Split energy blast into 2 sets...

biostem

1 hour ago, biostem said:

We don't need more damage types, but both sets could benefit from an expansion in what damage types they deal:

Radiation could also deal some toxic damage, and electricity could deal some fire damage.

IMO, Sonic should be smashing damage, since you are literally pelting your target with what amounts to compressed or vibrating waves of air.

Rad and electricity make sense as you describe additional effects for them. Sonic would depend. Sonic as used by sonic blast is most definitely a smashing attack. You can hear the impact on the target as you pelt him/her/them with waves of compressed air. Sonic as used by the Sirens would work more like beam rifle. They aren't smacking you with waves of concussive force, they are causing vibrations that travel through the air that disrupt the target (or have other non-damaging effects like sleep [lullabies], confuse [charm like a bard], etc). Those vibrations could be defined as disruptive vibrations which would bypass smash defense and resist, disrupting normal physiological functions. Vibration as a theme is hard for me to define though, so, sorry.

(In this game with the damage types available and to prevent players from having untyped damage? Yeah, definitely smashing.)

15 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Sonic as used by the Sirens would work more like beam rifle.

The thing is, the game doesn't really differentiate between a sort of "psychic attack delivered in the form of a scream" and "someone shouting really really loud & forcefully", but I get your point...

On 3/2/2022 at 3:40 PM, biostem said:

We don't need more damage types, but both sets could benefit from an expansion in what damage types they deal:

Radiation could also deal some toxic damage, and electricity could deal some fire damage.

IMO, Sonic should be smashing damage, since you are literally pelting your target with what amounts to compressed or vibrating waves of air.

Well, "elements concepts" tend to come with not only a damage typing/typing combo but secondary effect and it's that combination that describes the element.

I think Radiation is fine because it's unique in dealing purely Energy damage combined with -def.  I know most players don't care about -def but that doesn't make the effect null...it's just the current meta de-emphasizes hit chance to such a degree that 95% is the default...shifting metas, IMO, should be something the devs should shoot for....but yeah, Rad blasts have the power of debuffing def into the -100%...on a Blaster!

Same with Elec blast. It's combination of energy, -END/-recovery AND the "shock" damage at low END is now the set's elemental concept.  I don't think it needs fire damage although that could be the design for a different set.

Although I do have an idea that could just copy the Energy Blast set but change some things (like the knockback), I don't feel like outlining a whole set but I think a cool mechanic for the set could borrow from Beam Rifle's Disintegrate mechanic combined with Rad Melee's Contaminate mechanic, making it a kind of "Heat Ray" set that does less damage (only energy) but will tag target as a 'Heat Conduit' that will start to take fire DoT when you keep blasting it enough but also apply fire AoEs around that target if you keep the heat up.  AoEs like Energy Torrent and Explosive Blasts could be capable of marking multiple targets with 'Heat Conduit' for a brief moment (like 3 seconds), allowing all targets to be able to give off fire AoEs for that small window.  Nova would be the one I'd suggest the most drastic change to though, making its activation *much* longer and making it a DoT that holds and provides the user +absorb to around half their HP while it casts (kind of to give it the Dual Pistols vibe) since that would be the only defensive tool the set has.  It would be a mechanics-based Fire Blast with the look of Energy Blast, basically.

The other idea would be a DoT version of Energy Blast with a toxic addition.  Its elemental concept would be a niche "corrosive energy" elemental concept that melts physical objects into goo rather than split them apart on a molecular level (like Beam Rifle).  It wouldn't have all the Knockback but I'd still have some defensive utility in its range because it would apply -movement and also have a mechanic also borrowed from Beam Rifle's Disintegrate mechanic that tags a target with your various blasts to then summon caltrop-like 5ft patches that drastically slow enemies that get caught in them.  Every blast has a short "Dissolve" trigger on them that will not only cause them to possibly drop an "acid patch" but also cause your follow up attacks to cause some minor-to-moderate toxic DoT.  It will look like Energy Blast but it has -movement as its core defense and requires more constant energy flinging to keep its damage up. It's nuke would be its main source of Burst as I'd give it a big energy damage PBAoE + a large acid patch that does high AoE damage for a short period after the blast.

On 2/28/2022 at 4:00 PM, MTeague said:

I sort of want every power in every powerset to apply a mag 200 knockback for April Fool's Day now.

Including aura heals.

You had me at "every power in every powerset to apply a mag 200 knockback"

Resident certified baby

5 hours ago, Naraka said:

Well, "elements concepts" tend to come with not only a damage typing/typing combo but secondary effect and it's that combination that describes the element.

I think Radiation is fine because it's unique in dealing purely Energy damage combined with -def.  I know most players don't care about -def but that doesn't make the effect null..

I think that's because Achilles: Chance for -res is a VERY expensive enhancement to throw into every power you have? Because im pretty sure you CAN do that on sets like Rad or Stone where EVERYTHING applies a -def.

5 hours ago, Naraka said:

Same with Elec blast. It's combination of energy, -END/-recovery AND the "shock" damage at low END is now the set's elemental concept.  I don't think it needs fire damage although that could be the design for a different set.

"shock" is such a glowup. I'd like if it found its way onto the melee elec sets.

Resident certified baby