Finally settled on Ice/Ice for first Stalker

Generator

Hey,

So for my first Stalker build (on Homecoming, that is) I've finally settled on making an Ice/Ice.  I'll probably start out by making an "SO-level" build in Mids tonight, anyone got any advice particular to the sets, and how they play as Stalkers?  (I've played both before, but on Tankers)

Later,

Generator

I was playing an Ice/Ice Stalker earlier near Homecoming's release.  It's been a month since I touched the character, I changed to plaything something else once I leveled into the 30s. That's my altitis wall.

That said, Ice/Ice was a really fun stalker to play. Ice Patch is FANTASTIC for your survivability as once everyone groups around you, it goes down and they continuously fall over. You're basically immune to slows or -recharge. You don't have any psi defense, but as psi damage won't lower your recharge, you can focus on cutting down those who do psi damage unimpeded. The toggles can be endurance heavy but once you get Energy Absorption at 35 it's pretty much a non-issue.

Some negatives however.

1.) It will be near impossible to defeat 'doppelgangers' solo. They're going to have the tanker's ice armor, which provides massive cold defense against your cold damage, AND they get the damage aura to wreck your stealth.

2.) Circle of Thorns can be a pain in the 30-40 bracket as both minions (Fire Casters) and Lieutenants (Demons) will do fire damage. You'll have some resist to fire, but no defense.

3.) There's been conflicting reports that the ATO that provides a free placate can get eaten up by Chilling Embrace. I didn't really test that, but can say Chilling Embrace won't ruin Hide.

Those aren't what got meto change characters though, the mid-30's is just when I always start looking at other characters to play. I greatly enjoyed the Ice/Ice Stalker.

Rerolling far too often, even by this game's standards.

Hmm, those are some compelling caveats.  I can't decide if the "doppleganger" issue is prevalent enough to worry about.  I know there's the Dean MacArthur arc in the 20s where you face off against your double at least one time, and one of the high-end Villain Alignment missions faces you off against your double from the future.

Fun fact about point 2: the Behemoth demons are vulnerable to Cold.  Do unto others first.  :)

Interesting food for thhought, thanks!

Oh the Behemoths were always the first target, with build up it could one shot them, the issue was more when there's 2 more more behemoths and they get a chance to turn on their invulnerability. Fire Casters are also ranges so their attacks chip away at your health unless you make them chase around a corner for Ice Patch. It's certainly doable, I fought a lot of Circle of Thorns with that character, it's just trickier than other groups.

Doppelgangers aren't all the prevalent, it's just a bit of a wall when they do show up. Dean McArthur/Keith Nance arcs you can expect them, you can also usually tell when they're in a tip/radio/paper/morality mission. It's just something you really need to be aware of as you'll be your own kryptonite, and it's not a two way street.

Rerolling far too often, even by this game's standards.

I'm actually about 95 percent likely to switch to Savage/Ice, nor because of anything said here, but I have an old character concept that used to just exist as part of another character's backstory, but would work perfectly as S/I.