Best Chess?

Techwright

Can anyone make a recommendation as to what programs out there can provide a superior game of player vs. AI chess?  Standard chess only, please.  If the game comes with unusual variations, that's fine, but I just want to dust off my old chess skills from my high school club days.

Honestly?  I recommend lichess.org.  It's a non-profit website and is probably the second most popular way to play chess on a computer or mobile device, (chess.com being the most popular).  They take donations which gives you a little badge on your account profile, but otherwise it's entirely free.

On 4/18/2023 at 10:51 AM, Astralock said:

Honestly?  I recommend lichess.org.  It's a non-profit website and is probably the second most popular way to play chess on a computer or mobile device, (chess.com being the most popular).  They take donations which gives you a little badge on your account profile, but otherwise it's entirely free.

Thanks!  I've not heard of it before.  I shall investigate.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later
  • 1 month later
On 8/18/2023 at 8:41 AM, Gobbledygook said:

Any good resources to teach chess?

I'm great at checkers, but want to learn chess 

Computer-wise, I've no recommendation.  Hopefully someone else does.

Board-wise, my late father taught me using the wonderful Educator Chess Set.  The pieces are somewhat stylized beyond the basics, but the pedestals are fantastic: wedge-shaped to allow printed icon instructions for each piece.   Mine came with a basic instruction book as well, but that was 5 decades ago.  I'm not sure what the current one has.  I've seen it under different names.  Here, for example, is The Chess Teacher from Lakeshore.   There are copies of the original 1972 one still being sold with collector prices on them.

• Thanks 1