Is the magic still here?

EggKookoo

With the understanding that asking this question in these forums is going to be subject to self-selection bias, do you still feel the thrill of having CoH back? I certainly do, and by how busy Atlas Park and other "core" zones get, I suspect that's true for many, many people.

One thing I have noticed is the peak numbers don't seem to be going up much any more. A few weeks ago sometimes it'd go over 9,000, but lately it seems to be peaking in the high 7,000s. Maybe that's just everything being stable?

It's bound to stabilize, go down a bit and even out.

I'm sure many new players jumped in to see what the fuss was about. Some stayed, some probably left.

Other servers opened, some people opted to play on those instead.

Me personally, I am still enjoying the game but the adrenaline and "must play" feelings have diminished. I still log in frequently but not as much as when the servers first came back up. Instead I am playing in moderation now, which is good as my work and real life needs to take precedent.

I expect the 1-3 month timeframe pattern with any MMO release will still hold true.

Early Access - those they knew about the HC servers early.

Public Opening - we got old and newplayers

First Wave Leaves for Competition - i24, other MMOs

Second wave Leaves (Now) - people in this case realize tastes have changed (Live players) and new players find out they don't like the game.

Numbers can drop by half in the RW easily from months 1-3.

The number of active users does not usually drop quite lilke that.

Also, players play the new shiny 24/7 for a bit, then it becomes a habit/hobby and is relegated to a more stable playtime schedule, altering the in-game numbers.

I did not expect the numbers they actually pulled, so it is going to be interesting to see what the retention looks like.

Obviously quite interested to see the numbers once one of the Hero MMOs on the worktable is Live.

For me the magic is still there! ;D

I'm logging on whenever I can for as long as I can.

• I'm creating character concepts in my mind when I'm not home.
  • Scribble bio drafts on small pieces of paper, put them in my pockets and find them a week later in the laundry  :P
  • Made a Google Sheet to keep track of all the characters I have created or still want to create.
  • Can't get any character above Lvl 20 because then I want to create a new one!

playing on Reunion

With the understanding that asking this question in these forums is going to be subject to self-selection bias, do you still feel the thrill of having CoH back? I certainly do, and by how busy Atlas Park and other "core" zones get, I suspect that's true for many, many people.

One thing I have noticed is the peak numbers don't seem to be going up much any more. A few weeks ago sometimes it'd go over 9,000, but lately it seems to be peaking in the high 7,000s. Maybe that's just everything being stable?

FRANCIS-e1364332188482.jpg

I think we have about as many people now as we can expect to ever have.  I don't think this game has much long-term appeal for new players, the landscape of MMOs has changed a lot and people's expectations have changed.  Nowadays it's all about a pointless run up to max level where the "real" game begins, which is not what CoX is.  CoX is about the journey, so my newer friends who blasted to max level inside a week stopped playing almost immediately afterwards.  Meanwhile, I and my veteran friends are still playing and haven't actually gotten to max level yet.  And even I realize my attitude is different now, either by playing other games in the last 7 years or just plain getting older.

Is the magic still there?  Yes, and no.  CoX is just as fun as it used to be, but the players have changed.  Considering a big part of that magic *was* the players, we've lost something that most likely can't be replaced.

Considering a big part of that magic *was* the players, we've lost something that most likely can't be replaced.

The community around the game never kept me, does not now.

The joy the game brings keeps me here.

There are plenty of new creative poeple to take the place of players no longer interested.

IMO, the 'community' is the games biggest problem right now, because to outsiders, it often looks like a bunch of people fighting over the remains of dead video game.

The numbers right now are dang close to the numbers at the end of Live and we know a lot of them are new.

I think the game can do just fine in it's niche, because it attracts creative players that don't have a lot of other options for creative freedom.

The other people that play the game from my PoV are just like any other MMO, with all the good and the bad personalities.

The magic is still here, just waiting to be used, it is not dependant upon players of yesterday, IMO.

I just discovered this server a week ago, so I'm still ecstatic.  I never thought I'd get to play this game again.  I'm sure my enthusiasm will wane as time goes on, but I intend to keep CoH as my go-to game as long as this lasts.  Not taking it for granted this time.

I expect the 1-3 month timeframe pattern with any MMO release will still hold true.

Early Access - those they knew about the HC servers early.

Public Opening - we got old and newplayers

First Wave Leaves for Competition - i24, other MMOs

Second wave Leaves (Now) - people in this case realize tastes have changed (Live players) and new players find out they don't like the game.

Numbers can drop by half in the RW easily from months 1-3.

