Airship Construction Advice

Vic Raiden

Hello, this is probably my first serious post here.

I am trying to build myself an airship as my supergroup base, inspired primarily by the SDF-1 Macross and its derivatives. Problem is, I just can't seem to build any outer plating without the editor returning an error. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

For those curious, the base's passcode is ARMAGEDDON-29292.

Airship_progress.png

Indeed I am. The idea was to cover up the base rooms so that there's an actual exterior instead of having constant see-through interiors.

Sorry for not being online in the game at the moment, but it's pretty late for me.

Edited by Vic Raiden
Forgot to mention something and didn't want to make a second post just to address it

F5 will change to stickyness of the item.  Wall, Surface, Ceilin, etc stuff that i'm sure you know already.

Unless it's a super thick item, a good portion needs to be inside the base to maintain a grip with the base.

I'm not sure what you are tryin to use but it's a good start to a Gundum style base.

The game doesn't offer a lot of tech style skins for exterior.

@Etched

True that... For the two frontal prongs, I have been trying to make do with Arachnos balconies, where their undersides would stick outside, but any attempt to get them in the right position was met with an error. It was supposed to look kinda like the hull of a seafaring aircraft carrier.

For the rest, I would probably add Arachnos pipes and walkways to the mix.

• 2 weeks later
  • Retired Community Rep
On 7/8/2023 at 5:23 PM, Vic Raiden said:

Indeed I am. The idea was to cover up the base rooms so that there's an actual exterior instead of having constant see-through interiors.

Sorry for not being online in the game at the moment, but it's pretty late for me.

See my space ship ONES-5030 on Excelsior or the video tour

What makes this ship fairly unique is, the ship is wrapped around the base itself, so you don't see the walls or have a problem trying to disguise the base outside of the ship. That being said, there is a way to make a base under your ship somewhat invisible. Somewhat.  I have a trick/technique for getting items to place successfully, if they're close to where the editor will allow them/should allow them. Basically, it takes advantage of the fact that we can now build in doorways, because the computer has to assign whatever we put into a doorway to a room, because only items with a sufficient piece of the item in a room (and vertically within the room bounds counts, of course) can be placed.  You must not have a room that extends to the edge of the map to be able to do this, but my ship, since I built it around the base and I knew I was doing that, was built with several small rooms instead of a large room underneath or above. To place an item that's almost be not quite in the bounds of a room, add a room and doorways between the room where you're trying to place the object, and where the object will be, so that the object would be placed in the doorway between the rooms. Place the object. Delete the room. If the object was placed closely enough to the original room, the computer will assign it to that room, and it will stay! I had to do this with much of the rounded front end of the ship, some of the pieces that stick out to the sides, and the entire back end (otherwise, you could not have a piece that is totally upright and not showing thru the wall behind it at any point).

If you want wings, you might have to place a small room out some distance from the body of the ship to help you span the distances.

I hope that helps!

-Dacy

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice! Gonna try it the next time I'm in my base.

EDIT: I tried doing that, but the items keep anchoring themselves to the decoy room, meaning all my work gets undone when I delete it.

Edited by Vic Raiden
Update

• Retired Community Rep

Yeah, it's gotta be really close to first room. This isn't something that makes you able to place it even a few feet away from the first room. This is for the things that are frustratingly close, or you want to scream at the editor, "It's IN THE ROOM! Why won't you let me place that? I mean, it's not in the room by MUCH..."  So, yeah, it's unfortunately not something that will let you place outside a room by anything more than a tiny bit. Sorry it didn't work for you.

-Dacy

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Dacy said:

This is for the things that are frustratingly close, or you want to scream at the editor, "It's IN THE ROOM! Why won't you let me place that? I mean, it's not in the room by MUCH..." 

My family have learned to tune me out when i get to that point.

She is right, the editor can push you to your last nerve and beyond.

Just remember @Vic Raiden CTRL+Z (Undo) is your best friend until the end.

@Etched

Edited by Etched
  • Like 1

Aye.

Actually, the method does work, even on Arachnos balcony pieces... just not in the direction I want them to. And I think I now know why: the editor cares about their lower halves more than the upper ones. And come to think of it, I could actually work with that, I just need to change my approach a bit: make the hull out of the walkable surfaces instead of the undersides.

Thanks for helping me, even if indirectly!

This is my base on Torch.

The Dancin' Cricket base code 420-11642

I don't work so well in the base so i build strictly above or below. Takes away a lot of the limitations that workin in the base requires.

However, i have 6 tons of more editin to do.

Just needed a break but the interior is 95% completed.

@Etched

screenshot_230720-18-28-35.jpg

screenshot_230720-18-28-17.jpg

screenshot_230720-18-27-34.jpg

screenshot_230720-18-27-51.jpg

screenshot_230720-18-28-00.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later