War of the Worlds game

Techwright

I've been watching the YouTube videos put out by Flipswitch Games regarding their in-development game of War of the Worlds, and though clearly not ready for Alpha just yet, the work done to this point is amazing.  Several of the videos terrified me just watching (of course, nudged along by the player acting rashly a few times). Night time sequences are particularly stressful. It's clear the game is taking many of its cues from the Tom Cruise film, though perhaps not all of them. 

Here is the latest demo. Note around 19:45 that there is also play-as-tripod mode: 

And here's the channel if you wish to view more: https://www.youtube.com/@waroftheworldsgame9026/videos

Nobody would have believed, in the opening years of the 21st Century, that human affairs were being played like a video game from the timeless worlds of space...

...although given the reality show finale the world's turning into, I wouldn't have been surprised.

Yep, very impressed if this is a pre-alpha, though the humans are currently getting less animation love than the aliens.

I think I'm probably too much of a nervous disposition to be watching this, let alone playing it...

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

And apparently they've got company.

While I wonder if this thing will ever see the light of day, or even some gameplay, this teaser (more of a concept) for a game with a Siberian perspective on the War of the Worlds has me intrigued.

4 hours ago, Crystal Dragon said:

O_O I got the happy-goosebumps going watching these clips, ...are they looking for play testers yet?

I'm a little confused by what I see, but I think it plays out like this:  Steam lists them in Early Access, but there's currently not a button to buy or try.  I think the reason it is listed that way is that they're doing some funding via Patreon.  The upper tier on Patreon, a one-time $100 with a limited number of spots, allows for the person to get a spot as a game tester.  Flipswitch, the company making the game, announced the game in 2022, and gaming.net just days ago speculated that the game may come out in 2024.   My rule of thumb is that if a gaming site states a date, add at least a year to the estimate.  But that's my jaded speculation.  You can see their article yourself here:  https://www.gaming.net/war-of-the-worlds-everything-we-know/

• Techwright changed the title to War of the Worlds game

Had to post one other.  This starts with a recreation of the ferry scene from the movie (sans people during development) and moves from one tense sequence to another. I find the scenes with the house probe and the pursing aliens indoors to be the most intense.  I'm also noticing carnage in the plane wreck.

I am thoroughly intrigued, I read the original book and am a bit of a fan of the radio show and the musical versions of the retelling. If you don't know Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds YOU MUST LISTEN TO IT AT LEAST ONCE!

But uhhhh yeah, wishlisted to follow developer updates and DEFINITELY going to try to get in on early access as soon as play testing becomes available! :3

• Thumbs Up 1

Roleplaying mentor volunteer, and mentorship contributor.

Chatrange Popmenu/Where to find me/Beginners Links

blinkiesCafe-Ov.gif.461b52017365412a34160eb002f74cfe.gif

• 2 months later

It sounds like they're putting a lot of effort into creating a thrilling and immersive experience. The videos must be quite intense, especially with the night sequences adding to the suspense. It's intriguing that the game is drawing inspiration from the Tom Cruise film while also adding its own twists. Looking forward to hearing more about it as development continues!
By the way, if you're into gaming, you might find a dice roller tool useful for your gaming sessions. It can add an element of randomness and fun to your games.

Edited by Wackyland
  • Like 1