Controller Support Issue (Possible Bug?)

Faeriemage

I just started using a controller recently. I set up a keybind for it, set both of the bumpers to extra keys, and mapped all of my abilities how I wanted them. All of the modifier buttons (left trigger, left bumper, right bumper) work perfectly. In the menu I can set anything to a Right Trigger+ arrangement, and it registers there.  That being said, no matter how I configure a keybind for the right trigger, I can't get the game to recognize it outside the keybinds menu,

What have I done wrong?

Oh...the virtual mouse works perfectly fine.

what brand and model of controller are you using?

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Two different controllers.  First was an Afterglow Xbox 360 (I realize it is old) USB wired controller. It works perfectly for other games, of course. The second controller is the Microsoft Xbox controller that came with my Series S and run through my native Bluetooth on my system.

So first off, I use a Logitech F310 and functions differently than the XBox controllers. 

"Microsoft introduced a new input library called XInput specifically for the Xbox 360 controller. DirectInput and XInput provide benefits over normal Win32 input events: they enable an application to retrieve data from input devices even when the application is in the background." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectInput

"While DirectInput forms a part of the DirectX library, it has not been significantly revised since DirectX 8 (2001–2002). Microsoft recommends that new applications make use of the Windows message loop for keyboard and mouse input instead of DirectInput (as indicated in the Meltdown 2005 slideshow[2]), and to use XInput instead of DirectInput for Xbox 360 controllers." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectInput

My Logitech controller has a switch on the bottom to change between XInput and DirectInput. I have it set to DirectInput.

In the City of Heroes Keybind profile, I have it set to "default".

Logitech has a Profiler for the game controller. In there I have the ability to set "global" settings. If I make that game's settings a "persistent" profile, then, to the computer, the controller looks like a keyboard and functions like one (rather than a game controller).

[There are some issues with this mostly due to sticks. If you have the control set up to be automatically detected, the system might think the sticks aren't centered and it will start logging what input it thinks is occuring. easiest way to resolve this is not set up the controller to automatically be detected or unplug the controller if it happens]

I have created commands in the profiler for each keystroke and assigned them to the buttons, triggers, and sticks.

There are some issues that I found that I resolve through a couple of things that I keep getting told can't happen because of what I'm resolving but they do resolve the issue even though they aren't supposed to do so.

Sometimes the entire controller stops responding. If I toggle out of the game to another program and back in again, most of the time it will resolve it. Sometime I actually have to interact with the other window before toggling back.

My left stick button will stop responding. This has happened on multiple controllers of this same model. It seems to be triggered by being in Chrome and/or registry entries. Clearing cookies fixes it. Sometimes I use the registry cleaner on my antivirus (I run this about once a week or so at any rate). 

I really don't know what is causing it, but that fixes it so... there is that.

I'm not sure what kind of options you if any for a go-between program between the controller and the game, but, if i is just the one key/trigger, then that sounds odd to me and seems to fall into what what indicated in the last paragraph. If you have a go-between program, I would use to create a profile for city of heroes through than and do all your controller assignments through that instead of through the Keybind profile in-game.

• Thumbs Up 2

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.