Mind/Psi, Elec/Psi or Fire/Psi???

muddydom

Out of those three builds, which is the better choice. I am looking for a nice solo/team build with full incarnates with any of those three builds!

• Thumbs Up 1

1Jpjm4N.pngDoctor Dosage (Rad/Fire) uoQQiIu.pngHeat Source (Fire/Psi) 1xyhk8s.pngSister Spark (Elec/Elec)

I absolutely used to love my Fire/psi back before NC soft closed shut down servers. I am not sure how it stacks up to other builds today, but once it was fully built out with sets and incarnates, it was insanely powerful. I am in the process of building it back up currently since joining homecoming servers.  Fire imps can be a bit unruly but I liked the damage and it was fun.

I had  a guild-mate back in the day who ran mind/psi, and he was forever complaining about its performance compared to other builds.

I have no experience with electric primary so I am no help there.

Mind is a great control set and Psi is a good aoe assault set.  They're an ironic pairing that seems to have less synergy than say Fire/Psi or Plant/Psi.  If you're going Psi Assault I'd go with either of those controls.  

IMO Psi has four key characteristics, mostly deriving from the power Drain Psyche. If you happen to have used that power on a Blaster before you may already be familiar with what to expect. 

The takeaways:

1. Psi is the "sustainable" Dominator set, the only set they have that has both a strong source of healing/Regen and Recovery.
  2. Psi is very recharge dependent. Not a remarkable set unless you spend some cash to gain global recharge. If you aren't looking to IO its probably mediocre overall. (Still playable, of course but a deep analysis of its strengths is probably not necessary.)
  3. Psi Assault pays for Drain Psyche with weak ranged blasts (with the exception of the snipe). To make the damage bearable against single targets, you'll likely need to use the set's two melee attacks. This has obvious risks during high risk fights versus AVs and is the biggest setback of the set IMO.
  4. Drain Psyche is a point blank, small radius AoE, and its effects last just 30 seconds. So, a lot of the battle tactics involve gathering enemies into clusters in order to vampire from them. This is a bit safer to do on a Dominator than on a Blaster. 

[Possible 5th distinction: Psi is the only Dominator support set with a -Regen debuff. Psi Dominators have as much -Regen as well respected support characters like Cold or Thermal Radiation Defenders. It's also twice as high on a Dominator versus a Blaster (-500% versus -250%). I believe this debuff works out to around -21 HP/second. This probably won't affect your overall build but it's worth noting, not a lot of Psi players understand that in AV fights they should treat their Drain Psyche like a Cold Defender treats Benumb.]

My quick and dirty, not entirely fair ratings for Psi pairings:

• Dark/Psi: One of if not the tankiest Dominator builds possible, as long as enough enemies are around to apply Drain Psyche. Only real weakness is standard Psi lowish single target damage. This is one of those builds I'm always scared a developer will see in action and assume the entire Dominator archetype plays like this. 🙂 Dark Control's hold has 1.67 animation time, in the middle for Control sets, which isn't great, but isn't bad either.

• Plant/Psi: Another of the truly frightening Dominator builds. Damage in Carrion Creepers helps recover from from of Psi's okayish damage, but this is more of an AoE character. May struggle with single target damage, but again that's standard for Psi Assault. To kill you, enemies need to get past Creepers, Seeds of Confusion, and your huge Regen buff.  

• Fire/Psi: It's good. Very good. Plant or Dark good? Not sure I'd go that far, but it does have better single target damage than either, due to being able to proc out Char. DP covers Hot Feet's huge endurance costs. Only real downside here is general Fire Control inability to keep its own pets alive, since DP doesnt do anything to help them. You'll note many ages ago this build used to be used by Villains to farm, and the build hasn't gotten any worse since those days. A solid A tier choice.

• Elec/Psi: IMO this is A or B tier, depending on what you want out of a character. With this, you're really tripling down on the "vampiric" role. It's great and a lot of fun when it works, possibly frustrating when enemies are too dangerous to engage up close, because you don't have any AoE mezzes that Dominate other than the 240 second recharge hold. I'd give this a higher ranking if Synaptic Overload applied Domination on its chains. Conflict of interest alert: I "main" one of these. He's a good, not perfect character. It's fun to play though, quite different from other Psi Dominators. Note the single target Hold has a 2.17 second animation time, the longest of any control set, and that can significantly slow down your ability to burn down bosses if you need to ensure your safety during the last stages of a battle.

• Earth/Psi: Two solid sets that neither specifically interfere or assist each other. The worst thing I can say is Earth doesn't help cover Psi's single target damage hole. But if that's the worst I can say, that's actually really good. I wish Earthquake animated faster. Volcanic Gasses doesn't Dominate, but doesn't need to be amazing; it is easily the best of the AoE holds. Otherwise this is a great choice. 

