Staff Stalker Attack Chain

StriderIV

Hey all!

So I rolled a Staff/Stone Stalker (themed after a Dragoon!) and I really enjoy him. Tough as nails and some pretty decent damage.

I’m stuck on an attack chain out of hide for him though. I want to use the build/spender aspect on Staff, so I can either get the +resists on Sky Splitter or the extra damage on Eye of the Storm. I’m not sure if it jives with the stalkers ATO and when we should use Assassin’s Strike though.

If anyone has a Staff Stalker, I’d love to hear what attack chain(s) you use!

• Like 1

I vaguely remember someone tested or did the calculation, and Staff's best attack chain on a Stalker is AS-SR-PS-MB-repeat. Maintaining the Body Perfection stacks made it better than burning them and rebuilding.

But I hear you, SS and EotS are pretty awesome looking attacks. I like using them, usually SS/EotS right after AS. My attack chain is typically AS-SS-PS-SR-MB-repeat for single target. AS-EotS-SR-MB-GS-repeat for AoE. But I run without Hasten. You could probably go:

ST: AS-SS-SR-MB-repeat
AoE: AS-EotS-GS-MB-repeat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StrikerFox said:

I vaguely remember someone tested or did the calculation, and Staff's best attack chain on a Stalker is AS-SR-PS-MB-repeat. Maintaining the Body Perfection stacks made it better than burning them and rebuilding.

But I hear you, SS and EotS are pretty awesome looking attacks. I like using them, usually SS/EotS right after AS. My attack chain is typically AS-SS-PS-SR-MB-repeat for single target. AS-EotS-SR-MB-GS-repeat for AoE. But I run without Hasten. You could probably go:

ST: AS-SS-SR-MB-repeat
AoE: AS-EotS-GS-MB-repeat

This was EXTREMELY helpful Fox, thank you. I guess I should not really try to get so caught up on Lv 3 Sky Splitter. The resists probably aren’t that huge of a thing for a Stalker anyways.

• Like 1

I don't like MB because the abysmal 65% chance to proc Focus means you lose a lot of AS crits as a result.

AS -> SR (95%) -> PS (80%) -> MB (65%)

implies

0.95 * 0.80 * 0.65 = 0.494 = 49.4% chance to have 3 stacks of Focus. Half of the time, you will fail to crit.

Meanwhile AS -> SS (100%) -> SR (95%) -> PS (80%)

gives you 76% chance for 3 stacks. 3 out of 4 is a significant step up from 1 out of 2, in reliability.

SS gives you a meaty crit, great resistances, strong soft control. Its lengthy animation is a great spot for procs.

Now I know even critless AS does great DPA. So I can believe a AS SR PS MB chain would be optimal for DPS in static situations against tough targets.

But there's a lot more flexibility to AS SS SR PS in general.

The resistances are especially nice with the right combination. If +10% pushes you from 60% to 70%, the upside is asymmetric.

I have a Staff/Invul I played about 2 years ago, was very happy with the combo. Could take on +4/x8 Rularuu with relatively tame insp use, and I'm confident this is thanks to the +res and knockups/downs. In all fairness Invul is probably the secondary where Sky Splitter shines best, between the passive nature of Invul (gives room for slow animations) and the native resistances.

I also was a Placateless noob at the time, so make of that what you will.

I guess I'm a MB hater above all. It's just too weak of an attack. Low Focus chance. Fast recharge + fast animation makes for terrible proc rate. Ability to slot an Achilles' Heel doesn't make up for it, for reasons - I could page Sovera to rant about this one. Really, all tier1 Stalker attacks with a 3s or 4s recharge are kind of ass...

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, StriderIV said:

This was EXTREMELY helpful Fox, thank you. I guess I should not really try to get so caught up on Lv 3 Sky Splitter. The resists probably aren’t that huge of a thing for a Stalker anyways.

If the resistance lasted for say 30 seconds it would be easier to maintain, but at 15 seconds that basically forces you to popping lvl 3 SS as you get it.

I have a Staff/Invuln myself, that leaned more into the defense aspect with guarded spin than the resistance from sky splitter.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, nihilii said:

I don't like MB because the abysmal 65% chance to proc Focus means you lose a lot of AS crits as a result.

AS -> SR (95%) -> PS (80%) -> MB (65%)

implies

0.95 * 0.80 * 0.65 = 0.494 = 49.4% chance to have 3 stacks of Focus. Half of the time, you will fail to crit.

Meanwhile AS -> SS (100%) -> SR (95%) -> PS (80%)

gives you 76% chance for 3 stacks. 3 out of 4 is a significant step up from 1 out of 2, in reliability.

SS gives you a meaty crit, great resistances, strong soft control. Its lengthy animation is a great spot for procs.

Now I know even critless AS does great DPA. So I can believe a AS SR PS MB chain would be optimal for DPS in static situations against tough targets.

But there's a lot more flexibility to AS SS SR PS in general.

The resistances are especially nice with the right combination. If +10% pushes you from 60% to 70%, the upside is asymmetric.

I have a Staff/Invul I played about 2 years ago, was very happy with the combo. Could take on +4/x8 Rularuu with relatively tame insp use, and I'm confident this is thanks to the +res and knockups/downs. In all fairness Invul is probably the secondary where Sky Splitter shines best, between the passive nature of Invul (gives room for slow animations) and the native resistances.

I also was a Placateless noob at the time, so make of that what you will.

I guess I'm a MB hater above all. It's just too weak of an attack. Low Focus chance. Fast recharge + fast animation makes for terrible proc rate. Ability to slot an Achilles' Heel doesn't make up for it, for reasons - I could page Sovera to rant about this one. Really, all tier1 Stalker attacks with a 3s or 4s recharge are kind of ass...

Great info here. Quick question:  does AS SS SR PS as an attack chain give you the resists on Sky Splitter? I thought that only happened when you used a spender on it, unless you can have a spender lined up after you open with AS.