute will have 160% recharge. Meanwhile the mobs will have around -20% tohit (about) from two time's junctures.....so yeah with all that you all will be nigh unhittable and have a ton of recharge. This would be a very very survivable team.

Another option is the tried and true fire/kin. Essentially you choose this to buff their and your own dmg to the cap with fulcrum shift and you would give them recharge and endurance through speed boost (not yourself though). You would also have a quick recharging endurance heal in transference. This team would just destroy mobs their defense would be their offense, things can't hurt you if their dead. So, decisions decisions.

Both time and kinetics have heals, but time's is a little better because it doesnt require a hit and it an aoe heal on yourself instead of the mob.

/Dark is fun because of Tar Patch, but it doesn't add much more to your team's composition. /Kin or /Time would add much more.

Honestly most of the secondary corruptor powersets are fine and will perform well or at least decently. I would still suggest the /time or /kin for your composition though, I'm biased though as those are my two favorite sets as well. They both just offer so much so a group, while being able to handle themselves quite well if forced to solo. (/Time solos better than /Kin without a lot of investment)

If you are on torchbearer and want to team or join a supergroup. My handle is @Darkir.

Cool, I'll definitely look into /Time. I've done my share of /Dark and /Kin - trying to build with either new sets or ones I didn't get into back in the day.

Don't have any dorks on Torchbearer (yet) but my altitis and name-hunting means I'll get there sooner or later. Might do that tonight while it's fresh in my mind.

@Cutter