The number of active users does not usually drop quite lilke that.

Also, players play the new shiny 24/7 for a bit, then it becomes a habit/hobby and is relegated to a more stable playtime schedule, altering the in-game numbers.

I did not expect the numbers they actually pulled, so it is going to be interesting to see what the retention looks like.

Obviously quite interested to see the numbers once one of the Hero MMOs on the worktable is Live.

Watch as the AMAZING SPECULATOR pulls numbers right out of THIN AIR!

I barely played CoH when it was originally live (I bought it on release but only played a couple weeks for some reason), but I've been playing on Homecoming since it opened and I'm in love. This is the kind of MMO experience I've been looking for recently and I'm having an absolute blast. I have no intention to stop anytime soon.

I've been on travel for two weeks and only got back a few days ago.  I was so excited about all the possibilities open to me that I could hardly wait to log in.

Once I did log in, the pure excitement was replaced by a sort of steady, low-level euphoria,  Everything just felt interesting and somehow right.

Watch as the AMAZING SPECULATOR pulls numbers right out of THIN AIR!

Here's some numbers that aren't pulled out of thin air.

9be31c6fa82b_2019-06-13_13-28-57.png

Four thousand people are playing this server at 1:30 PM on a Thursday. How many times have you seen four thousand people doing the same thing, let alone at 1:30 PM on a Thursday?

The magic is definitely still here.

9be31c6fa82b_2019-06-13_13-28-57.png

So 18:1 H:V ratio on Justin...

For some reason, I suddenly got the idea they are testing changes to make one Villain equal to 15-18 heroes, since the population is so low and that seems like it would be a riot, in more ways than one.

:)

For some reason, I suddenly got the idea they are testing changes to make one Villain equal to 15-18 heroes, since the population is so low and that seems like it would be a riot, in more ways than one.

Redpop has always been low, but quality over quantity.

Well, way back in the old days I remember I and a segment of others in the community were asking for some kind of asymmetrical PVP where one villain would fight against a team of heroes.  And this was before games like Evolve and Dead by Daylight made it cool.

I mean let's be real, who doesn't want to be Thanos kicking around the Avengers?

Well, way back in the old days I remember I and a segment of others in the community were asking for some kind of asymmetrical PVP where one villain would fight against a team of heroes.  And this was before games like Evolve and Dead by Daylight made it cool.

I mean let's be real, who doesn't want to be Thanos kicking around the Avengers?

Wait, you mean it's not intentional to solo the LRSF?

On a slightly more serious note: being the bad guy in asymmetrical PVP is something I've done on other MMOs, and in at least one occasion here. It's hella fun. It really makes you feel like you're Batman the Predator.

I always said during its Live years that CoX was my 'Forever' game. It might not have been the game I was actively playing/playing the most at any given time, but it was always there, something comfortable and welcoming to slip into. Now it's back, and I'm sure I'll eventually go back to my old habits, slipping away momentarily for something else. I don't see that happening anytime soon, but I know myself and I know it will happen and I know, no matter what, I'll be back. I'll always come back, as long as I'm able to.

I only have a couple of weeks experience here on the Homecoming servers, but this past weekend I saw five (or six?) Atlas Parks and *gasp* THREE Mercy Islands (Redside is bestside and seeing that made me so happy). I'm grouping with people who are playing City for their very first time, people who've only been playing since the servers launched, and plenty of veterans of various experience levels.

And regarding a lot of people not realizing CoX is back, I can attest to that. Last week I told my Friday night D&D group about Homecoming to a resounding "NO WAY!!!. Gave them the info they needed. Every single one installed Tequila on their computers that night, as did their spouses. My husband's been spreading the news at work, and several of them have returned to the City as well. I'm sure lots of other people have had similar experiences, and in this way the news is slowly disseminating. Not everyone keeps tabs on gaming news or reads MOP, and word of mouth can be erratic, but the news is still spreading.

And regarding a lot of people not realizing CoX is back, I can attest to that. Last week I told my Friday night D&D group about Homecoming to a resounding "NO WAY!!!. Gave them the info they needed. Every single one installed Tequila on their computers that night, as did their spouses. My husband's been spreading the news at work, and several of them have returned to the City as well. I'm sure lots of other people have had similar experiences, and in this way the news is slowly disseminating. Not everyone keeps tabs on gaming news or reads MOP, and word of mouth can be erratic, but the news is still spreading.

This.

The Internet crowd often loses sight of is the fact for most people, it is not *gasp* the center of the universe...

That would FB.... ;)