• Mind/Psi: With this, we're getting into unusual playstyles that make it hard to assign a rank. Mind Control is the "sneaky" controls set that lets you set up controls without alerting enemies. But then thrown in there it has Terrify, a cone Fear/damage power that encourages a Rambo style of play. Note that you can use Mass Hypnosis to sleep entire enemy groups and then discretely Drain Psyche them without waking them up. You can even do a combo of Mass Hypnosis > Fold Space > Drain Psyche, so you're opening every fight with maxed out Regen and Recovery. Probably can't pull that off on a team though... like I said, hard to rate. Note, Mind Control's Dominate animates at the same speed as Fire Control's Char and can be procced out to help fill in the single target chain. It also must be said that every player will either learn to live with Mass Confusions 240 second recharge or else walk away from Mind Control a bit frustrated. I'm one of the latter, The set does have its fans, though. 

• Gravity/Psi: Overall I don't have good things to say about Gravity Control. But this specific combo is actually complimentary. Wormhole and Drain Psyche have natural synergy, and Gravity Control happens to have Psi's weak single target ranged game with Lift. If you must roll a Gravity Control Dominator, this would probably be my top recommendation.

• Ice/Psi: Psi is one of the better Ice pairings. DP helps cover for endurance issues from running Arctic Air. Fun to play. Usual issues with low single target damage. Both Ice and Psi have lots of -Recharge, it will make you wish -Recharge was more useful. 😄 

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, oedipus_tex said:

IMO Psi has four key characteristics, mostly deriving from the power Drain Psyche. If you happen to have used that power on a Blaster before you may already be familiar with what to expect. 

The takeaways:

1. Psi is the "sustainable" Dominator set, the only set they have that has both a strong source of healing/Regen and Recovery.
  2. Psi is very recharge dependent. Not a remarkable set unless you spend some cash to gain global recharge. If you aren't looking to IO its probably mediocre overall. (Still playable, of course but a deep analysis of its strengths is probably not necessary.)
  3. Psi Assault pays for Drain Psyche with weak ranged blasts (with the exception of the snipe). To make the damage bearable against single targets, you'll likely need to use the set's two melee attacks. This has obvious risks during high risk fights versus AVs and is the biggest setback of the set IMO.
  4. Drain Psyche is a point blank, small radius AoE, and its effects last just 30 seconds. So, a lot of the battle tactics involve gathering enemies into clusters in order to vampire from them. This is a bit safer to do on a Dominator than on a Blaster. 

[Possible 5th distinction: Psi is the only Dominator support set with a -Regen debuff. Psi Dominators have as much -Regen as well respected support characters like Cold or Thermal Radiation Defenders. It's also twice as high on a Dominator versus a Blaster (-500% versus -250%). I believe this debuff works out to around -21 HP/second. This probably won't affect your overall build but it's worth noting, not a lot of Psi players understand that in AV fights they should treat their Drain Psyche like a Cold Defender treats Benumb.]

• Dark/Psi: One of if not the tankiest Dominator builds possible, as long as enough enemies are around to apply Drain Psyche. Only real weakness is standard Psi lowish single target damage. This is one of those builds I'm always scared a developer will see in action and assume the entire Dominator archetype plays like this. 🙂 Dark Control's hold has 1.67 animation time, in the middle for Control sets, which isn't great, but isn't bad either.

• Plant/Psi: Another of the truly frightening Dominator builds. Damage in Carrion Creepers helps recover from from of Psi's okayish damage, but this is more of an AoE character. May struggle with single target damage, but again that's standard for Psi Assault. To kill you, enemies need to get past Creepers, Seeds of Confusion, and your huge Regen buff.  

• Fire/Psi: It's good. Very good. Plant or Dark good? Not sure I'd go that far, but it does have better single target damage than either, due to being able to proc out Char. DP covers Hot Feet's huge endurance costs. Only real downside here is general Fire Control inability to keep its own pets alive, since DP doesnt do anything to help them. You'll note many ages ago this build used to be used by Villains to farm, and the build hasn't gotten any worse since those days. A solid A tier choice.

• Elec/Psi: IMO this is A or B tier, depending on what you want out of a character. With this, you're really tripling down on the "vampiric" role. It's great and a lot of fun when it works, possibly frustrating when enemies are too dangerous to engage up close, because you don't have any AoE mezzes that Dominate other than the 240 second recharge hold. I'd give this a higher ranking if Synaptic Overload applied Domination on its chains. Conflict of interest alert: I "main" one of these. He's a good, not perfect character. It's fun to play though, quite different from other Psi Dominators. Note the single target Hold has a 2.17 second animation time, the longest of any control set, and that can significantly slow down your ability to burn down bosses if you need to ensure your safety during the last stages of a battle.

