Trap/TA/Poison?

Zilean

On 9/8/2022 at 1:54 PM, Zilean said:

Thats the goal. Its just a bit hard to choose because I see so many knowledgeable people commenting on how to slot it, but when I look at their builds they are vastly different. You have proc monster builds, you have people who 6 slot flash arrow and then a few posts down someone else only 1 slots it. I love that there is a variety to choose from, but it is hard to make a decision.

You'll get so many respecs that I'd just pick a build and try it. Or better yet, try making your own based on your experiences with the set as you level.

I recommend a Trick arrow/Archery defender built for recharge is a monster. Highly recommended.

Traps are just ok on defenders imho. For the sake of brevity, I'll just say I prefer it on corruptors more than anything.

Poison is another I don't play on defenders. I resolved my poison defender to a controller due to the final power being an aura and therefore worked better for a melee-oriented controller (fire/poison in my case).

• 2 weeks later
On 10/27/2022 at 10:50 AM, Uun said:

Defender Corruptor
Controller
Mastermind
Acid Mortar 26.6% -def
26.6%-res
20% -def
20% -res
FFG 13.3% def 10% def
Seeker 26.6% -dmg
6.65% -tohit
20% -dmg
5% -tohit

Thanks for posting these but my issue still stands, I feel like these 3 differences are not enough to warrant playing Traps Def over Traps Con, Traps MM or Traps Corr.

As a primary I feel as though Def should get some shorter cooldowns across the board, as well as increased regen on Triage and potentially increased radius of specific powers such as TB, FFG, PT.

That said I don't think Traps for any AT is particularly high on the list of sets to buff/rework/change since its unpopular, fairly unique combined w/ the amount of resources being limited. Just my 2 cents.

2 hours ago, Disruptor said:

As a primary I feel as though Def should get some shorter cooldowns across the board, as well as increased regen on Triage and potentially increased radius of specific powers such as TB, FFG, PT.

I don't disagree on Triage Beacon, but there's no set in the game where defenders get shorter cooldowns or increased radii. The difference is always buff/debuff/damage values.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Uun said:

I don't disagree on Triage Beacon, but there's no set in the game where defenders get shorter cooldowns or increased radii. The difference is always buff/debuff/damage values.

Yes and I think those are flaws in the system exacerbated by power proliferation.

Certain sets may not have been balanced for certain ATs, the small value changes dont necessary compensate for the synergy of primary/secondaries, AT inherents or increased damage ect. Which is why I think many sets were AT specific originally, like MM not getting access to Kin for the longest time.

I talk about Traps cause its my favorite powerset, I've played most any type of Traps character and on Live you could never play Traps Con even at the end. When I finally did play Traps Con it felt so much better than Traps Def. The aoe holds synergize amazingly well with Traps. But like you said its not really a Trap specific thing its that most sets are not balanced individually for each AT.

3 hours ago, Disruptor said:

Thanks for posting these but my issue still stands, I feel like these 3 differences are not enough to warrant playing Traps Def over Traps Con, Traps MM or Traps Corr.

That said I don't think Traps for any AT is particularly high on the list of sets to buff/rework/change since its unpopular, fairly unique combined w/ the amount of resources being limited. Just my 2 cents.

You're not wrong that traps needs some tweaks on lots of cooldowns, but its not a defender specific issue, it's a traps issue.

Over on a corruptor at least I'd say its worth more on a defender, but vs like controller or mastermind it depends how you're playing it.

And yeah, triage/spirit tree really need the Disruption Arrow treatment and base regen increased to 250% (as opposed to 150% but you could no longer stack it, fair tradeoff to have it up more when need it or have it follow you more regen more reliably and earlier but a little less maxed out)

Acid mortar could use a radius increase/60s rech, and seekers need radius and target cap increased, stun chance upped to 100% too. Could honestly see it being autohit too at least for the -damage part, and it should be sturdier before it explodes as well.

Trip mine given the /devs treatment, and time bomb swapped for gun drone or a new power altogether more along the lines of gun drone or another debuff power or buff. (Any kind of team proccing end, recovery, or end discount would help a ton for traps)

Edited by WindDemon21
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, WindDemon21 said:

You're not wrong that traps needs some tweaks on lots of cooldowns, but its not a defender specific issue, it's a traps issue.

