RIP Lance Reddick ("Horizon" & "Destiny" game series, "Fringe" on TV, "John Wick" movies, etc.)

Actor Lance Reddick died suddenly Friday March 17 at age 60.

He was the voice and facial model for the manipulative ally Sylens in video games Horizon Zero Dawn and Horizon Forbidden West.  He also voiced Commander Zavala in the Destiny game series, and was in other game works.

You may know his as Charon from the John Wick movies. I understand he played the role in a video game as well.  He was a main cast member in The Wire, a show I've not seen, and had numerous guest roles in prominent TV shows.   Reading down the list of his accomplishments, In the realm of superheroes and villains I see he also had a chance to voice Ras Al Ghoul and Avengers' Falcon.

I first encountered him as the no-nonsense Phillip Broyles on JJ Abrams TV Show Fringe, and though I'd tuned in to watch John Noble play Walter Bishop, I found myself captivated by Lance's performance.  Lance had a distinctive piercing gaze and a baritone rumble in his precise speech.

Truly sorry to hear of his passing.  He was always fascinating to watch. 

The silver lining is that there are 4 movies and 1 TV series in post that he was involved with.  The TV one is the upcoming first season of Percy Jackson and the Olympians, where Reddick will play Zeus.  I'm particularly interested in The Caine Mutiny Court-Trial, which apparently is a filmed version of Herman Wouk's stage play of the same name, itself based on Wouk's book The Caine Mutiny.   You may recall that the book was also turned into a movie of the same name starring Humphrey Bogart and other big-name stars.  Reddick is playing the captain presiding over the court in this new version.

image-w856.jpg?size=800x&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=th?id=OIP.vdvUZ6mBG_UeauG7kTmOFAAAAA%26p

Edited by Techwright
replace pictures with picture links
  • Sad 3

/em holdtorch

I've read multiple tributes to the guy on socials, and the universal comment is - aside from his fine work - what an utterly lovely guy he was to be around.

I know it's not a 100% guarantee, but... I think, based on the evidence, those tributes are probably right.

The evidence:

335935155_179145587773940_8701848635004645358_n-e1679084577544.thumb.jpg.b3c07b7240db28a32ba4b612a31fa983.jpg

May he rest in light. Preferably somewhere where there's dogs.

• Thumbs Up 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.