TIL this is from The Spy Who Loved Me, designed by Gerry Anderson!

Gerry Anderson was a genuine visionary. There's not much he didn't imagine that the likes of Elon Musk and Steve Jobs brought to fruition when the technology became available.

I also have a serious soft spot for that movie because it was one of the very first I was able to watch at the movies, and in fairness, was one of Sir Roger's better outings as 007

• Thumbs Up 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

2 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Gerry Anderson was a genuine visionary. There's not much he didn't imagine that the likes of Elon Musk and Steve Jobs brought to fruition when the technology became available.

I also have a serious soft spot for that movie because it was one of the very first I was able to watch at the movies, and in fairness, was one of Sir Roger's better outings as 007

It's amazing to me how well Thunderbirds holds up to this day. It's just so damned well done. It's a shame he never managed to break into the US market.

• Thumbs Up 1

He almost made it with Space 1999 ... and it gave Martin Landau and Barbara Bain a very good payday. They were reportedly the highest paid couple appearing in the same on TV at the time

But yeah Thunderbirds still stands up amazingly well, not just because of  the sets but many of the stories are excellent and still stack up today.

Captain Scarlet also broke new territory (and which came first, Cloudbase or the Helicarrier?) in that humans initiated the war and remained on the back foot forever. In my opinion some of his finest work

• Thumbs Up 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

5 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

He almost made it with Space 1999 ... and it gave Martin Landau and Barbara Bain a very good payday. They were reportedly the highest paid couple appearing in the same on TV at the time

But yeah Thunderbirds still stands up amazingly well, not just because of  the sets but many of the stories are excellent and still stack up today.

Captain Scarlet also broke new territory (and which came first, Cloudbase or the Helicarrier?) in that humans initiated the war and remained on the back foot forever. In my opinion some of his finest work

Space 1999 was the only show of his I ever saw on TV as a kid. I knew of Thunderbirds but I never saw it till I was an adult.

Space: 1999 Was my jam when I was a kid, Season 2 not as good as Season 1 (plus S1 had awesome theme) though Maya was a little bit money.  I actually have a com-lock and stun gun I ordered form their official site.  The show actually caused you to use your brain a little.  Granted I also loved the original BSG so, brain counter.  Thunderbirds is still fun to watch and UFO isn't so bad.

I even threw a Breakaway party when I was stationed in San Diego in September of 1999, invited a lot of friends, most of them never heard of the show and mocked the pilot episode but we got drunk as get all so mission accomplished Alpha Moonbase.

• Thumbs Up 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

19 minutes ago, High_Beam said:

Granted I also loved the original BSG

The thing I remember about this, is the toys came out right around the same time people (at least the US) were starting to think that toys which shot little plastic bits might not be the best thing to hand over to small children.   The toy vipers and cylon raiders all went through a revision where the little red plastic "laser bolt" would just pop out instead of firing across the room and into your baby brother's mouth...

... wait... too specific?  Scratch that last part!

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, High_Beam said:

Space: 1999 Was my jam when I was a kid, Season 2 not as good as Season 1 (plus S1 had awesome theme) though Maya was a little bit money.  I actually have a com-lock and stun gun I ordered form their official site.  The show actually caused you to use your brain a little.  Granted I also loved the original BSG so, brain counter.  Thunderbirds is still fun to watch and UFO isn't so bad.

I even threw a Breakaway party when I was stationed in San Diego in September of 1999, invited a lot of friends, most of them never heard of the show and mocked the pilot episode but we got drunk as get all so mission accomplished Alpha Moonbase.

I watched them first run in the 70s. Had the stun blaster, the big Eagle toy, and the dolls. I've actually never done a full rewatch since. But yeah, season 1 was much more cerebral while s2 was more action-based. And that was due to them hiring Fred Freiberger (of Star Trek TOS fame) to revamp the series for the US.

17 minutes ago, ZemX said:

The thing I remember about this, is the toys came out right around the same time people (at least the US) were starting to think that toys which shot little plastic bits might not be the best thing to hand over to small children.   The toy vipers and cylon raiders all went through a revision where the little red plastic "laser bolt" would just pop out instead of firing across the room and into your baby brother's mouth...

... wait... too specific?  Scratch that last part!

Yup. A kid choked to death when the little plastic laser piece shot down his throat. After that all toys in the US were mandated to not have small projectile bits like that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fun fact in the TYDKYDK category: This track was a huge hit on the Northern Soul circuit in the 80s after they'd run out of white label stuff to play

• Thumbs Up 1

It has to be said that Barry Gray was a significant part of Gerry Anderson's success i think as I hope the above illustrates - in the same way that John Barry's Bond theme made the Broccolli success

• Thumbs Up 1