Name question? I don't think it's related to today's changes

Aisynia

Today's changes to costumes let me finally realize a concept that I have not felt was realized well before. So I renamed the existing character, and then tried to make a new one with the same name about 5 seconds later and it says it is unavailable. Now, this is not a name I would expect to disappear in 5 seconds, like someone was just waiting on the trigger. It's a first and last name, pretty specific. Now, there is a famous person with this name.. we aren't talking mega famous like Angelina Jolie or something, but, well it's my name. No I'm not the famous person, but sometimes I tell someone my name IRL and they are like "oh wow, like that singer's semi-famous sister?" and I'm like, with annoyance, "No, I'm me, not her."

So was this name blanked out and discredited since the last time I made her? Or is this some kind of system I am unaware of where I cannot use the name right after it's deleted, some kind of cooldown?

Thanks for any replies.

1 minute ago, Aisynia said:

Today's changes to costumes let me finally realize a concept that I have not felt was realized well before. So I renamed the existing character, and then tried to make a new one with the same name about 5 seconds later and it says it is unavailable. Now, this is not a name I would expect to disappear in 5 seconds, like someone was just waiting on the trigger. It's a first and last name, pretty specific. Now, there is a famous person with this name.. we aren't talking mega famous like Angelina Jolie or something, but, well it's my name. No I'm not the famous person, but sometimes I tell someone my name IRL and they are like "oh wow, like that singer's semi-famous sister?" and I'm like, with annoyance, "No, I'm me, not her."

So was this name blanked out and discredited since the last time I made her? Or is this some kind of system I am unaware of where I cannot use the name right after it's deleted, some kind of cooldown?

Thanks for any replies.

Same thing happened to me, I posted in the Bugs forum, hoping for an answer soon

Ask me about my City Of Heroes patch problem https://levelzeroems.com/search?q=City of Heroes

Now I am gonna hold off on pulling the trigger on making the Symphonic (or Symphony) Controller using the placeholder character I made to secure the name I liked (I haven't been camping on it forever I came up with it when the Symphonic (or Symphony) Control powers were announced in Beta).  A bug perhaps.  I look forward to seeing any resolution posted here?

• Like 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

I also had this happen. In fact I had a really good concept and name picked out.  Deleted the placeholder character (copy-n-pasted the name first) and immediately recreated the name (pasting to make sure I had the name right) and it refuses to let me create the character.  Complete exited and then re-entered the game and same thing.

Not the end of the world but this does seem like some kind of bug as I've done this many times before and never had this problem.

That is interesting but good to know.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

'Ran into this problem with a Symphony -awaiting place-holder here, too. 

I just ended up creating her with a different name and then renaming back to the original held name once she was done. (I *was* able to rename an existing character using that name on my secondary account, for what it's worth. Winging It over on my @Laughingcrow list was briefly Chujak just to see if the name had really been freed up by deleting the placeholder on @Coyotedancer... and then I switched him back. 😝 )

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

I created the new toon, logged, deleted the placeholder and immediately renamed the new character with the name so all is well to me it seems.