I though I was bad

I found a City of Heroes streamer and though this could be fun.  They are on HC, but i don't know which server and I don't think I wanna know.  I think they are a sg of farmers, facing the big bad outside for the first time.  Got a 8 team and decided to do a Penelope Yin taskforce, they must have spent 10 minutes in Faultline.  Eventually they got to IP and off they were running.  Team was 3 Tanks,  PB, Corr, Scrapper, Controller, blaster.  I was dozing off when loud noise from the tv woke me.  I couldn't believe it, 20 minutes into the first cave and they had wiped.  At first I couldn't believe it, then I got curious, so I got all the way woke and started watching.  The streamer was playing one of the 3 tanks and nears as I can tell, he was a stone/elec, that only used taunt, because he believed his damage numbers sucked.

I really don't know what the troller, blaster and scrap were doing, but after around an hour they finished the task force.  There were a few more defeats, but no more wipes and I don't think they were at +4/8x.  I'm not going to name the stream, because that would be mean, but I subscribed and will keep on watching because they make me feel good about myself.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Lusiphur Malache said:

but I subscribed and will keep on watching because they make me feel good about myself

Ordinarily, I am suspicious that at least some of the train wreck stuff that happens on streams like this is somewhat staged but the bit about the tank, I have actually seen.  Once ran into an Ice/Ice Tanker that called himself a "pure" tank because the only attack he took, because he was forced to, he didn't use.  Dude would just hover in the middle of a fight with all his toggles on, occasionally throwing out a taunt but often enough just... being. 

It looked quite relaxing.

The other part I believe is that many farms are specifically designed to avoid "troublesome" debuffs like defense and endurance, so farm builds don't even need to worry about them.  Wouldn't be a bit surprised if those tankers were being detoggled by endurance loss vs. Freaks in some of those missions.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, not saying it was the same situation but point is: that thinking exists that a Tanker on a team should just be a wall.  Might be they had attacks for soloing or farming but believed on a team their role should be all defensive.   I dunno.  Could even be an attitude that comes from more rigorously Tank/Heal/DPS games than this one.

Funny part is, a Tanker taunts whatever they hit so laying about you with all your attacks on TOP of taunting and taunt aura is the best way to get and keep aggro for a team.  If you have a big epic AoE for example, that sucker is a ranged AoE taunt on a Tanker.  There are Tankers who even don't take Taunt (the power) because of all those other ways to taunt.  I am not one of them, but it's a way... and it certainly makes a lot more sense than just standing around tossing out that one Taunt power.

• Like 2