Ground Zero Not Critting for Scrappers

LordRassilon

After 146 Vet Levels on my Dark/Rad Scrapper it finally dawned on me that I have never once seen Ground Zero critical.  At first I thought scrapper secondaries just don't crit, but I've seen pool powers critical--so why not secondary powers?  Just reporting this in case this is a bug.

WAI in the current implementation.

Brimstone from Stone Armor is currently the only power in a Scrapper secondary with a chance to crit. This is a relatively new thing and I hope a sign of thing to come,

Otherwise it has been this way since the dawn of time, and I've been lobbying for change since not long after that.

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

3 hours ago, Kai Moon said:

How do we know it's WAI? It was in unreleased at sundown.

Because attacks in the Scrapper secondary sets not generating critical hits has been the paradigm on the game since 2004.

I've never liked it either, I hope the HC team changes it, but I highly doubt that they will.

It is the way it has always been and is not unique to Ground Zero. It is not a bug, it is an unfortunate design choice that has not been changed. I'm glad they made an exception for Brimstone Armor, but I don't see them making a blanket change across the other secondaries with attacks or damage auras.

As I said, I've been banging my head against this wall of unfairness since the release of the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Kai Moon said:

If true, then the scrapper inherent description is wrong.

One thing or the other is not working as intended, so I'll just let the bug report stand on its own.

This would then also need to apply to:

- Genetic Contamination

- DNA Siphon

- Death Shroud

- Dark Regeneration

- Lightning Field

- Blazing Aura

- Burn

- Consume

- Phoenix Rising

- Icicles

- Shield Charge

- Mud Pots

- Rad Therapy

I don’t think Ground Zero alone should be a bug for not critting. I don’t think it’s a bug anyway:

The Scrapper is a fierce melee combatant. In hand to hand, no other hero can compare. All Scrapper melee attacks have a chance to land a Critical Hit for up to Double Damage. The higher the rank of the target, the greater the chance for a successful Critical Hit.

I don’t think secondary attacks count as “melee” attacks. Epic powers are an exception since even the ranged attacks are categorized as melee attacks.

• Thumbs Up 2

Of that list Stalker's version of Burn is written with the team crit mechanic included.  I've never used Fire Armor on a Stalker and I very much dislike burn, so I do not know if it actually crits while on a team.  If you look at the entry on City of Data the team crit stuff is in there though.

Nothing else from that list is written to generate critical hits for either a Scrapper or Stalker.

It is not a bug; it is a design choice made by the original developers that has continued to remain constant throughout the history of the game.

Never mind that Brute's Fury increases damage from these attacks, and Tanker's AoE size buffs also benefit these attacks - Scrappers and Stalkers are left twisting in the breeze by design.