• Earth/Psi: Two solid sets that neither specifically interfere or assist each other. The worst thing I can say is Earth doesn't help cover Psi's single target damage hole. But if that's the worst I can say, that's actually really good. I wish Earthquake animated faster. Volcanic Gasses doesn't Dominate, but doesn't need to be amazing; it is easily the best of the AoE holds. Otherwise this is a great choice. 

• Mind/Psi: With this, we're getting into unusual playstyles that make it hard to assign a rank. Mind Control is the "sneaky" controls set that lets you set up controls without alerting enemies. But then thrown in there it has Terrify, a cone Fear/damage power that encourages a Rambo style of play. Note that you can use Mass Hypnosis to sleep entire enemy groups and then discretely Drain Psyche them without waking them up. You can even do a combo of Mass Hypnosis > Fold Space > Drain Psyche, so you're opening every fight with maxed out Regen and Recovery. Probably can't pull that off on a team though... like I said, hard to rate. Note, Mind Control's Dominate animates at the same speed as Fire Control's Char and can be procced out to help fill in the single target chain. It also must be said that every player will either learn to live with Mass Confusions 240 second recharge or else walk away from Mind Control a bit frustrated. I'm one of the latter, The set does have its fans, though. 

• Gravity/Psi: Overall I don't have good things to say about Gravity Control. But this specific combo is actually complimentary. Wormhole and Drain Psyche have natural synergy, and Gravity Control happens to have Psi's weak single target ranged game with Lift. If you must roll a Gravity Control Dominator, this would probably be my top recommendation.

• Ice/Psi: Psi is one of the better Ice pairings. DP helps cover for endurance issues from running Arctic Air. Fun to play. Usual issues with low single target damage. Both Ice and Psi have lots of -Recharge, it will make you wish -Recharge was more useful. 😄 

Awesome! Do you have a fire/psi build with incarnates?

I am eager to see how it does.

1Jpjm4N.pngDoctor Dosage (Rad/Fire) uoQQiIu.pngHeat Source (Fire/Psi) 1xyhk8s.pngSister Spark (Elec/Elec)

Earth control pairs nicely with psi because of the -def in multiple skills, allowing drain psyche to more reliably hit mobs. Quicksand is a great power to take for that purpose, as well for the large -run speed debuff on mobs that helps to keep mobs from surrounding your dom in melee. With earth also having a notably tough pet that has a taunt, it's a particularly survivable pairing. 

That said, as tex points out fire / psi is the most damaging "single target damage" pairing for a psi assault character. And, bonfire is very helpful for staying alive in melee in most situations. 

3 hours ago, muddydom said:

Awesome! Do you have a fire/psi build with incarnates?

I am eager to see how it does.

I don't have one offhand. You can extrapolate a basic one from looking at /Psi builds and Fire/ builds.

You can see a recent discussion about Fire Control here: 

You can see a couple of older builds I made here. There's a number of things I'd slot differently with knowledge I have in 2022, mainly how I'd slot the Dominator ATO. But the Elec/Psi build there is reasonably solid. 

For Fire/Psi I'd probably take the Ice APP, not whatever I picked here for Elec/Psi (I don't like Sleet or Rain of Ice on Elec builds because it breaks Sleep). Fire/Psi won't have that issue, and its worth using the huge endurance gains from Drain Psy as a source for unlimited Sleets.  

BTW regarding that second post above, one thing you'll notice about how I was slotting in 2020 versus how I'd do it in 2022 is proccing out Char. I didn't in that original Fire/Ice build above, but probably should have. Putting Char into the attack chain lets you hold stuff without losing momentum on damage, which can be important. I also have a lot more respect for Dark Assault now than I did then, mainly from being persuaded by other players to give it another try. I now have to admit it's a great set and I was slotting/playing poorly. 

Edited by oedipus_tex

On 3/3/2022 at 10:20 PM, oedipus_tex said:

