Beast/Thermal Build Critique

ZekeStenzland

I've got a new L14 Mastermind (see build below for reference), and I'd like some feedback on it.

First, I planned to put the Kismet +Acc in Combat Jumping, and that the extra +ToHit would help the pets. But I think maybe I got that wrong and it will only help me and not the pets at all. Is that correct? Hypothetically, if a summon pet power took Defense sets (robots, perhaps?), would the Kismet +Acc help the pet if slotted there?

Second, if I understand City of Data correctly, Power Boost will amplify effects of some powers by ~65% (0.44 * melee_stun (which is 1.49 for MM))

• Heals (Fortify Pack, Warmth, Cauterize, Heat Exhaustion, Health)
  • Endurance (Heat Exhaustion, Stamina)
  • Defense (Fortify Pack, Melt Armor, Combat Jumping, Maneuvers, Scorpion Shield)
  • ToHit  (Forge, Tactics)

Will it boost all these powers? This seems really useful on the face of it, but I don't have a lot of experience with it. Is it that good?

Third, I know the MM attacks are high endurance, low damage attacks. But thermal doesn't feel very busy so far. And my attack rotation isn't going to get better as I level. It's CallHawk > CallRavens > SandsOfMu/NemStaff > Throwing Knives. I feel sad that P2W powers are over half my attack rotation. It feels like I need a 3rd attack, but I'm not sure what to give up, what attack to take, or where to scavenge slots from. I imagine swapping out Super Jump for Call Swarm. Stealing 2 slots from Fortify Pack, and 1 each from Combat Jumping, Health and Stamina. Are there better ideas for what to swap out or where to steal slots? Or even picking a different attack?

Last, any other comments on the build? It has 75% recharge before Hasten, but only 12-33% defenses and 14-19% resists. Not sure there's all that much I can do about it without a complete rebuild. Or comments on how pets are slotted. Got most of the pet bonuses, but still missing %buildUp and one of the +def ones.

This Villain build was built using Mids Reborn 3.2.17
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Savannah Giorgio: Level 50 Natural Mastermind
Primary Power Set: Beast Mastery
Secondary Power Set: Thermal Radiation
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Summon Wolves -- SprMarofS-Dmg(A), SprMarofS-Acc/EndRdx(3), SvrRgh-Acc/Dmg(3), SvrRgh-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SvrRgh-PetResDam(5), CaltoArm-+Def(Pets)(7)
Level 1: Warmth -- DctWnd-Heal(A), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx(7), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(9), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(9), DctWnd-EndRdx/Rchg(11)
Level 2: Call Hawk -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(15), GldJvl-Dam%(17), ExpStr-Dam%(17), CldSns-%Dam(19), Apc-Dam%(19)
Level 4: Fire Shield -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(21), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(21), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(23)
Level 6: Train Beasts -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 8: Cauterize -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(23), Prv-Heal/Rchg(25), Prv-Heal(25), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(27), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(27)
Level 10: Call Ravens -- Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), Ann-ResDeb%(29), TchofLadG-%Dam(29), ShlBrk-%Dam(31), AchHee-ResDeb%(31), PstBls-Dam%(31)
Level 12: Summon Lions -- SprMarofS-Dmg/EndRdx(A), SprMarofS-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(33), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(34), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(34)
Level 14: Plasma Shield -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(34), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(36), GldArm-3defTpProc(36), ImpArm-ResPsi(36)
Level 16: Combat Jumping -- Ksm-ToHit+(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(37), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(37)
Level 18: Fortify Pack -- NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(A), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(37), NmnCnv-Heal(39), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(39), RedFrt-Def(39), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(40)
Level 20: Thaw -- HO:Ribo(A)
Level 22: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(40), LucoftheG-Def(42), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(42)
Level 24: Tactics -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(40)
Level 26: Summon Dire Wolf -- SprMarofS-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMarofS-EndRdx/+Resist/+Regen(42), SprCmmoft-Acc/Dmg(43), SprCmmoft-Dmg/EndRdx(43), SprCmmoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), SprCmmoft-Rchg/PetAoEDef(45)
Level 28: Forge -- AdjTrg-ToHit(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(45), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg(45)
Level 30: Super Jump -- Lnch-+Special(A)
Level 32: Tame Beasts -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 35: Heat Exhaustion -- Acc-I(A), RechRdx-I(46)
Level 38: Melt Armor -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A), AnlWkn-Acc/DefDeb(46), AnlWkn-DefDeb(46), AnlWkn-Acc/Rchg/EndRdx(48), AnlWkn-%ToHit(48)
Level 41: Scorpion Shield -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(48), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(50), Rct-ResDam%(50)
Level 44: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 47: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Power Boost -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Supremacy 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(11), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(13)
Level 1: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PwrTrns-EndMod(13), PwrTrns-+Heal(15)
Level 47: Double Jump 
Level 1: Alpha Howler Wolf 
Level 1: Howler Wolf 
Level 26: Dire Wolf 
Level 12: Lioness 
Level 1: Pack Mentality 
------------

1. Kismet's +6 does not help pets, just the Mastermind.

2. In most instances, the effects of Power Boost only last a few seconds.  On toggles like Scorpion Shield, it just a blip. Where is shines are long- running buffs. In those instances the power takes a snapshot at the time of casting and holds that value for the full duration of the power. 

