Officially Unofficial Weekly Discussion #35: Binds and Macros

On 7/7/2023 at 2:41 PM, AboveTheChemist said:

The HC wiki page that Col. Kernel linked in the post immediately above this one is actively maintained (by me) and has all icons available on HC

I might have to think about using this:

Ultra Costume Power.png
Ultra_Costume_Power /macro_image "Ultra_Costume_Power" "Tooltip" "Command"

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I typically use more binds then macros myself. In PvP I'll keep a row of targeting macros for each member of an enemy team to assist with fast targeting for spike coordination. Otherwise its mostly binds.

I'm a huge fan of powexec_loc binds which I'll usually rebind as the key I have assigned for the power. This lets my hit whatever bind the power icon is sitting in for a targeted cast for things like oil slick arrow, or i can mouse click the actual power if i want the cursor location to mess with. Also I've been a huge fan of Sandolphan's MM numpad binds.

I am a big fan of teleport, but only after doing a powexec_loc cursor bind so the power fires wherever the mouse is pointing without needing the extra clicks.

Otherwise selectbuild is invaluable on a VEAT. Also for some advanced binds, I occasionally will use a rolling bind with press/release mechanics.

Much like Greycat I have bind files left over from live.  I first started using them when I rolled a Warshade and set up numpad 1 to toggle off nova/dwarf and switch to tray1, numpad 2 to toggle on nova and set the default tray to 4 (where I had the squid'spowers), numpad 3 to toggle on dwarf and set default to tray 5.  That was where it all started.

Now, every character has their own bind load file by level 5 or so and they are set up similarly: numpad 1 will execute 'normal' type powers; athletic run, sprint and/or prestige slide.  Numpad 2 will execute travel powers, usually press once to toggle on, press again to toggle off.  Numpad3 executes all defensive toggles with multiple presses.  From there, numpad4 is usually a build up type power if the char has one, numpad5 - numpad 9 are powers with longer cooldowns and/or cone attacks/pbaoe/ranged or targetted aoe.  Numpad 0 is for heal powers, numpad enter is for holds.

ALT+L will bindloadfile .\(charname).txt so I can make changes on the fly.  V will targetcustomnext enemy alive for pesky enemies (I'm looking at you sappers, quants ,etc), shift+v opens chat to rebind v to whatever enemy I need to find (ex Director 11), just type in the name and hit enter.

Since I have all bound similarly it only takes a moment to reacclimate if I haven't played that char in a few days and doesn't require looking away from the screen thanks to years of muscle memory.

Most chars do have macros for popmenus (badges, emotes, bases, etc) and some have a few macros other macros (change builds, 'taunts' to npc's in chat, etc). 

Edited by COH Radgen
Grammar and clarity

I see some posts have touched on the use of mouse  buttons, so I guess the following falls under this week's question based upon that.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.