Decorating Base Christmas Trees - Tips and Tricks?

GM GoodNyght

• Retired Game Master

I'm hoping base builders can share tips and tricks for creating / simulating SG base Christmas Tree Decorations.

For instance, I use the Chantry Light as a radiant ball of light tree topper.  I've found that using F5 to select "Surface" option allows the Chantry Light to cling to the very tip top point of the tree, rather than having to try and raise one in the air and use CNTL to try and jockey it into position.

I've been using the short-armed wall-mounted Red, Green and Blue "Lights" as Christmas Tree lights, but even when I choose "Surface", the moment the light leaves the wall, it begins to twitch all around, and is really hard to sink into the Conifer tree.  Help?

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually found a lot of the effects from the Arcane FX can work for replacement of tinsel, and lighting too. I'd been toying around with the lighting to get it right but the mounted lights can be REALLY hard to adjust to look right. Um, I have seen a few people pull it off though, it can be pretty twitchy but it is entirely possible to get them to mount right. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Roleplaying mentor volunteer, and mentorship contributor.

Chatrange Popmenu/Where to find me/Beginners Links

blinkiesCafe-Ov.gif.461b52017365412a34160eb002f74cfe.gif

There are very-bright hanging orbs called something like Red Hanging Light 1 (and 2), Blue, and Green. Set the attachment point to Floor, set the grid to None, set Enable Room Clipping. Position them so the "hanging" cable sticks up through the tree where you want the light, then shift-drag the actual light down to where you want it. It's the best I got.

(I've stopped asking for the pre-lit Christmas trees from Winter Forest/Atlas Park. I'm told it's because they only light up at night. I'd take it.)

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/17/2021 at 7:34 PM, GM GoodNyght said:

I've been using the short-armed wall-mounted Red, Green and Blue "Lights" as Christmas Tree lights, but even when I choose "Surface", the moment the light leaves the wall, it begins to twitch all around, and is really hard to sink into the Conifer tree.  Help?

Sorry I'm late to this. I use these lights too. I attach them by putting a white floor at an angle across the conifer, then attach the short lights to the floor instead of the tree. That way the black ends are buried in the tree. I just keep rotating and moving the floor and attaching the lights. Hope this helps. 

• 3 months later

I'm a bit late, but here's the one I did in my travel hub. I used most of the hedge objects clipped into one another, with urinal details and pool balls for string lights and ornaments. I also found it a cool effect to hide those rotating seraphina shards inside the tree for ambient snow flurries.

screenshot_211209-20-48-50.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1