This may not be a bug, but I get a game-crashing RAM leak with a few other heroes around

temnix

The situation: my character has just emerged from Galaxy City under Shivan attack. She is standing in Atlas park, on the steps, and up ahead there may be ten-twelve other characters. They all have something on: auras, floating discs, whatever. It's quite tasteless to have so much sparkle on. Well, they crash my client at once. The game becomes unresponsive within seconds, and when I look at Windows Task Manager, before I shut the client down from there, it shows a gigantic memory uptake. No wonder the client crashes. And yes, this is a weak computer. But it was able to run the original City of Heroes. In fact, a large portion of the game's appeal comes from system requirements I can handle. What am I supposed to do? This character is stuck there, because there is always going to be this unbearably gaudy crowd around the trainers in Atlas Park.

Come to think of it, I would rather not see the other players at all. I have never cared for team play, for groups, and most of their concepts don't impress me. I am in the game for what the designers have put in - interesting plots, beautiful art, scary monsters. For other heroes and villains I have NPC. I wouldn't mind other players flickering by, but not if they are going to make my game unplayable. Is there some way to play this universe in single player mode?

• Haha 2

What @Ghost means is that you need to install the full game (as if you were a server) and not just the client side application if you want to play the game in single player mode. (Of course, that also means you lose access to any new content.)

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Rudra said:

What @Ghost means is that you need to install the full game (as if you were a server) and not just the client side application if you want to play the game in single player mode. (Of course, that also means you lose access to any new content.)

How do I do that?

3 minutes ago, temnix said:
9 hours ago, Rudra said:

How do I do that?

You get a copy of the actual game. There are other servers, you can ask them where they found the game. (Edit: Considering the recent deal with NCSoft, I doubt the dev team for HC will tell you where to find it.)

Edited by Rudra

The Software is here...

OuroDev

Also since your machine is older you may look at upgrades. I just bought a Dell Laptop with a discreet NiVidia video card, Core i7 processor, and 500GB HD for $89.99.

I upgraded it from 4GB of Ram to 16Gb for a whopping $24.00 including shipping. Major upgrades on older gear can be really inexpensive and make a huge difference, memory is one of biggest factors. If you don't want to buy memory, just enlarge the paging file ( virtual memory ) using vacant Harddrive space, it's in control panel under performance usually.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

1 hour ago, Marine X said:

The Software is here...

OuroDev

Also since your machine is older you may look at upgrades. I just bought a Dell Laptop with a discreet NiVidia video card, Core i7 processor, and 500GB HD for $89.99.

I upgraded it from 4GB of Ram to 16Gb for a whopping $24.00 including shipping. Major upgrades on older gear can be really inexpensive and make a huge difference, memory is one of biggest factors. If you don't want to buy memory, just enlarge the paging file ( virtual memory ) using vacant Harddrive space, it's in control panel under performance usually.

Thanks. But even if I find the money, I can't get these kinds of deals. They are probably mostly for Americans. I live in Russia, and I can't even wire money anywhere on account of sanctions. Here would take buying some weaker new computer... The page file is already big. Anyway, I don't really have the right to complain, playing on such a weak machine. But I hope the devs listen to my idea about letting people move characters betwen servers freely, for temporary trips. Like between parallel dimensions. That could distribute the load more evenly.