The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Notes on a murky quarrel

Scarlet Shocker

I've been revisiting dark powers and of course that leads me too Dark control, given how much fun that set is. I've just levelled a Dark/Rad to 50 and while I get that fully kitted out I've scoped around for something else to level and came across a thread in praise of Trick Arrow.

Both are sets I love, but I've not played either nearly enough, but /TA seems to offer a lot of synergy with Dark, on paper at least.

I've been working a build in Mids which seems to offer some high flexibility and useful all-round performance. This looks like it should be great in teams and good to solo in most situations.

I elected to take every TA power, but skip Fearsome Stare and Heart of Darkness from Dark - sacrifices needed to be made and on this character my focus is on keeping mobs in one place with a like synergy, so I've effectively got 3 immobs and 3 holds, plus a good confuse and several debuffs.

I've taken Sorcery because... well the perennial issue with /TA is how to light Oil Slick if you're not a fire toon and I seem to recall that Arcane Bolt is a good option to light it. I went for science origin which I often do, but I realise I'm probably going to have to swap out the temp startup power to get the one that also works on OSA. (Energy? from memory)

I'm struggling to choose a PPP - I want to avoid fire, I dislike Soul, so chose Mace, primarily because of the Def boost it gives, and the accuracy bonus. Every hit counts, right?

The numbers look reasonable, and I'm not one for min/maxing but I do like to pull my weight on teams and be able to solo stuff at even level (not trying to solo the world at x8+4) so I'd welcome any thoughts/feedback within those parameters

• Like 2

Those who study history are destined to stand around helplessly watching those who haven't repeat the mistakes of the past

3 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

but skip Fearsome Stare and Heart of Darkness from Dark

Why bother playing Dark at all? Skip Shadowy Binds and Haunt. Glue Arrow is also skippable on a controller.

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

I am the first to admit I have a... problem. Damn near every single toon I've made that has the option to take Dark Miasma/Affinity does, and my "Main" is a Dark/Dark controller. So I feel like I should be at least qualified to say... Fearsome Stare is a huge part of the sets it is in. I have to agree with @Uun here, there are a lot better things to drop from DC - Haunt, Binds, LS, etc. To each their own in regards to playstyle, but Heart of Darkness is potent enough to build around all in itself with it's fantastic proc options and long duration stun, and FS is the largest -tohit the set provides, and in a massive cone to boot. I would personally drop even Shadow Field before either of them.

I have 0 experience with TA so I have nothing to say there, though I'll say that Mu mastery is not a terrible option for the extra AoE in ball lightning to help with the oil ignition, if you're willing to take a resist armor rather than defensive. Focused Accuracy is all well and good, but at that point Tactics might be a better pick with troller's support scale and team utility role. Just my 2c.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later

It's in the 30s now and I'm going to say it's a LOT of fun. Very strong and durable, with a good mix of powers. Highly recommended.

I like Dark control as a set and I love TA but not everything synergises as well as this. Once it's at 50 and slotted my prediction is it's going to have a great deal going for it

• Like 1

Those who study history are destined to stand around helplessly watching those who haven't repeat the mistakes of the past

I'm mostly holding, rather than immob. It's working very well - I'm enjoying it a lot but I have been distracted by a Red Fedora*

*altitis bites - that's a Mind/Rad dominator that is proving to be very very dangerous but sucks end fast!