Ill/Cold - defenseless high recharge blaster

Onlyasandwich

Good evening cultured controllerites!

For all the Controllers and Defenders I've made over the years, I have touched neither Illusion nor Cold Domination at any point. Weird I know! In any case, I'm solving that with my next character.

One thing that stands out to me about Illusion is the unique ability to step away from the softcap defense game, and instead rely on high recharge not only to keep those Phantoms out front tanking, but also to blast my foes senseless. I realize this means playing it with care when approaching melee so I don't die to overaggro or splash, but it sounds like a fun challenge to me! If I wanted to play it breezy, I'd roll another scrapper.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on how I might improve the build toward these goals, or even your criticism of the basic concept.

My goals here:

• Perma (or near enough) Phantom Army. 
  • Proctastic attacks. Forget set bonuses, I want to pile on that wonky controller damage! 
  • As always, near-immunity to slows - achieved! /Cold gets me there pretty easily. : )
  • Beyond this, just general good stuff - grab whatever resists or cobbled defense I can while hyperfocused on the goals above.

Where I'm not quite happy with this build:

• Would be nice to shave the last 2 seconds off to have truly perma PA. Not a big deal.
  • Endurance management! The gimmick here is that my super high recharge is allowing me near perma heat loss, and consume is a bridge when needed as well. Obviously this is not a low-maintenance solution, but I'm okay with it. It also won't exemplar super well. However, if there were a way to maintain my other priorities while siphoning slots for some end support, that would make life easier.
  • I'm really not sweating defense, but if there were a magical slotting strategy to get ranged def into ~33 territory, that might be worth it. I could get there pretty directly by swapping to WoTC and Coercive 6 slots, but I'd lose some solid damage and have to steal a slot somewhere to get here.

Individual power notes/questions:

• Spectral is mostly a mule, but will be a decent ST supplement to the proc bombs.
  • Consume is mostly a mule as well, but I anticipate it will come in handy at times.
  • Do you see a big benefit in switching to a different epic? I want an epic aoe, but really hate psi tornado. Perma indom would be be a gimme if I picked it up, of course, and that would be very powerful. I really much prefer fireball both for fun factor and theme here.
  • Containment - it's not really a thing for Illusion I guess! If you have clever strats for containment on illusion, I'd love to hear them. As it stands, this is pretty much single target only, or the occasional bursty fun time when flash is up.
  • Right now I have musculature radial for my Alpha. Though I don't consider other incarnate powers in my actual build plans, I do like to incorporate the Alpha. I could go to Cardiac core instead - this would have a little over twice the end benefit, along with a res bump of course. However - Damage!

The build:

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.1.2.5
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Science Controller
Primary Power Set: Illusion Control
Secondary Power Set: Cold Domination
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Teleportation
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Fire Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Blind -- HO:Nucle(A), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(40), NrnSht-Dam%(40), UnbCns-Dam%(43), GldJvl-Dam%(45), Apc-Dam%(46)
Level 1: Infrigidate -- HO:Lyso(A), ImpSwf-Dam%(3), IceMisTrmt-+ColdDmg(3), AchHee-ResDeb%(17), ShlBrk-%Dam(37), TchofLadG-%Dam(37)
Level 2: Ice Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(46)
Level 4: Deceive -- CrcPrs-Conf%(A), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(5), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(5), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(15), CrcPrs-Conf(15)
Level 6: Flash -- UnbCns-Hold(A), UnbCns-Hold/Rchg(7), UnbCns-Acc/Hold/Rchg(7), UnbCns-Acc/Rchg(9), UnbCns-EndRdx/Hold(9)
Level 8: Spectral Wounds -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(11), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), Apc-Acc/Rchg(13), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(13)
Level 10: Glacial Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 12: Group Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 14: Combat Jumping -- Rct-ResDam%(A)
Level 16: Frostwork -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(17), Prv-Heal(25), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(46), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(50), Prv-Heal/Rchg(50)
Level 18: Phantom Army -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(19), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(25), SlbAll-Build%(31), SlbAll-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34)
Level 20: Arctic Fog -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(21), RedFrt-Def(21), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(23)
Level 22: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(23)
Level 24: Teleport -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 26: Spectral Terror -- SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(27), SprWiloft-EndRdx/Rchg(27), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(29), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(31), GlmoftheA-Dam%(31)
Level 28: Benumb -- Acc-I(A), RechRdx-I(29)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 32: Phantasm -- ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(A), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(33), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(33), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(34), ExpStr-Dam%(34)
Level 35: Sleet -- Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(A), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(36), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(36), Rgn-Dmg(37)
Level 38: Heat Loss -- SynSck-EndMod(A), SynSck-Dam/Rech(39), SynSck-EndMod/Rech(39), SynSck-Dam/Rech/Acc(39), SynSck-Dam/Acc/End(40)
Level 41: Fire Ball -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(42), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42), JvlVll-Dam%(42), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(43), PstBls-Dam%(43)
Level 44: Fire Shield -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), GldArm-ResDam(45), GldArm-End/Res(45)
Level 47: Consume -- SynSck-Dam/Acc/End(A), SynSck-Dam/Rech/Acc(48), SynSck-EndMod(48), SynSck-EndMod/Rech(48), SynSck-Dam/Rech(50)
Level 49: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Containment 
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon 
------------

