Well, that's something...

TheOtherTed

Broadsword Online are the artists formerly known as Mythic, and then BioWare Mythic, caretakers of Ultima Online and Dark Age Of Camelot. Haven't heard much out of them for a while so it's quite a big move. 

They did used to be part of EA, but were spun off under Rob Denton (who also worked on on SWTOR) when faced with closure in 2014. Broadsword also developed the ill-fated Warhammer MMO Age Of Reckoning...which I'm about to add to the Good Games That Died Horribly thread. Great game, in fact, but just didn't do the numbers.

I think it's a pretty good retirement home for SWTOR and should see it kept around stably, maybe even growing a bit.

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

2 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

I think it's a pretty good retirement home for SWTOR and should see it kept around stably, maybe even growing a bit.

I have to wonder if the announcement this year that mainline Star Wars is beginning to back up lore-wise into the High Republic era (predecessor to anything currently filmed) and even to James Mangold's announced "first Jedi" movie, might have an influence on this game.  True, the game story predates even the High Republic Era, but with the addition of the "first Jedi" movie, that creates a set of lore brackets that will make the game increasingly be seen as Extended Universe/Legends material, which there's already enough there to make it so, collected over a decade plus.  That combined with the game's age might be a reason to consider putting it to pasture.   Personally, I've been amazed at the game's tenacity.  I scan YouTube for reactor channels occasionally, and I'm impressed with the steady trickle of reactors just finding the game's promotion animations, which play more like mini movies.  There's a clear love for the game, despite some clunky, poorly-aged choices like heavy grinding and really, really long travel sequences.

I'm also curious to see if this heralds the creation of a new Star Wars MMO, one that will run concurrent to the official lore, and holds moderns standards for game design.