kinetics / sonic

Crossie

oh boy, here’s my time to shine

one of the two characters i’ve played for the last 4.5 years is a kin/sonic defender. i made mine in may 2019 and have been playing it nearly every day since. it does hard mode content, speed runs, posi 1 and everything in between

it has a few set bonuses for some +recharge and +accuracy but that’s about it from the IO side - this is a combination you can play absolutely fine with SOs or basic IOs if you wanted to with minimal penalties

on the kin side, pick up transfusion, siphon power, siphon speed, inertial reduction, transference and FS. increase density is okay, but i tend to pick it up in the higher levels

i have my speed boost slotted for 2 end mod, some people use more endurance than you’d think possible

siphon power is great for the lower levels, a two stacked siphon power and assault from the leadership pool will give your lowbie teams around +67% damage

on the sonic side, the debuff has been hit by a hard nerf a few updates ago, the -res component is not very strong thesedays, but still useful to ‘enhance’ the -res debuffs of others by adding some extra

howl is a good cone to apply that -res debuff against mobs, screech is now a good ST attack that would work well having a purple damage proc in it as the recharge is slightly slower

i’d recommend picking up vengeance and then power boost from the soul mastery - a slotted veng with powerboost gives around +63% def and a lot of +to hit, it’s a game changer when a battle is going south

definitely pick up fold space, it creates lovely mob bunches for fulcrum shift

i wouldn’t bother building for defense, it’s a waste of pool powers and isn’t necessary. i’ve never felt the need for it in the many hundreds, possibly thousands of hours i’ve played my defender

i’ll screenshot my build in a bit, hopefully this is some useful initial thinking

edit: one important note, how you play a kin defender is far more important than the build or IOs. keep the team topped up with SB at all times, stack it between missions, look for the best opportunity to cast fulcrum shift, buffing the damage dealers the most, look for who may need healing quickly after getting whacked, is the mob in a good position to cast howl for some group wide -res, is there an opportunity for a powerboosted veng, when is the right time to jump into the mob to cast FS.

kin is a very active set. played well it’s fantastic

Edited by MoonSheep

some screenshots. and yes it has provoke haha, i like a bit of chaos - that part is optional 😛

in summary.. no real planning or strategy. two Luck of the Gamble +7.5% Rech in manuvers and veng, one or two set bonuses for some +rech and the rest of it just for the hell of it or for no apparent reason

not to add some indecision to the mix, but following the sonic -res nerfs, i'm not sure whether i'd roll it as a /sonic if i was to make it again. i explored /elec, and love end drain, but found it's not actually a good pairing with kin as the mobs die so quickly that seeking to drain all the endurance is a bit pointless. nature/elec a better combination for that in my view

i play my defender as solely support and focus on the secondary effect of the blasts, i also play a lot of lower level content. with that in mind, i would likely play /rad blast if i was to make it again. the -def component in things like irridiate would help lower level teams, especially against things like CoT

if you play mostly end game content, i'd go for a fire blast/kin corrupter - but still re-iterating my point on making sure the team are well stocked with SB/FS

hope this is some useful insight, and please enjoy laughing at my build

image.thumb.png.fcf9e349788b65678b51591aab111c4b.png

image.png.94940f0c388cf2030f992b2ff8dcebed.png

image.png.2beb313cd5549c226586641b2ff03564.png

On 2/18/2024 at 3:21 AM, MoonSheep said:

some screenshots. and yes it has provoke haha, i like a bit of chaos - that part is optional 😛

in summary.. no real planning or strategy. two Luck of the Gamble +7.5% Rech in manuvers and veng, one or two set bonuses for some +rech and the rest of it just for the hell of it or for no apparent reason

not to add some indecision to the mix, but following the sonic -res nerfs, i'm not sure whether i'd roll it as a /sonic if i was to make it again. i explored /elec, and love end drain, but found it's not actually a good pairing with kin as the mobs die so quickly that seeking to drain all the endurance is a bit pointless. nature/elec a better combination for that in my view

i play my defender as solely support and focus on the secondary effect of the blasts, i also play a lot of lower level content. with that in mind, i would likely play /rad blast if i was to make it again. the -def component in things like irridiate would help lower level teams, especially against things like CoT

if you play mostly end game content, i'd go for a fire blast/kin corrupter - but still re-iterating my point on making sure the team are well stocked with SB/FS

THANK YOU !!!!!  Are you able to plug that into MIDS so I can see which enhancements they are and kick it over this way?  Build looks super solid and I love to see you enjoy this build!

• Like 1

On 2/18/2024 at 3:21 AM, MoonSheep said:

Whyd did you get provoke? 

1 hour ago, Crossie said:

THANK YOU !!!!!  Are you able to plug that into MIDS so I can see which enhancements they are and kick it over this way?  Build looks super solid and I love to see you enjoy this build!

sure, i’ll pop the build into there tomorrow. there’s lots that can be improved, and a lot that doesn’t make much sense

my overall view is don’t worry too much, having the core powers (transfusion, siphon power, SB, FS) and using them well is the most important part

On 2/17/2024 at 11:14 AM, Crossie said:

Does anybody have a good build for this?  I asked in help yesterday what pairs with Kinetics and Sonic was suggested which makes sense.  

