Request for assistance: Storm/Psi build and thoughts

Pazradym

So I've been on a bit of a defender kick lately, and found that I really enjoy the combo Storm/Psi.  The trick is I am not super sure where to take it as I approach 40 and eventually endgame.  I am definitely planning on doing a full respec at 50 (who doesn't >.>) to try and optimize but wanted to ask for some guidance/thoughts from folks as to best options.  Playstyle so far has felt very controller-like, which feels a little weird for defender but has been a blast.  Lots of knockdown/up (I've been slotting knockback > knockdown for this), disorients, and other "soft" controls.  I also like that I can throw out so decent team buffs from leadership and mists, no where near a bubbler or anything, but its still nice.  I am currently leaning towards picking up dark epic for the various PBAoEs in it (and the armor) to go with the various ones in the normal sets, but I am open to thoughts on this account.  Anyway, any suggestions or just general approaches would be awesome.  Also, double tornadoes, while probably ridiculously impractical, is amazingly satisfying.

Thanks!

Edit: Current build added below

Edited by Pazradym

Current build state:

image.thumb.png.bc9f49f3ee2ba1296b0f796b94bdc3b5.png

Obviously there a lot to be fixed here, Need to get switched over to IOs from SOs. Preferably with some sets. Probably dropping Gale for O2. In practice, I just haven't used it enough to justify having it over a heal/mez break for a teammate.  Not sure on other power pickup/drops.  Have something like 7 powers left to get from levels, Right now the plan is hasten, fighting tree, and 3 picks from dark epic (probably Consumption, Embrace, and Soul Drain) but pretty much every power is up for debate.

I might later pop an attempt and doing a quick run at the build. I kind of assume the level 32 area here. The biggest thing which stands out is the lack of Hurricane while taking Thunder Clap. The only way you have to stack the disorient currently is with the nuke so by itself it is rather lackluster. Hurricane is a huge To Hit Debuff. The second other thing is how poorly slots are done. Yes, Maneuvers is nice coming from a defender, but you have it slotted more than any Storm power or attack outside of Subdue. Similar in how you have slotted Tactics. 

• Thanks 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

First off, thanks for the reply, I really want to make this work, but it pretty obvious I am struggling at the moment.  I am enjoying the character a lot, but a bit worried about were its going,  Second, I was under the impression that hurricane would actually make it harder to land the various AoEs since it repels and knockbacks targets.  In your experience is it not that bad?  I had avoided it for that reason, but if not then I'll see about shifting things around. And finally, yeah totally agree on the slotting. I pretty much just slap a couple on every power when leveling for a basic couple enhancements and do a respec once I can get into sets and such.  It definitely needs some overhaul at the moment, but tbh I am not super sure what is worth slotting up versus not right now. 

I would suggest popping a respect in Beta and trying out Hurricane. If you want to be the bull in a China shop, that option is there. I used it on my Earth/storm far more as to paint the mobs with the debuff and leave it at that. Once Hurricane touches a target, that debuff sticks for 10 seconds. As does reducing their range by 60%. Your AoEs are ranged and the only PBAoE thing you have is your nuke, so running Hurricane outside of that shouldn't be an issue.

I only leveled to 32. Look at it for the slotting or even IO ideas. I intentionally went on the cheaper side in certain cases. I did load up on one offs. You get some baseline def, and hopefully enough End management. Changing Tactics to an End Reduc helps as well. I also might favor a lower level build, and then a more end game one as I would weight the later ST attacks higher. If currency is an issue, I would start looking at threads on the Market forum. @Yomo Kimyata does a great job covering how he generates currency. You can also email him in game and get a free 100 mill if for no other reason to help with getting the Defender ATOs. Even on the high side those shouldn't be more than 96 mill. I prefer more in the 84 mill area.

Defender (Storm Summoning - Psychic Blast).mbd

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

While leveling you should avoid leadership (or at least only run it situationally). Storm is the most endurance-intensive support set. Look at the costs of your powers; lightning storm is 31 (!!) end. You almost certainly do not have the ability to support the use of storm powers and leadership powers.

Endgame storm plays very differently to levelling storm. Endgame, IO'ed out storm is a high-recharge, high-dps powerset focusing on the use of 4 key powers that every storm should have:

• Freezing rain
  • Lightning storm
  • Tornado
  • Steamy mist

An IO'ed storm can shit out 2x freezing rains, 3x lightning storms and 2x tornadoes at once, buffed by perma-souldrain and permahaste while softcapping with steamy mist and maneuvers. This massive amount of damage, -res and defense is what makes storms formidable endgame toons.

The remaining powers are not useless, but situational. Thunderclap may mule a purple or be decent if you have another stun to stack with it (eg oppressive from /soul epic); though the duration is pretty shit. O2 boost is a very weak heal, but the drain resist is valuable and it can mule the prevmed unique (it works all the time, not just when you cast the power). It can also free teammates who eat a wakie. Snow storm is weak but may be helpful for keeping mobs in your freezing rain, especially while solo.

Hurricane is optional for an incarnate storm. While potentially useful, and once considered a keystone of storm play, it is not as reliable as +def and no longer critical in the modern game where a stormfender can get 32.5%-45% def to all positions. That said, you should still have either one of gale or hurricane because being able to move mobs around has tactical value. Since hurricane is more useful for leveling builds (who do not have as much def), you can play with it on the journey to 50 and make a decision on whether to keep it when you get there. Remember that hurricane should have a KB2KD in it so that only the repel pushes critters around, and that it should only be used situationally - I sometimes see stormies who keep it on all the time. It is very endurance costly, and competes for blue with the Big 4.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Zect, this is all great data and exactly what I was hoping to hear about. 

I've dabbled a bit with Hurricane now, and while I can definitely see the benefits, it still feels a bit off from what I am doing with the rest of the build.  I need to do some power shuffling and see what I can make work as far as order of power picks. I feel like I am trying to dodge a whole lot of early powers in both sets and it is a bit of strain.  Might stick with gale over it just for that reason.

Speaking of disorient though, has anyone tried the revised scramble thoughts since the rework?  Apparently it is some sort of random stun/sleep/hold applying chain now?  But it seems like first target always get disoriented, which might still have some value.  Also with so many different potential debuffs it seems you could proc the heck out of it, though thats a bit outside my expertise currently.  Just curious if anyone had dabbled with it and had thoughts on it, as a "single target" disorient might be of some value with the potential of thunderclap, tornado, psychic wail, and maybe oppressive gloom.

Scramble Thoughts would enable you to mezz a boss.

FYI, I think at a minimum I do 5 passes on a build before I'm happy with it. I even did a build where it looked fine on paper and then I went and played it which lead to even more changes including powers. I did a Claws/ea Scrapper and got the Brute version into the 40s before doing another change. 

• Thanks 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.