Need help with an elec/energy/primal build

netphenix

Hello all,

After a long while, I decided to give Dominators a whirl. So, of course, I went Energy, and Elec because I love that set thematically but can't make it jive on Controllers. Now I need help building it.

I know I want permadom, so Hasten is pretty much a given, but I also like to take as many core set powers as I can instead of slot mule pool powers. That said, I'm open to suggestions and arguments. But most of all, I need tips on how to slot my character.

For example, it seems like Force Feedback needs to be proc'd in as many blasts as I can, but so does Sudden Acceleration. And I have no idea where the AT sets would do the most good.

So any pointers as to how to do this would be very, very appreciated. 😛

For my Energy dom I take Power Blast, Power Up, Total Focus, Snipe and Power Burst.  Those last three attacks are nasty and with recharge chasing permadom you'll have our chain pared down to those and a 4th attack.  Whirling Hands is meh.  I don't slot Forced Feedback all over since most of the powers have fast recharge already and low proc rates so I only slot that Force Feedback into my Snipe.  If you're going Primal that target aoe blast will net you good value for a Force Feedback proc and obviously you'll also want ET and a shield.  

Here's a rough draft of a possible build.

I have little experience with electric control. So the slotting choices could use some review by somebody who is experienced and skilled at building and playing the set. So, for example, I don't know from experience how well the placate and heal procs contribute when slotted into static field; it may be that the heal works well, but placate not as well.

As another caveat, I haven't play-tested whether replacing bone smasher with the slower animating and slower recharging energy transfer works or not. You might not end up with a smooth attack chain with what's here. Still, perhaps looking at a full build can offer a decent place to start for putting together your own build.

Good luck with your dominator, whichever direction you decide to take. 

This Villain build was built using Mids Reborn 3.2.17
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Dominator
Primary Power Set: Electric Control
Secondary Power Set: Energy Assault
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Force of Will
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Primal Forces Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Tesla Cage -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(3), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(3), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(5)
Level 1: Power Bolt -- HO:Nucle(A)
Level 2: Chain Fences -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprDmnGrs-Rchg/Fiery Orb(7)
Level 4: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(7), Rct-ResDam%(9)
Level 6: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(9)
Level 8: Conductive Aura -- PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/End(A), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/Rech(11), PreOptmz-EndMod/End(11)
Level 10: Mighty Leap -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 12: Static Field -- FrtHyp-Sleep(A), FrtHyp-Sleep/Rchg(13), FrtHyp-Acc/Sleep/Rchg(15), FrtHyp-Sleep/EndRdx(15), FrtHyp-Plct%(17), CaloftheS-Heal%(37)
Level 14: Weaken Resolve -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A)
Level 16: Power Up -- RechRdx-I(A), DS:DSyncSlowRechEnd(17)
Level 18: Paralyzing Blast -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(19), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(19), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(37)
Level 20: Whirling Hands -- Arm-Dmg/Rchg(A), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), Arm-Acc/Rchg(21), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(25), Arm-Dam%(25), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(37)
Level 22: Unleash Potential -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RechRdx-I(23), RechRdx-I(23)
Level 24: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 26: Synaptic Overload -- CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(A), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(27), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(27), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(36), CrcPrs-Conf%(36), CrcPrs-Conf(50)
Level 28: Total Focus -- SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(A), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(29), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(34), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(34), SprAscoft-Rchg/+Dmg%(36)
Level 30: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(31), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(31), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(31), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(34)
Level 32: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(33), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(33), ShlWal-Def(33)
Level 35: Sniper Blast -- Apc-Dmg/Rchg(A), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Apc-Acc/Rchg(39), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(39), Apc-Dam%(40), StnoftheM-Dam%(40)
Level 38: Power Burst -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), ExpStr-Dam%(43), GldJvl-Dam%(46), FrcFdb-Rechg%(46), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(48)
Level 41: Energy Transfer -- Hct-Dmg/Rchg(A), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Hct-Acc/Rchg(42), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(42), Hct-Dam%(43), Mk'Bit-Dam%(43)
Level 44: Temp Invulnerability -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(45), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(45), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(45), UnbGrd-Max HP%(46)
Level 47: Explosive Blast -- Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(48), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(48), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(50), FrcFdb-Rechg%(50)
Level 49: Conserve Power -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Domination 
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 1: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Prv-Absorb%(13)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 1: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 1: Energy Focus 
Level 49: Quick Form 
Level 10: Takeoff 
------------

Edited by EnjoyTheJourney

As an Electric/Energy you'll probably find that you have some key synergies and a few places where there are holes.

Synergies include:

• Power Up magnifies the effects of your endurance drains. This will allow you to drain endurance about twice as fast during the 10 seconds it is active. This also applies to your PBAoE aura, so can set up to some effective drains.
  • Energy Assault gets a Snipe. Always welcome on a Dominator set.
  • Energy Assault is mostly burst damage with few DOTs, which works well with Electric's sleep patch power when solo.
  • There is some synergy between Energy Assault's core mechanic (using Total Focus at close range to trigger the Energized self proc) and your aura power.
  • Power Up is always just a generally nice thing to have for added safety and control duration
  • Total Focus is a guaranteed Mag 6 Stun in Domination mode. Although you don't have a second Stun to stack on top of that to handle Elite Bosses, it's still a positive, because it lets you get around having to use Electric Control's slow animating single target Hold to deal with most bosses. (You can still use the Hold from range if you need to, obviously).
  • Energy Assault can be somewhat endurance heavy; Electric Control gets a Recovery bonus from its aura when surrounded by enemies.

The potential challenges include:

• Many powers in Electric Control don't benefit from Domination. This isn't unique to Elec/Energy, but its worth being aware of. It means your Assault set and APP will need to help carry the set a bit more.  
  • Energy Assault has no mitigation of any kind other than the magnifying effects of Power Up, unless you count the knocks and stuns it has--which I don't, because they are mostly single target. You are going to need to find a way to balance your endurance use. As mentioned above, the aura will help, but only when surrounded by enemies, and it still likely won't be enough. More importantly, you have no source of healing. While that's not that unusual for Dominators, Electric Control characters in my experience tend to eat a lot of damage.

Anyway, lately with Electric Control I've been rethinking my personal strategy. For a long time, I built these characters with Punch/Tough/Weave. Lately I've been leaning into taking the Force of Will pool instead, and taking Weaken Resolve/Mighty Leap/Unleash Potential. Unleash Potential is a Defense power that benefits from Power Up. You can't perma it, but it's significant Defense for 60 seconds.

For the APP power, I would consider taking the Mu pool. Mu offers Power Sink, an autohit power that refills your endurance bar and crashes the enemy's. With your endurance costs now basically covered, you can take Barrier Destiny instead of Ageless. By cycling between Unleash Potential and Barrier Destiny, you can maintain good defense much of the time. If you want a third source of mitigation, you can also take Surge of Power from this pool--it's not quite as effective as either of the other two powers, and has a crash at the end, but looks kind of cool, and it does cap most of your Resistances for a period of time.

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1