Dear Devs-Please allow a choice of sounds for certain Arsenal Assault gun powers

This is actually a broader ask.

In short, if I pick a beam/energy rifle or pistol I'd like the shot powers to have beam/energy sound effects.

For me, it's completely immersion breaking if I have a Flash Gordon/Star Trek/Star Wars

/Advanced Energy Rifle or Pistol and it produces bullet sound effects (BANG! or an Automatic weapon Burst) when I shoot it.

I'm actually less included to use the character because of the immersion issues. 

I believe this would be hard work so I'm completely happy with recycling existing energy weapon sounds in game (eg. Ritki). It would be nice to have another sound effect option; a Energy Weapon Sound Effect bank.

For Arsenal Assault those powers that would receive the Energy Weapon Sound Effect are: Burst and Sniper Rifle.

For Thugs those powers that would receive the Energy Weapon Sound Effect are: Pistols, Dual Wield, Empty Clips

For Mercenaries: Burst, Slug

And so on. 

Thanks for reading and considering this. And thank you for your work. 

I actually asked a dev about this on the closed beta discord a week ago. They said that they probably won't do it for DP because of how complex the powerset is with all of its redirects and such. 

Assault Rifle/Arsenal however probably would be much simpler. 

Also note that the game has no way to determine what sounds to use based on individual weapon variants. The way it would need to be handled is that the player would just select an alternate FX option that comes with a different sound effect. This would allow for weirdness like using beam sounds for traditional rifle models and vice-versa, but that shouldn't be too big of a deal. 

• Like 2

Closed Beta Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/DptUBzh

Posted (edited)

Dual Pistols powerset was not my prime ask, but I can understand any confusion, but they could certainly be included if it were not too difficult.  If an alternative FX is the path of least resistance then so be it. I'm a fan of the good and not the perfect.  

Edited by Dogooder

Dual Pistols would be appropriate to have alternate sounds now...  regular bullet pew pew noises, plus laser beam zap-zap and bow string sounds for those nifty new crossbows that were added.  They look cool, but I will openly mock anyone that I see using them because of the bullet shooty noises that come from them.  Dumb dumb dumb.  Don't give us something that looks cool until it's used and then sounds absolutely stupid.  I was lead to believe that there were quality standards for what would be released to player use... and if this is the level of it, then there's an awful lot of other things that players want but probably won't get released for "quality issues" but should because none of it's as dumb as "bang-bang" crossbows.

That said...  Assault Rifle needs that muffled submachine gun firing sounds and also laser zap zap noises.