Edited by Onlyasandwich
Swapped some slotting.

If you haven't already, look into the Sorcery pool instead of TP. Mystic Flight throws in a nice free TP, Arcane Bolt gives you a good ST attack that benefits from Containment (and has a power boost of its own), and some people really swear by Rune of Protection.

Also, no bonus procs in Health and Stamina? Hate END do you? Or is Consume just that good?

Finally, I personally find PA slumping to the ground and vanishing reminds me to launch them again, so I don't mind a few seconds downtime, but I find the Base Buff that increases attack speed for a few junk salvage to be an excellent way to fill in those little gaps an hour-and-a-half at a time. (P2W Offensive buff is another option, of course, but more pricey and only an hour per.)

Looks a like a really enjoyable build to play, have fun with it!

• Thanks 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

36 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

If you haven't already, look into the Sorcery pool instead of TP. Mystic Flight throws in a nice free TP, Arcane Bolt gives you a good ST attack that benefits from Containment (and has a power boost of its own), and some people really swear by Rune of Protection.

Also, no bonus procs in Health and Stamina? Hate END do you? Or is Consume just that good?

Finally, I personally find PA slumping to the ground and vanishing reminds me to launch them again, so I don't mind a few seconds downtime, but I find the Base Buff that increases attack speed for a few junk salvage to be an excellent way to fill in those little gaps an hour-and-a-half at a time. (P2W Offensive buff is another option, of course, but more pricey and only an hour per.)

Looks a like a really enjoyable build to play, have fun with it!

Hello, I have questions regarding Sorcery. No one mentioned anything in my post, so I should ask you. ^^

Arcane Bolt, is it better to slot with lots of procs, or just use IO for set bonuses? Rune of Protection, does anyone slot it with Recharge IO? How about +Psi Resistance IO? I wonder if Mystic Flight/TP is better than Flight pool. Sorry, I haven't play trollers since last two updates to Homecoming. I'm clueless.

24 minutes ago, Chargestone said:

Rune of Protection, does anyone slot it with Recharge IO?

RoP's recharge can't be enhanced.

• Thumbs Up 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

1 hour ago, DoctorDitko said:

Sorcery pool

Great point on Mystic Flight! If I'm only grabbing TP, no big reason not to just grab MF instead. I don't really want to lose tactics though, and don't see enough power flexes to pick up Rune. I guess I could drop spectral for arcane, but not sure what I'd drop for Rune if I'm keeping tactics. I sort of like the idea of relying on my powers and tactics to keep me safe instead of defense, or even heavy resist layers.

End consumption is a real issue on this build until Heat Loss for sure. However, I'm more focused on maximizing recharge and damage first, relying on Heat Loss, Consume, and maybe even Ageless at some point to make up the difference. If you see any slotting strategies that would free up space for 1-3 End support slots, I'd love to hear recommendations! I'm still thinking it may be a good idea to switch to Cardiac Core.

Honestly no - consume is not that good. It is slow to animate and on a long recharge. Heat loss is the primary sustain. Consume is here to be a mule and occasionally fill me up, or help protect against -end. At the very least it has a wide range and you don't have to be too close in to use it.

I haven't experimented with procs much in Arcane Bolt. I usually use it to fill in my Blind-Spectral Wounds 1-2 punch.

It's pretty darn good if it's lit up with Arcane Empowerment, so a good finisher there. Head on over to the test server and play around. Especially since they sped up the animation, I'm quite fond of it.

Enjoy!

Edited by DoctorDitko
Fingers! Mine ancient foe!

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

If you want to go Mu instead of Fire, you could pick up Power Sink (which has a 2 minute recharge). Granted Ball Lightning is no Fire Ball.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

32 minutes ago, Uun said:

If you want to go Mu instead of Fire, you could pick up Power Sink (which has a 2 minute recharge). Granted Ball Lightning is no Fire Ball.

I definitely considered that! Power Sink is indeed a more powerful end management tool than consume, though both are far from perfect.

But yeah - it's all about the fireball here. 😄