Over on a corruptor at least I'd say its worth more on a defender, but vs like controller or mastermind it depends how you're playing it.

And yeah, triage/spirit tree really need the Disruption Arrow treatment and base regen increased to 250% (as opposed to 150% but you could no longer stack it, fair tradeoff to have it up more when need it or have it follow you more regen more reliably and earlier but a little less maxed out)

Acid mortar could use a radius increase/60s rech, and seekers need radius and target cap increased, stun chance upped to 100% too. Could honestly see it being autohit too at least for the -damage part, and it should be sturdier before it explodes as well.

Trip mine given the /devs treatment, and time bomb swapped for gun drone or a new power altogether more along the lines of gun drone or another debuff power or buff. (Any kind of team proccing end, recovery, or end discount would help a ton for traps)

Oh I think everyone is in agreement that time bomb needs to be changed/reworked. It feels so bad leveling up a character and not selecting their tier 9 because of how useless it is. A huge part of the game is getting that lvl up and picking a new power, Time Bomb negates this so much because of how bad it is. 

EDIT: I have played on another server where they swapped out Time Bomb for Gun Drone, I dont think its a perfect solution but its a good bandaid temp fix. My preference would be a power that adds something unique to Traps whether its a AoE Taunt-bot (that PoptartsNinja suggested) or a strong single target Beartrap-like power w/ some secondary effect like end drain.

Time Bomb literally worst power in the game imo and its not close.

Edited by Disruptor
  • Thumbs Up 1

TLDR:

Would you rather have scourge and higher damage cap or the defender ATO procs with hypothetically additional slot/IO/power selection? That is the only main difference between the two in regards to traps from my experiences.

Context:

Def usually allows me to hit whatever my def/resist goal is while having more freedom with slot placement and choices of IOs/powers. Corr typically to reach similar values limits my choices as the slots/IOs are being built in mind of reaching X values.  In group play with other support ATs I would suggest corr since others help boost those values. Also Corr has  higher damage cap and scourge shines on higher hp targets. The defender passive is rather terrible when in actual team play scenarios. Solo  scourge allows the corr to clear targets "faster" but the difference between the two is minimal with the builds I tend to use ( pistol,beam,AR). Scourge is like having extra free procs in all attack powers or like a better end redux since its like "hitting twice" thus reducing overall end usage. The defender version of a trap setup is just easier when dealing with more troublesome types (arachnos/CoS). because it hits higher psi def without it being a IO focus ( because pool powers have much higher base values)  and the defender ATOs fire off really often so the healing/absorb proc pretty much keeps you in good standing while also keeping pets alive. So on the "harder" foe groups my Def variant clears it marginally quicker since its safer play and I can just focus on plowing things down while forgetting about my insp tray. Small team/towing lackey, Def brings a bit more healing coverage due to the ATOs. But As mentioned before, the actual debuff values between corr,troll,mm,def is minimal when it comes to traps ( MMs can get the resists and defense of trap pets higher so there is that but their version of acid motor is worst imho due to different slotting allowances). The only incentive for def  in regards to myself are the ATO procs and additional freedom with slots ( if that even happens to be a goal).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later
On 11/7/2022 at 7:59 PM, Disruptor said:

Oh I think everyone is in agreement that time bomb needs to be changed/reworked. It feels so bad leveling up a character and not selecting their tier 9 because of how useless it is. A huge part of the game is getting that lvl up and picking a new power, Time Bomb negates this so much because of how bad it is. 

EDIT: I have played on another server where they swapped out Time Bomb for Gun Drone, I dont think its a perfect solution but its a good bandaid temp fix. My preference would be a power that adds something unique to Traps whether its a AoE Taunt-bot (that PoptartsNinja suggested) or a strong single target Beartrap-like power w/ some secondary effect like end drain.

Time Bomb literally worst power in the game imo and its not close.

Yeah i've thoguht of that too but like you said gun drone would be a decent quick fix.

• Like 1