SQL Host Hardware Upgrades

Telephone

17 minutes ago, Zombra said:

Forgive a ground level question, but does the server selection screen automatically update when server status changes, or will I need to refresh it?  I'm leaving the client open on a 2nd monitor so I can see when we're back online 🙂

It occasionally polls the servers to check the status. You can also check the Server Status channel in the Discord. 

• Thanks 1

Lockely's AE Tales:

H: The Rook's Gambit (Arc ID 49351), P: Best Left Buried (WIP)

On 1/24/2024 at 6:23 AM, General Idiot said:

Personally I distinctly remember getting lag spikes of the kind described here back on live. And given the discussion of large leagues I can't help but wonder if that barrier thing was part of what made incarnate trials lag so horribly when they first released too. BAF especially I remember having upwards of thirty seconds delay on some things because the server was just that far behind.

So it's possible this was an issue on live too and just not considered enough of a problem to invest time and resources into solving it for no direct return.

I remember the Rikti Warzone mass raids being the worst, once we're up on the ship on "Live" all those powers made the server play it as stop motion animation, it's significantly less now, but can still obviously be improved. Hami was never as bad but it still got the lag fest on "Live" and BAF was bad on the pulls, but after the two first bosses it wasn't so bad.

I also remember NCSoft constantly saying they was doing everything they could to address the issue. But never really did. 

It's actually nice to see it finaly getting addressed and hopefully sorted. Thanks team! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Any thoughts on if this will help alleviate the issues with the Auction House, Character Items, and Super Packs? Or if this will allow the removal of the timers put on claiming items from character items?

A while back, these became issues for some players, where character items and some features (like super packs) would lock up entirely until the next reboot. Often it would happen after placing items on the AH. I don't recall all the details (the posts are here in the forums), but some of the blame was placed on Excelsior's server woes. Changes were put into place to limit the speed of claiming items, where attempting to claim items faster than one in about a second would essentially lock up your ability to claim more items for around 5 seconds. Also last week, for the first time in probably over a year, I had character items and super packs lock up for hours with the reply of Character or Account item claim failed, another request is pending.

On 1/23/2024 at 10:21 PM, Lunar Ronin said:

There weren't as many people nor as much activity back on the live servers.  I've found that people seriously misremember how small the live servers were in comparison to Excelsior and even Everlasting, likely skewed by modern MMORPGs.  I've seen a few people over the years say that Infinity was a small server back on live.  It was the third most populated server back then, just behind Freedom and Virtue. :classic_laugh:

So fan servers are more populated now than the official servers just before the shutdown? Very impressive. What about right now VS when the game first launched in the early 2000s?

• City Council
7 hours ago, Tenebrose said:

Any thoughts on if this will help alleviate the issues with the Auction House, Character Items, and Super Packs? Or if this will allow the removal of the timers put on claiming items from character items?

A while back, these became issues for some players, where character items and some features (like super packs) would lock up entirely until the next reboot. Often it would happen after placing items on the AH. I don't recall all the details (the posts are here in the forums), but some of the blame was placed on Excelsior's server woes. Changes were put into place to limit the speed of claiming items, where attempting to claim items faster than one in about a second would essentially lock up your ability to claim more items for around 5 seconds. Also last week, for the first time in probably over a year, I had character items and super packs lock up for hours with the reply of Character or Account item claim failed, another request is pending.

These databases are on a separate database host and wouldn't be impacted by this upgrade. If/when we upgrade that server, AccountServer (which handles the account-wide inventory and super packs) may see some performance uplift. It's possible we may look at potential improvements on the code side at some point in the near future as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

Cipher

City Council

If you need help, please submit a support request here or use /petition in-game.

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

12 hours ago, Cipher said:

It's possible we may look at potential improvements on the code side at some point in the near future as well.

If I may, I fully support you all in any back end code improvements you make that would improve overall performance and fix long-standing issues with the game engine.  To be honest, I'd happily give up new costume pieces and missions and power sets while these more important tasks get done for the overall, long term health and growth of the game.  As always, thank you all for your efforts here. 

• Thumbs Up 1