Tech Question about MapOptions using /OptionSet Command

/OptionSet MapOptions 10 

should work to set the options in the Map window to show only Trains.

/OptionSet MapOptions 2

should work to set the options in the Map window to show only Gates.

Although setting these options with /OptionSet do correctly alter the default options.txt file, no change occurs in the Map window. After setting the option, I've tried clicking the APPLY NOW button in the Options window, /synch, loading into a different zone, and restarting the game client... and still nothing. 

I gotta admit... I'm stumped.

There are also 2 other map option names that perform similar functions, but also don't seem to affect anything:

• MapOptionRevision
  • MapOptions2

The argument after the option name (10, 2, etc) follows the bitmap format similarly to /hideset, but there's no sense in figuring it all out unless it actually works. 

Does anyone know a way to make this work? Or is the MapOptions function just broken?

Thanks ahead of time!  

Edited by BlackSpectre

Do you have City Mod Installer with VidiotsMaps?

That may cause an issue with /optionset as it replaces the default map. Just a thought.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

On 2/2/2024 at 3:38 AM, Marine X said:

Do you have City Mod Installer with VidiotsMaps?

That may cause an issue with /optionset as it replaces the default map. Just a thought.

OK. I've done some more testing and VideoTMaps doesn't have any effect on the Map Options. But doing more testing led me to figure out that I was been being faked out by Options.txt! What I started doing was changing an option with the mouse, and then looking in the Options.txt file to see what number the game used to set the option... rather than simply using /OptionSet to set a number and then looking in the Map window to see what option was set. Doing it that way I figured out several options that can be set... however, I couldn't find all the options that are available in the Map window. Not too unusual since the game is old and options or commands were sometimes not updated as new content and options were added... but there is something weird going on in the background that I don't understand.

For example, when setting "Contact - Has New Mission" in the Map window using a mouse. Options.txt shows the setting for MapOptions to be 80000000. Yet when I use /Optionset MapOptions 80000000 it sets the options in the Map window to "Architect Entertainment", "MissionObjective", and "Precinct".  It's very odd. They should be the same, but aren't.

It's possible there is some interplay between MapOptions, MapOptions2, and MapOptionRevision that I don't understand. I'll keep working on it. At least I've had some success. 🙂

• Like 1

Some weirdness explained... Looking at the Options.txt file as I change MapOptions settings using /OptionSet, or with the mouse in the Map window, there are times when the numerical setting in the file changes into hexadecimal format. /OptionSet does not like hexadecimal numbers, but converting the hex number into standard form seems to work with the command. This explains the variances using the values from the Options.txt file with the /OptionSet command. 

The definition in the game files for the MapOptionRevision option is: "Used to initialize the MapOptions and MapOptions2 values to handle new defaults we want to set". I've seen it go from values of 4, 8, and 20. Not sure what that means. It doesn't appear to like the value of 0, and whenever I load into a zone it changes the setting to one of those 3 values.

To make it even more complicated, the available options change based on the map the character is zoned into. For example, the option to view the Architect Entertainment icon on the map won't appear in the options list in the Map window if there is no AE building on that map (Atlas is sometimes an exception but it's intermittent). These options also don't appear on different maps:  Leaguemates and Teammates, etc.  

So far I think I've been able to get all the map options except "Contact - Has New Mission".  Not even converting from hex to decimal seems to work on this option. And depending on the map, the hex number changes for MapOptions in Options.txt. Still working on it...

UPDATE: Yep, "Contact - Has new Mission" has me beat. I haven't been able to find any single argument (I.e., number) that remains consistent across all maps and times.  😞

Edited by BlackSpectre

Not all the maps in the game are the same because not all instances are the same. Not all instances are game generated instances. Some instances are actually created like a SG Base. The one that is most used in the game for example is the Midnighter Club. It's a SG type Base as opposed to being Generated like other instances. As the Devs moved forward from that issue, issue 12 I believe, they made more and more instances like that. 

Now saying all of that, I also know that the maps for the SG Base type instances are different then the game generated instance maps.  Is this possibly what you are seeing?

The game is Twenty years old. It has new on top of old on top of older code. I was once told the code for CoH is like a Pool of Sewage with a clean bucket of water thrown in.  You may just be seeing different code processes from different time periods. 

• Like 1

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.