Please help!

I've run a Kin/Sonic since back when the game went live. There are a number of ways to play it, but I definitely recommend you not skip your defenses - particularly your Area defense, since you'll often find yourself moving into the thick of it and even if a good tank is holding aggro all those AoE attacks flying around can ruin your day.

I have a lot of different versions of the build - I can show you what it would look like at a particular level, with only generic IO's or maxed out with unlimited funds, just let me know what you need. Linked below is the base build with only two purple IO sets - the AT-specific ones for Defenders. You can easily replace these with their non-superior versions or a third set of Thunderstrike (for Screech) and a set of Eradicate (for Dreadful Wail) for much, much cheaper.

This build basically has it's Smashing, Lethal & Energy defenses over the soft-cap and it's Ranged and AoE right at it (43.7% or 42.5% without purple sets). That should be more than enough for you to do your job without fear of becoming an accidental casualty - remember, Defender, your group is counting on you! Also of note - Accuracy is important, for you especially. Until you start getting together some of those set bonuses that will boost yours, you should slot Siphon Power, Siphon Speed and Transference with an Accuracy enhancement rather than what I've shown here.

[K-D1VA].mbd

The thing about this build is that it can be played in so many ways. You can hang back and focus on purely buffing and healing your party, you can focus on a single hard target, debuffing their speed, damage, etc. all while piling up -Res debuffs so that your allies hammer him harder, or you can be an effective crowd control/AoE threat by cycling Shockwave -> Howl -> Siren's Song (in that order) over and over to just melt mobs away and popping the occasional  nuke with FS + Dreadful Wail if you're lacking a Blaster to do it for you. 

Edited by Story Archer

22 hours ago, Story Archer said:

I've run a Kin/Sonic since back when the game went live. There are a number of ways to play it, but I definitely recommend you not skip your defenses - particularly your Area defense, since you'll often find yourself moving into the thick of it and even if a good tank is holding aggro all those AoE attacks flying around can ruin your day.

I have a lot of different versions of the build - I can show you what it would look like at a particular level, with only generic IO's or maxed out with unlimited funds, just let me know what you need. Linked below is the base build with only two purple IO sets - the AT-specific ones for Defenders. You can easily replace these with their non-superior versions or a third set of Thunderstrike (for Screech) and a set of Eradicate (for Dreadful Wail) for much, much cheaper.

This build basically has it's Smashing, Lethal & Energy defenses over the soft-cap and it's Ranged and AoE right at it (43.7% or 42.5% without purple sets). That should be more than enough for you to do your job without fear of becoming an accidental casualty - remember, Defender, your group is counting on you! Also of note - Accuracy is important, for you especially. Until you start getting together some of those set bonuses that will boost yours, you should slot Siphon Power, Siphon Speed and Transference with an Accuracy enhancement rather than what I've shown here.

[K-D1VA].mbd 42.8 kB · 4 downloads

The thing about this build is that it can be played in so many ways. You can hang back and focus on purely buffing and healing your party, you can focus on a single hard target, debuffing their speed, damage, etc. all while piling up -Res debuffs so that your allies hammer him harder, or you can be an effective crowd control/AoE threat by cycling Shockwave -> Howl -> Siren's Song (in that order) over and over to just melt mobs away and popping the occasional  nuke with FS + Dreadful Wail if you're lacking a Blaster to do it for you. 

Can you send me a no budget at all top S tier build?  That would be awesome! I love your story on this.  It makes me so excited to play it!

12 hours ago, Crossie said:

Can you send me a no budget at all top S tier build?  That would be awesome! I love your story on this.  It makes me so excited to play it!

Not sure what you mean by 'no budget', but this would be one of the cheapest you could do, apart from just going straight generic IO's... I'm still selecting the 'must get' IO's, however and a few of the cheaper sets. I didn't do anything with the L50 slots because by then you will probably be looking for something a bit fancier. As it is, this build puts you at the defensive soft cap for Smashing, Lethal and Energy and gets the recharge down for everything you need it down for. Let me know if this works for you.

K-D1VA (minimum).mbd

Or did you mean a build where you have unlimited funds?

8 hours ago, Story Archer said:

Not sure what you mean by 'no budget', but this would be one of the cheapest you could do, apart from just going straight generic IO's... I'm still selecting the 'must get' IO's, however and a few of the cheaper sets. I didn't do anything with the L50 slots because by then you will probably be looking for something a bit fancier. As it is, this build puts you at the defensive soft cap for Smashing, Lethal and Energy and gets the recharge down for everything you need it down for. Let me know if this works for you.

K-D1VA (minimum).mbd 40.97 kB · 0 downloads

I mean what would be an expensive but great build if influence didn't matter.  I like to really deck out my toons.  

On 2/24/2024 at 1:30 AM, Story Archer said:

K-D1VA (minimum).mbd 40.97 kB · 2 downloads

Sorry Yes-

What would a build look like with unlimited funds?