The takeaways:

im looking for a plant/psi buil cant see one anywhere

18 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

im looking for a plant/psi buil cant see one anywhere

5 minute build thrown together 

Spoiler

This Villain build was built using Mids Reborn 3.1.2.5
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 49 Natural Dominator
Primary Power Set: Plant Control
Secondary Power Set: Psionic Assault
Power Pool: Concealment
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Ice Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Strangler -- SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprAscoft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(11), SprAscoft-EndRdx/Rchg(11), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(13), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(13), SprAscoft-Rchg/+Dmg%(15)
Level 1: Psionic Dart -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Roots -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(5), PstBls-Dam%(7), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(7), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(9), SprDmnGrs-Rchg/Fiery Orb(9)
Level 4: Mind Probe -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Dam%(43), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(46), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(48), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(49)
Level 6: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 8: Seeds of Confusion -- CrcPrs-Conf(A), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(27), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(27), CrcPrs-Conf%(29), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(29), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(31)
Level 10: Infiltration -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 12: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 14: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(15)
Level 16: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(17), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(17), ShlWal-Def(19), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(19)
Level 18: Vines -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(25), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(31), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(34)
Level 20: Drain Psyche -- PwrTrns-+Heal(A), PwrTrns-EndMod(21), PwrTrns-Dam/Rech(21), PwrTrns-Dam/EndMod(23), PwrTrns-Dam/Acc/End(23), PwrTrns-Dam/Acc/Rech/End(25)
Level 22: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 24: Tactics -- GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(A)
Level 26: Carrion Creepers -- Ann-ResDeb%(A), ExpStr-Dam%(34), IceMisTrmt-+ColdDmg(34), TraoftheH-Dam%(37), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(40), PstBls-Dam%(42)
Level 28: Subdue -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(42), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(43), Apc-Dam%(43)
Level 30: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(31)
Level 32: Fly Trap -- CaltoArm-Acc/Rchg(A), CaltoArm-Acc/Dmg(33), CaltoArm-Dmg/EndRdx(33), CaltoArm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33)
Level 35: Psionic Lance -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(A), StnoftheM-Dam%(36), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(36), StnoftheM-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg(37), GldJvl-Dam%(37)
Level 38: Psychic Shockwave -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(39), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), Obl-%Dam(39), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(40), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40)
Level 41: Sleet -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A)
Level 44: Frozen Armor -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(45), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(45), Rct-Def/Rchg(45), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(46), Rct-ResDam%(46)
Level 47: Ice Storm -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(47), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(47), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(48), Rgn-Knock%(48)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Domination 
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(3), Pnc-Heal/+End(3)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(5)
Level 49: Quick Form 
------------

or

Spoiler

This Villain build was built using Mids Reborn 3.1.2.5
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 49 Natural Dominator
Primary Power Set: Plant Control
Secondary Power Set: Psionic Assault
Power Pool: Concealment
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Ice Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Strangler -- UnbCns-Dam%(A), GldJvl-Dam%(9), GldNet-Dam%(11), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(11), NrnSht-Dam%(13)
Level 1: Psionic Dart -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Roots -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(5), PstBls-Dam%(7), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(7), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(9), SprDmnGrs-Rchg/Fiery Orb(13)
Level 4: Mind Probe -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Dam%(43), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(46), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(48), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(49)
Level 6: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 8: Seeds of Confusion -- CrcPrs-Conf(A), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(27), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(27), CrcPrs-Conf%(29), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(29), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(31)
Level 10: Infiltration -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 12: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 14: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(15)
Level 16: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(17), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(17), ShlWal-Def(19), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(19)
Level 18: Vines -- SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprAscoft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(25), SprAscoft-EndRdx/Rchg(31), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(34), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(42), SprAscoft-Rchg/+Dmg%(49)
Level 20: Drain Psyche -- PwrTrns-+Heal(A), PwrTrns-EndMod(21), PwrTrns-Dam/Rech(21), PwrTrns-Dam/EndMod(23), PwrTrns-Dam/Acc/End(23), PwrTrns-Dam/Acc/Rech/End(25)
Level 22: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 24: Tactics -- GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(A)
Level 26: Carrion Creepers -- PstBls-Dam%(A), ExpStr-Dam%(34), IceMisTrmt-+ColdDmg(34), TraoftheH-Dam%(37), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(40)
Level 28: Subdue -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(42), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(43), Apc-Dam%(43)
Level 30: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(31)
Level 32: Fly Trap -- CaltoArm-Acc/Rchg(A), CaltoArm-Acc/Dmg(33), CaltoArm-Dmg/EndRdx(33), CaltoArm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33)
Level 35: Psionic Lance -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(A), StnoftheM-Dam%(36), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(36), StnoftheM-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg(37), GldJvl-Dam%(37)
Level 38: Psychic Shockwave -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(39), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), Obl-%Dam(39), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(40), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40)
Level 41: Sleet -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A)
Level 44: Frozen Armor -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(45), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(45), Rct-Def/Rchg(45), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(46), Rct-ResDam%(46)
Level 47: Ice Storm -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(47), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(47), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(48), Rgn-Knock%(48)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Domination 
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(3), Pnc-Heal/+End(3)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(5)
Level 49: Quick Form 
------------

Edited by kiramon
  • Like 1