NullReferenceException errors make Mids unusable (2022-03-09, 3.2.17)

Kartanian

I have had the unable to check for updates error since the January patch, but now on a new install to try to fix that, I have a new error that makes Mids completely unable to launch.

I downloaded and attempted to install the 3.2.17 release with file 3.2.17.72, database 2022.02.22 on two different computers. One is a brand new laptop and I left the Camel defaults unchanged. On the older desktop, I installed to a D:\Programs\Mids Reborn\ folder. In both cases, I got the same error on launch. The new install to the older computer did not give me any messages about removing or updating the old version. It just installed.

Any suggestions?

midsreborn new install launch error.png

I think I have fixed this on the desktop.

I uninstalled the attempted (new) installation and deleted the old folder in its entirety. I reinstalled from scratch, leaving the install location as the default. (This is NOT my preference, but it seems to be required.) I was able to launch the Mids Reborn app after this reinstall. I then went to Options > Configuration > Updates & Paths and set the "Save Builds To:" location to my previous builds folder. Everything appears to work as long as I accept the default install location.

I will go test this on my laptop and see how that works there, too.

Nope. For some reason, this continues to fail on the other computer. I have uninstalled, scrapped the .exe installer, re-downloaded it, and installed again, with this error code.

I am really not sure what the problem is.

db file missing error.png

Edited by Kartanian

This occurs when the application cannot find the database or it has been tampered with in unrecommended ways. Check the data folder inside the install dir and ensure the Homecoming data files are there, there should be quite a few I12.mhd being on the most important.

I am merely the guy with a keyboard and monitor under the stairs.

That helped, thank you, but maybe not in the way laid out. 🙂 

I went looking for the install directory and found that there was already a Mids Reborn folder there with a .json file different from the Mids Reborn 3.2.17 install folder. I deleted both folders and tried installing fresh from the installer and that worked. The behavior of Mids on my system is a bit klunkier than before (red/blue color changes, inability to easily grab and drag the app window to resize it, etc.), but at least it is working properly.

16 hours ago, crytilis said:

This occurs when the application cannot find the database or it has been tampered with in unrecommended ways. Check the data folder inside the install dir and ensure the Homecoming data files are there, there should be quite a few I12.mhd being on the most important.