The Legend of Aiden (Zelda)

TheZag

I wanted to do something special for my nephew and came up with putting him in a video game hack that is personalized for him.  This is a particular challenge for me since i dont have much knowledge of programming other than watching several youtube videos that were for entertainment,  not educational,  purposes.  I still wanted to do something and i found several utilities for The Legend of Zelda on the NES.

I originally wanted to do something like 'Aiden sneaks into the pantry to steal some food'  but it turns out that there is a ton of artwork involved and my artistic skills for sprite work arent the best,  especially in 16x16 pixels.  So i went another direction to do a zelda/metroid mashup using mostly community available sprites.  But there were no metroid themed powerup item sprites available so i have been going through and changing everything to its metroid equivalent.

Due to how zelda handles sprites,  the sword item sorta needs to remain as a sword.  I wanted to make it into the arm cannon from metroid but then the shooting sword would shoot the arm cannon.  However,  the bow and wand items are arm cannons now and shoot the power, plasma and spazer beams.  Ive made replacement items for everything except the food/meat so far.

One of my bigger projects was to change the title screen to say The Legend of Aiden.  Im sure someone with experience could do it a whole lot faster but it took me probably 20 hours to figure out how to use the editor and finally do the edit.  The editor doesnt completely display all the tiles in order as seen while playing so i had to unscramble some of them and then edit to my liking and then place them back in the original out of order.

Here is a picture of my first success.

Spoiler

1473334398_titlescreen.thumb.png.39c7b4bffdcc6ad4f9684a286adb8c1f.png

further work on the title screen

Spoiler

1331267383_titlescreenupdate.thumb.png.a2ba5e48dc9056f9c7980d2ee2422f7d.png

here are the changed items (a few are only renamed) and some are going to be changed again later

Spoiler

equipment.thumb.png.209443e05e811358be0456bdfcb37601.png

The entrance to level 1

Spoiler

1678674587_level1.thumb.png.62dbd9532b2cb570c99e2246d98687a2.png

Kraid replacing Aquamentas as the level 1 boss

Spoiler

kraid.thumb.png.f166bc109eb6f7d2cdbca4c8d7232ab4.png

Save the animals !!!

Spoiler

1796016553_savetheanimals.thumb.png.9c97c93504b14e46236d4de6494de0d7.png

I spent too long trying to figure out how to change the triforce on the equipment menu.  Finally got it done.

Spoiler

809078048_metroidtriforce.thumb.png.96aaad1d395f06d1cd286450c101a256.png

Edited by TheZag
  • Thumbs Up 1

After im done i could edit out the family references and offer it.  The program that applies the patches looks like it can make a patch too. I wouldnt be able to include the legend of zelda rom though so it would be a have/get the rom and apply the patch situation.

The second quest is bugged and beyond my ability to repair so im unsure if its even able to be completed.  I beat the first quest a few hours ago and the only bug i found was the left and right sides of the hungry goriya sprite are swapped.  Unfortunately,  after several hours its also beyond my ability to repair but the room functions properly.  The pointer is somehow between 2 sprites and i cant figure out how to tell it to look 1 tile earlier or later.

I think all thats left is to change the ending message/credits,  the triforce that mother brain drops and maybe the zelda character if i find a better fit for metroid.