Difficulty of adding new models, costume parts, and textures.

Rigged

1 hour ago, UltraAlt said:

The other game that I did costume and skin texture mods for had the costumes a flat artwork. 

The flat artwork for costume parts and skin textures are applied to the character model.

If you examined how the flat artwork fit on a character, you could then modify the shape, texture, color and also if it was metallic(reflective)/transparent/etc. of a costume part. It would essentially be the same costume, but with the characteristics modified within the boundaries of the existing costume part.

I'm unsure if the costume parts in CoH are 3d modelled and/or have a layover art pattern on top of them.

Can Blender even utilize the art file type that is used for the costuming in CoH?

I know nothing about the coding.  So, as usual, I speak out of ignorance.

But with large base parts you can walk around inside them.  (once you figure how) and scaling is easy in the game, more or less.  It seems all parts are hollow, just a thin sheen of art viewable from one side.  So, the code must be creating a full 3D rotatable "object" (bunch of faces) and that is the base / costume part.  You can see this in clipping etc.