Dark/Sonic - screaming into the void

Onlyasandwich

I've got the build bug again folks, and it's dominator time once more!

I really love the incredible procability of /Sonic, and my theme works well for Dark/, which is of course an amazing set regardless. This is the latest in my line of "screw defense, controls are more fun" Dominators that completely eschew all pretense of defense stacking outside of the Uniques. Perhaps I'd even be better served dropping the uniques too - what do you think?

In any case, I'd love some help optimizing further.

Build:

Dominator (Darkness Control - Sonic Assault).mbd

Focus:

• Perma dom
  • Maximize slow resist.
  • Super duper proc time.
  • Poo poo defense. Seriously - I know I could get it higher, but this is part of the fun. : )
  • Max hit chance against +3's.

In its current form, I anticipate the strat to go as follows:

• Open with Fearsome, CT in and pop HoD. CT back to root, back in to unleash my aoes and melt bosses as needed. Sometimes this will benefit from a juicy Soul Drain. If HoD on cooldown, Shadow Field will do nicely. Dog makes lots of noise while I do this.

Concerns:

• End consumption! This one is rough. I won't be running Evasive and fly during combat for the most part, but the aura is a bit of a drain. Dark Consumption isn't exactly a solution, but helps on occasion. As it stands, I may end up relying on Ageless to really unleash, though of course there will be the random injections from Domination popping off. What do you think?
  • Shockwave is actually really decent on a dom. Am I a total dummy for skipping it? This combo is really melee focused, and though I'm fine having a cone or two in the opener, I don't want to keep popping back all the time spending so much time out of melee where Disruption Aura won't be in effect.
  • Haunt. I love this on my controller. However, do you find it worth the time of day on a Dom? The control aspect is so-so in my experience, so it's mostly for damage. Dom has damage covered really well! Do you like it on your dom?

If I did drop the defense uniques I'd have room to include the PM proc and a bit more end support. However, perhaps even my marginal defense totals will be useful alongside Dark's tohit debuffs. Fearsome+Shadows is pretty substantial, especially with the Musculature Radial backing them up.

Edited by Onlyasandwich

I'm all about low defense. My own Earth/psi has about 11%.

That said I have near capped res to most damage types, and 70-100+hp/sec regen when facing groups

Which is to say while dark control is good, it isn't appreciably better than any of the other strong primaries. It will still let through a ton of damage against +3s from any of the more challenging mobs.

Fearsome stare gets lots of retaliation attacks, shadowfield will be punched thru by small def debuffs since it was fixed, and heart of darkness needs you to facetank to use it.

Just depends on how you play mostly. If you always team or have no problem diving in to insp/temps then most concerns disappear.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Frosticus said:

Which is to say while dark control is good, it isn't appreciably better than any of the other strong primaries. It will still let through a ton of damage against +3s from any of the more challenging mobs.

From experience with my other low defense doms, you are undoubtedly correct. My elec/ and Plant/ can shut down the alpha quite reliably with Static Field and Seeds respectively, allowing them to execute their melee strategies more reliably. However, Fearsome will definitely let through some retaliation, despite healthy -tohit.

I do have modest resists here, and the -tohit is still substantial. I'm going to get it levelled and slotted and see how it works out! I do have Combat Teleport to better facilitate a quick engagement with HoD. I don't have issues chewing candy as needed, though it's nice to have a reliable strategy outside of inspirations. 

I wonder if it may be worth dropping Haunt for Shockwave, and using Shockwave as an opener. Shockwave+Fearsome, then CT in for HoD may be enough to get me past that initial retaliation. Once I've had a chance to cycle Fearsome+Shadows+Dark Oblit, mobs outside of AV's will be hard pressed to hit me, and I should stabilize.

Bass Boost also allows me to juice -tohit on Fearsome when needed, giving me a better chance of surviving the retaliation. 

Edited by Onlyasandwich

If I did swap to Shockwave, here's the build I have in mind:

Dominator (Darkness Control - Sonic Assault) wave.mbd

I lose the little +recharge from the set in Haunt, but gain a pretty reliable FFback proc in my opener, and am able to put the +dam ATO proc into my opener as well.

I still may try it with Haunt first to see how the build survives without Shockwave to blunt alphas. Would love to hear from others how useful they found Haunt on their doms!