How to get started?

Attaxia

Starts to say about a dozen things…stops.

I’m assuming you mean in-game?

Rather than forum RP (e.g. Paragon University thread).

Start on Everlast. Unofficial RP server. Not required but I’ve found it to be the most active RP scene (but also haven’t checked all servers).

#1 Location: Pocket D.

Lots of people with “Roleplaying” colored tag. Look at their “Description” to make sure they are willing to talk to walk-ups.

Hang around the Blueside upper bar.

#2: Clubs. Almost every night a club is advertised. There will be criers in Pocket D (near the portal). Go to the club, listen to the music link. Try to talk to people. Bartenders are a captive audience. Even greeters are good to ask things (depending on the club).

Listen and observe for a bit to get the feel for it. Get out there and dance; many times there is a large blob of people dancing. Get in there, react, ask questions, introduce yourself. Some RPers are very inviting and friendly (but sadly not all of them).

#3: RP friendly SGs. This can be risky until you get a feel for things. But it can get you introduced to people.

#4: Discord. Many of the clubs have a discord server (and City of Roleplay as well).

Again, listen and get the feel. Then participate.

Good luck.

Also, hopefully I don't get beat up too bad for giving my opinions on this because everyone has a different way.

RP on Everlast: 

Primary: Tenaxa (Victoria (Tori) Hanes-Sykes); at least 5 versions and counting

And pretty much any other character I play.

RP Forums: Paragon University thread

12 minutes ago, Tenaxa said:

Start on Everlast. Unofficial RP server. Not required but I’ve found it to be the most active RP scene (but also haven’t checked all servers).

Lots of people with “Roleplaying” colored tag. Look at their “Description” to make sure they are willing to talk to walk-ups.

#2: Clubs. Almost every night a club is advertised. There will be criers in Pocket D (near the portal). Go to the club, listen to the music link. Try to talk to people. Bartenders are a captive audience. Even greeters are good to ask things (depending on the club).

Listen and observe for a bit to get the feel for it. Get out there and dance; many times there is a large blob of people dancing. Get in there, react, ask questions, introduce yourself. Some RPers are very inviting and friendly (but sadly not all of them).

#3: RP friendly SGs. This can be risky until you get a feel for things. But it can get you introduced to people.

#4: Discord. Many of the clubs have a discord server (and City of Roleplay as well).

Good luck.

Also, hopefully I don't get beat up too bad for giving my opinions on this because everyone has a different way.

I do #1 and #2 in character, correct? Also what is criers and clubs? Sorry for the questions, I'm just trying to understand it all.

All good suggestions!

Two more good outlets for RP are:

(5) The statue of Atlas in Atlas Park can draw a decent amount of open RP also. Just look for people with pink names who are tagged for RP. It's not as busy as Pocket D, but it's a distinct feeling since it's outdoors and not as "club" focused.

(6) Look for teams in LFG that are advertised as RP, or RP-Lite. Those are a good way to get a feel for what roleplaying in a real-time environment is like, without too much pressure on you. The PvE aspect keeps things moving and gives you a steady source of things to talk or quip about. Depending on the team, it's usually typical to talk after a few spawns to go a little deeper, though less so on the ones advertised as RP-Lite.

Edited by ViciousCabaret
Clarity
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tenaxa said:

Good luck.

11 minutes ago, ViciousCabaret said:

All good suggestions!

Two more good outlets for RP are:

(5) The statue of Atlas in Atlas Park can draw a decent amount of open RP also. Just look for people with pink names who are tagged for RP. It's not as busy as Pocket D, but it's a distinct feeling since it's outdoors and not as "club" focused.

(6) Look for teams in LFG that are advertised as RP, or RP-Lite. Those are a good way to get a feel for what roleplaying in a real-time environment is like, without too much pressure on you. The PvE aspect keeps things moving and gives you a steady source of things to talk or quip about. Depending on the team, it's usually typical to talk after a few spawns to go a little deeper, though less so on the ones advertised as RP-Lite.

Would it be possible to add both of you on Discord to ask more questions?

5 minutes ago, Attaxia said:

I do #1 and #2 in character, correct? Also what is criers and clubs? Sorry for the questions, I'm just trying to understand it all.

No worries about the questions! Please, better to ask.

Also ViciousCabaret had some good additional suggestions as well that I forgot about.

Yes, in character as much as possible.

Lots of people speak in character normal or with quotes "This is in character" and use some indicator when speaking OOC
Examples: 
((This is OOC))

[[This is OOC]]

<This is OOC>

So once you get into Pocket D near the portal (not the elevators from blue or red side the glowy portal thing). Most evenings (EST is the basis) there will be someone standing there broadcasting (usually in various chats and I'm blanking at what they are called now because I am at work). 
They are basically a (usually) low level bot that just tells you that the club is open, the hours, and the name.

Right click --> Description should give you a base passcode. Click on the portal and enter that passcode and it will transport you to the base entrance.

Some take a little walking to get inside but it is usually pretty obvious.

RP on Everlast: 

I also could have sworn there was a guide posted somewhere that I had read. 

Maybe someone else can find it. Or maybe it was on City of Roleplay Discord.

RP on Everlast: 

4 hours ago, Attaxia said:

clubs might refer to 

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/clubs/

or

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Everlasting_Base_List

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.