Missing something in my sets

Rinwen

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

Which is a...  ...Category.

And you cite "5 5% global +Rchg", while I provide a counterexample of 1.88% Fire/Cold defense, which nevertheless comes from two different "categories", allowing you to have ten 1.88% Fire/Cold Def bonuses by value, contradicting your making a 'limit by bonus value' declaration, airily talking about unspecified 'categories' while only ever talking about numbers.

8 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

And you cite "5 5% global +Rchg", while I provide a counterexample of 1.88% Fire/Cold defense, which nevertheless comes from two different "categories", allowing you to have ten 1.88% Fire/Cold Def bonuses by value, contradicting your making a 'limit by bonus value' declaration, airily talking about unspecified 'categories' while only ever talking about numbers.

He/she clearly isn't an idiot, and has already mentioned that he/she isn't a new player, so I saw no need to sink to condescension.

But if you really want to play that game, I can, too.  Despite your assertion, that second set of 1.875% (that's the correct number, by the way (so pedantic!)) Fire/Cold Defense bonuses acquired from set bonuses which grant 3.75% AoE Defense are still in a different category, Huge Increased AoE/Fire/Cold Def Bonus, as opposed to Small Increased AoE/Fire/Cold Def Bonus category.  The use of the word category is, in fact, correct, as a category is "a class or division of people or things regarded as having particular shared characteristics", with "particular" meaning a distinction specific to whatever has the "shared characteristics", in this case, set bonus names and grouping.

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/boostset-bonuses.html?bonus_type=Defense (Area)&bonus_scale=0.0063&show_pvp=false&gt_compare=false

You will note that set bonuses are broadly categorized by their general type (Defense, Recharge, Accuracy, etc), and further categorized into specific groups within the generalized categories, those with particular shared characteristics.  This is subcategorization, which is categorization within categories.

I used category because it was the appropriate word, instantly recognizable and more concise than "grouped set bonus names", and your attempt to correct me because you didn't feel that I was precise enough to satisfy your need for pedantry was the mistake, not my use of that word.  What I said was absolutely right and I felt that it explained the situation sufficiently within the context of this discussion and to the reader, who had already expressed familiarity with the Invention system and rules.

You could have just gone into greater detail on the already existing information tendered in the thread, perhaps something in the vein of, "To expand on what @Luminara said, sometimes categories overlap, offering the same set bonus, but are not mutually exclusive.  Huge Increased AoE/Fire/Cold Def Bonus is, for instance, a category separate and distinct from Small Increased AoE/Fire/Cold Def Bonus, so even though both categories add 1.875% Fire/Cold Defense, you may accumulate five of each of them and finish with a total of 18.75% Fire/Cold Defense because they're in separate categories".  That would've been a cool way to make your point that the Invention system and rules have a layer of complexity that players should remain attentive of without wasting both of our times with whatever wild hair is up your ass.

As you can see now, I can be just as irritatingly pedantic as you when I'm pushed.  Now we can be besties and sing Madonna songs into our hairbrushes together, right?  Or do we try to kill each other and end up as a Lifetime movie of the week... I can never remember which is the proper social response.

But anyway...

Stripes Lighten Up GIF - Stripes Lighten Up - Discover & Share GIFs

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

37 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Despite your assertion, that second set of 1.875% (that's the correct number, by the way (so pedantic!))

If you want to raise the bar for pedantry, then I point you to https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Enhancement_Set_Bonuses, where you can fix all of its errors and make it a better resource for the community... including the text I copied from that page.