Is the magic still here?

EggKookoo

CoH is about the journey.... to you.. not everyone. I played from start to sunset with two accounts... always been about the end game with me. I have 9 50's already... most of my friends have 2-6. We play for the end game. I've done the stories and all that jazz many times over - it has absolutely no appeal to me.

Funny thing is, I feel this way about WoW. Leveling is mostly uninteresting and I feel like I'm not "really" playing the game until I'm raiding with peeps. It's just how the content is balanced. I don't feel that way with CoH. I get more involved in the leveling process itself.

We focus on accolades, badges, itrials, etc... not "the journey."

I would classify that kind of stuff as the "journey" but YMMV.

I'm excited to be back in COH, however as a badger the task of reacquiring all my damn badges back is painful.

Plus I was always an endgame player so leveling up all my chars again is a bit annoying.

But It still feels like home!

Darksiders GM

I think we have about as many people now as we can expect to ever have.  I don't think this game has much long-term appeal for new players, the landscape of MMOs has changed a lot and people's expectations have changed.  Nowadays it's all about a pointless run up to max level where the "real" game begins, which is not what CoX is.  CoX is about the journey, so my newer friends who blasted to max level inside a week stopped playing almost immediately afterwards.  Meanwhile, I and my veteran friends are still playing and haven't actually gotten to max level yet.  And even I realize my attitude is different now, either by playing other games in the last 7 years or just plain getting older.

Is the magic still there?  Yes, and no.  CoX is just as fun as it used to be, but the players have changed.  Considering a big part of that magic *was* the players, we've lost something that most likely can't be replaced.

I think if certain things are updated it certainly will keep new players in, like old melee sets to feel as fast as the new ones and etc. They have released some good updates so far.