Help Controlling my Storm/Water Defender

cgargano

Hi, I have been playing for a few weeks now and trying out a lot of different types.  I am currently having fun playing Storm/Water defender, but have some control issues.  In grouping my tornado and Lightening tend to send everyone all over the place.  I know I read some people say try to position it to corner foes or against a wall, but in TF with random people (I dont have a group or anything so every group is random) its hard to get the melee to fight in a convenient location.  Is there a good way to handle this or do i just wing it or try something else.  Any tips are appreciated.  As a note...i did see some people say to use enahncements that change knockdown to knockback.  Would that solve the issue and does it gimp other powers by using it?  Please help!!!

I wouldn't worry about Lightning Cloud so much. But Tornado does scatter groups if they're not locked down in advance. One of the KB2KD IOs works fine and won't affect any of your other powers. You could also slot one in Lightning Cloud but I don't think it's worth the effort or the slot.

Hurricane is another one that scatters everything around you and takes some practice to use well (like you said, pushing critters into walls and corners. etc). The KB2KD IO doesn't work so well in Hurricane because it has repel in addition to KB and repel is unaffected by the IO. Hurricane isn't something you want to turn on and keep on at all times. You need to use it judiciously.

Edited by Captain Fabulous

Ok thanks.  Do you know which of the KB2KD is preferred?  I thought Lightening caused a kind of fear where people run away from it.  I realize that the enhanvement wont help with that but are there any general strategies that help mitigate the problem?  I am guessing a controller would be helpful.

On my Stormie I put the Sudden Acceleration: Knockback to Knockdown IO in Tornado and, if you take it, Gale. This turns Tornado into a knock-up power, and Gale into a knockdown cone, which can be useful for putting a group on their butts. I didn't put it into Lightning Storm, cause I just don't find the KB to be that detrimental from it.

As Captain mentioned above, don't slot it in Hurricane - I generally use hurricane to create a safe zone/repel area for ranged characters, or if it looks like a team wipe is coming, toss it on and charge in to apply the to-hit de-buff and knock things around. Yes, there are other ways to use it, like kiting in and tapping baddies to apply the de-buff and then jumping back out, (the de-buff stays for like 10 seconds I think, maybe 12) but that's generally too busy and I feel more effective blasting and making sure Freezing Rain is liberally applied.

Global: @Renatos

Main Defenders on Everlasting:

Liza Frost - Lv.50 Cold/Ice; Tara Sonara - Lv.50 Nature/Sonic; Voice of Gaia - Lv.50 Sonic/Sonic; Tenebrous Tide - Lv.50 Dark/Water; Elloria Neutrina - Lv.50 Empathy/Radiation;

Hailblast - Lv.50 Storm/Storm; Elektra Cross - Lv.50 Electric/Electric; Agent Sureshot - Lv.50 Trick Arrow/Electric; Agent Blayze - Lv.46 Thermal/Fire; Twilight Servant - Lv.42 Time/Dark; Commander Trax - Lv.29 Traps/Beam Rifle

Yes both have an Afraid (i.e. Fear) effect but if you're on your butt it's hard to run.  LS is a reliable but lower mag knock as a result distance is small, more focused.  For Tornado the Afraid effect is also significantly larger than the Tornado itself (20ft vs 7ft radius).  Thus much greater distance knocked and scattered..  The above is based primarily off CoD v2.0 as well as having played more than a couple Stormies.  

Edited by Doomguide2005