Help for a new player-picking class

cgargano

Hi all, just found this game and having fun playing. Trying a few different types right now and stalker eng eng has been a lot of fun. I’m not a seasoned mmo player so I’d probably be better with something that doesn’t require a 100 buttons and a complex rotation. Was hoping the community could help me figure out of stalker is a good class for me or if I should try something else. Thanks!  

Stalker is a good choice if you like to take in the sights and decide when and how to start a fight.  Very few enemies can see through hide, so you can avoid a lot of combat if you want.

They do a lot of damage and can defeat difficult targets, but cannot withstand as much damage as brutes and tankers.

• Like 1

Great thing about this game, nothing requires 100 buttons and a complex rotation. CoH is much more forgiving than a lot of other MMORPGs. There are no strict DPS checks or gear requirements to do (most) content. 

For a newbie, I always recommend melee DPS ATs (Short for Archetype. It's what we call classes 'round these parts). They're inherently more survivable than most ranged/support ATs and they generally don't require you to do much other than kill stuff. Great for learning the basics of the game without having to worry about getting yourself or your team killed (ProTip: Don't be afraid to team up. We're a friendly bunch and a lot of us enjoy helping newbies get the hang of things 😄). 

Anyway, Stalkers can be a great choice. They're basically CoH's version of rogues. The only thing I'd really point out is that you don't need to worry about attacking from stealth all the time. Since their revamp years ago, Stalkers can open from stealth for big damage, then just fight normally until everything's dead. Rinse and repeat. Some new Stalker players think that because stealth is the ATs gimmick, they're only really effective working from it. That's not the case. 

Hope you find your ATs (Nobody plays just one 😅) and welcome to the City of Heroes! 

• Like 1

You wanna play Peacebringer?😒  Fine, but at least check out this guide first: Peacebringers STILL SUCK!!! (v. 1.1)