3. Mastermind personal attacks are  if you have the spare Endurance and slots in my view, but it probably shouldn't be a priority.  Beast's personal  attacks help build up set's unique resource (the thing that works with Fortiy Pack, I can't recall what it's called) so there's that. You can also slot some IO enchancement with Proc effects.

• 3 weeks later

It sounds to me like your a newer player to the game Zeke.  Which is a good thing, I think the game needs more new players joining.

Instead of getting into the weeds with all the powers, I think you should be trying stuff out and seeing what you like and dislike.   I say this because your going to take your MM places that other players do not.  I think the content you choose to play will determine some of the powers you choose in your final build.  Always keep in mind that you can /respec your build throughout your journey to L50.  Don't be afraid to take powers and find that you don't like them later on.

Having said all this, I'm going to give you my 2 cents on the build you posted.  I would loose Hasten.  Get rid of it.  If you feel that at a later time you need +Recharge, I would address that in your Incarnate Alpha slot.  Also, by loosing Hasten you have the ability to auto another power.   Maybe Warmth would be a good choice.

• 3 weeks later

For completeness' sake, this is eventually what I ended up with...

In the end, I picked up all the primary and secondary powers. I like having 3 attacks for most of my career. I went with Hasten, not because this build needs +recharge, but because I couldn't think of anything else that would be useful with only 2 slots. In hindsight, if I wasn't mostly soloing, I'd probably have taken the rez quite a bit earlier, but I didn't read the description very closely and thought it was a self-rez -- which is largely useless on a mastermind.

He mostly soloed his way through Praetoria, First Ward, and Night Ward without too much trouble, and soloed Tina Macintyre/Maria Jenkins just fine. His personal defenses are probably lower than what a lot of folks are comfortable with (13-30% def, 13-25% res), but between the set bonuses and pet self buffs, their defenses and resistances are really good. I mostly run at +0/x3, but I may push things up higher once I'm incarnated a bit.

Of all the enemies in the game, what gives me the most trouble so far? Monkeys. The fear clouds they give off send the pets zooming uncontrollably off to Timbuktu, aggroing practically every other spawn on the map. The pets were amazing vs ninjas in SBB yet did almost no damage vs monkeys. Sigh...

This Villain build was built using Mids Reborn 3.2.17
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Savannah Giorgio: Level 50 Natural Mastermind
Primary Power Set: Beast Mastery
Secondary Power Set: Thermal Radiation
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Summon Wolves -- SprMarofS-Dmg(A), SprMarofS-Acc/EndRdx(3), SvrRgh-Acc/Dmg(3), SvrRgh-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SvrRgh-PetResDam(5), CaltoArm-+Def(Pets)(7)
Level 1: Warmth -- DctWnd-Heal(A), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx(7), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(9), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(9), DctWnd-EndRdx/Rchg(11)
Level 2: Call Hawk -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(13), GldJvl-Dam%(15), ExpStr-Dam%(15), CldSns-%Dam(17), Apc-Dam%(17)
Level 4: Fire Shield -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(19), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(19), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(21), GldArm-3defTpProc(21), ImpArm-ResPsi(23)
Level 6: Train Beasts -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 8: Cauterize -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(23), Prv-Heal/Rchg(25), Prv-Heal(25), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(27), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(27)
Level 10: Call Ravens -- Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), Ann-ResDeb%(29), TchofLadG-%Dam(29), ShlBrk-%Dam(31), AchHee-ResDeb%(31), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(31)
Level 12: Summon Lions -- SprMarofS-Dmg/EndRdx(A), SprMarofS-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(33), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(33), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(34), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(34)
Level 14: Plasma Shield -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(34), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(36)
Level 16: Call Swarm -- IceMisTrmt-Acc/Dam/End(A), IceMisTrmt-+ColdDmg(36), ImpSwf-Dam%(36), TchofLadG-%Dam(37), ShlBrk-%Dam(37), AchHee-ResDeb%(37)
Level 18: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(39)
Level 20: Fortify Pack -- NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(A), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(39), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(39), RedFrt-Def(40)
Level 22: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(40), LucoftheG-Def(40), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(42)
Level 24: Tactics -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(42)
Level 26: Summon Dire Wolf -- SprMarofS-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMarofS-EndRdx/+Resist/+Regen(42), SprCmmoft-Acc/Dmg(43), SprCmmoft-Dmg/EndRdx(43), SprCmmoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), SprCmmoft-Rchg/PetAoEDef(45)
Level 28: Forge -- AdjTrg-ToHit(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx(45), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg(45)
Level 30: Thaw -- HO:Ribo(A)
Level 32: Tame Beasts -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 35: Heat Exhaustion -- Acc-I(A), RechRdx-I(46)
Level 38: Melt Armor -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A), AnlWkn-Acc/DefDeb(46), AnlWkn-DefDeb(46), AnlWkn-Acc/Rchg/EndRdx(48), AnlWkn-DefDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 41: Scorpion Shield -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(48), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(50), Rct-ResDam%(50)
Level 44: Power of the Phoenix -- DctWnd-EndRdx/Rchg(A)
Level 47: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 1: Supremacy 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(11)
Level 1: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PwrTrns-+Heal(13)
Level 1: Alpha Howler Wolf 
Level 1: Howler Wolf 
Level 26: Dire Wolf 
Level 12: Lioness 
Level 1: Pack Mentality 
------------