Across the Spider-Verse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbXJ3_AQE_o

I'm on board for varied, potentially experimental animation (mis)adventures!

Hell, before changing my focus to games, I wanted to be an animator when I was growing up.  Watched a LOT of experimental and artistic stuff.  I quite enjoyed Into the Spider-Verse, so this will be an easy movie ticket from me (barring some massive upheaval about the movie being truly bad, anyway).

But October 2022?  Wow.  That was a pretty fleshed out teaser for something that's almost a whole year away.  Maybe it was a proof of concept animation that they just decided was good enough to publicize.  Then again, the intentionally low framerate does theoretically make it a bit easier to get this stuff out in a hurry.

20 minutes ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

But October 2022?  Wow.  That was a pretty fleshed out teaser for something that's almost a whole year away. 

I've been pondering that the early release of the teaser must be deliberately to tie into Spider-Man: No Way Home's upcoming release.   I'm really not clear what they hoped to accomplish.  On the surface, releasing even a teaser for the sequel to one of the two most popular Spider-Man films would seem to undermine publicity for No Way Home.  I would have thought they'd release the teaser after the (presumed) success of No Way Home:  ride the wave of success, as it were.  Then again, it could be hedging their bets.  If somehow No Way Home proves underwhelming, (which I don't see, but then I've been surprised before), then this would be a way of reassuring fans that something monumental is still in the works.

Weirdly, I'd re-watched Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse just two days before the sequel teaser dropped.  The teaser looks okay.  Something about the city-scape animation right before the appearance of 2099 seemed visually flat, but the opening scene was everything I expected from a sequel to  Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse .  Time variance was a subtle point in the first movie.  Peter B. Parker was older than the deceased Peter Parker, as was Spider-Man Noir.  The clues are still subtle in this teaser, but it appears that time variance across the multi-verse will play at least a somewhat stronger role in the second film.

In the trailer for No Way Home, those multiversal incursions Doc says he can't hold off...

...they look more than a little bit similar to the Spiderverse dimensional breakdown style - as if the same kind of chaos was rendered in a 3D universe.

I wonder...

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

I have to relay an observation others made.  It could prove a big spoiler, so...

Spoiler

I didn't know of this character, but others have pointed out that there are elements of the teaser that reflect Indian culture, including Hindu writing.  This strongly suggests to those other parties that the Indian Spider-man, Pavitr Prabhakar, may be one of the other spider folk to show up.