The New-Alt Chicken Run to Get Travel Powers

Shenanigunner

It is no longer hard to get useful transportation powers like the Ouro portal or the Long Range TP. But for squeaky-new alts with barely a punch to their name and no travel power but their Nike Hero™ model boots, it can be a slog, even to collect the 8 in Atlas Park, and most badge locations have some risk of combat and defeat.

So here's a "Chicken Run" that will bring you several good things in the shortest time, allowing you to collect those ten exploration badges for the LRTP quickly, with no exposure to early and tedious defeats.

(Revised after some input from Lemming, then again to simplify the steps.)

Note that you can enter any Ouro portal you pass to do Step 3 there, but you will still have to return to the City Hall basement at some point. Probably best to just stay on track.

New: popmenu for this run now attached.

1. Bang! There you are in front of Ms. Liberty, all clean and shiny.
    • Run behind Ms Liberty to get the Rookie badge.
      [/thumbtack 128.5 16.1 -233.0]
    • Run to the START vendor and get the Jump Pack. (If you're smart, you'll load up on other freebies, but let's keep it simple.)
    • Go to the north plaza of City Hall to get the Hero Corps Insider badge, near Henry Peter Wong.
      [/thumbtack 282.0 16.1 -891.5]
    • Jump to the top of City Hall to get the Freedom badge.
      [/thumbtack 126.1 170.3 -652.4]
    • Jump to the top of the Atlas Statue to get the Top Dog badge.
      [/thumbtack 131.0 319.7 -319.5]
      (If you hurry, you can do it on the same Jump Pack charge.)
  2. Get an Ouro portal:
    • Jump down and enter City Hall.
      • Get the Patriot badge at the far side of the rotunda.
        [/thumbtack 164.0 -768.0 -673.0]
      • Go downstairs to DATA and get the Edge of Chaos badge.
        [/thumbtack -145.5 -784.0 -902.0]
      • (If you DON'T have the Ouro portal yet)—
        • go through the elevator doorway right in front of you to Recluse's Victory
        • then go through the big portal.
        • Go back through the big portal to Atlas Park.
    • One way or the other, you should now have the Ouro Portal power, and probably the Fast Travel TP Integrator in your Powers list.
  3. Throw down your Ouro portal and dive through—
    • Climb to the top of the big gold arc over the pool (the gnomon, if you want to be pedantic) to get the Chrononaut badge.
      [/thumbtack 543.5 867.6 -768.3]
    • Jump across the Ouro temple and use the portal behind it to enter Echo Atlas Park. (Use care; miss a step and it's a long, long ways down.)
    • In Echo Atlas Park:
      • Go to the exit side of the tram station to get the City Traveler badge.
        [/thumbtack 585.1 74.3 -1362.9964.5 -27.0 -754.5]
      • Run/Jump south to visit the base of the statue in the lake to get the Virtuous badge. (Warning: there may be lethal mobs on this path; use care to avoid them. You can skip this badge—you can skip any one badge in this list of eleven—but a little caution should see you through. Or use the Jump Pack to sail over them.)
        [/thumbtack 964.5 -27.0 -754.5]
      • Go east and enter Echo City Hall.
        • Go downstairs to MAGI and get the Trustworthy badge.
          [/thumbtack -128.0 -784.0 -805.4]
        • You may have the Passport accolade with that badge, but if not/may as well:
          • Go to the back of the lobby and into GIFT's bookcases to get the Knowledgeable badge.
            [/thumbtack 44.0 -784.0 -1002.0]
  4. Use your new LRTP to return to Atlas Park.

Whichever path you took, and whether you had to get the "extra tenth" badge or not, you should now have:

• The Ouro Portal power.
  • The Long Range Teleport power.
  • The Fast-Travel TP integrator (actually a popmenu).
    • This power may not show up until your next session.

You need to add one exploration badge from each zone to add it to the LRTP's availability.

Park your alt for one hour in Pocket D to get the Gold VIP badge and LRTP access to that useful hub. (Note: that has to be real-time in the game, not logoff time. Of course, getting this badge also gets you the LRTP... so all you need to do is get to Pocket D as a Level-Nothing-Much alt and stand around doing nothing for an hour. The Atlas Park entrance is a truck at [/thumbtack 269 0 787], at the east side of City Hall. Risk-free except for massive boredom, no badges and no Ouro portal...) Note also any one of the exploration badges in Pocket D will unlock the LRTP for it, but won't grant the power by itself. (Props to Phrehya for pointing out this obvious oversight on my part...)

Now you can go get your butt kicked by Hellions and Skulls and such. You don't care; you can Tee-Pee!

LRTP-ChickenRun.mnu

Edited by Shenanigunner
Simplified and added popmenu
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

FWIW, I checked all the regular zones for other badges that are right near the tram stations, and safe/easy to reach. There are a few, but not in completely safe "green zones" like the ones I listed.

Happy to see suggestions for a shorter/easier run to Ten.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

8 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

The Teleport coordinator power (actually a popmenu) may not show up until your next session.

Great post! About this, the popmenu is an accolade power, as soon as you get it you can find it under accolades in your Powers section, so you can just drag it

All three powers can have a delay in appearing, from "a little while" to "next session." Ouro is usually instant, but the LRTP and the TP manager have been erratic, in my experience. On my new-alt test of the instructions, I had to get that 11th badge before the LRTP dropped.

Some of the accolade powers are irritating in that you spend X hours in the hospital or university, and earn the acc/power, which then doesn't appear until your next session, and doesn't begin accumulating charges or uses until after that.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, lemming said:

Note, you can get the Ouro power by popping down to Recluses' Victory if no one is dropping an Ouro in atlas.

Doesn't RV have an entry level restriction? (Nope, just a warning from the gate guard.) Good point.

But even before the recent playersplosion, it was not hard to get someone to drop a portal at either Liberty Plaza or (via tram) Talos. I asked yesterday, with maybe 40 players in Liberty, and nothing happened. Asked again, got "What's wrong with the four behind you?" Uh... oh. IME, the crowd there is generous to show-off about dropping portals; I do almost every time I pass through and one's not up.

So pretty to see a whole forest of them. 🙂

Edited by Shenanigunner

4 hours ago, lemming said:

Note, you can get the Ouro power by popping down to Recluses' Victory if no one is dropping an Ouro in atlas.

Edited the directions to include this as an option. If you don't just happen to find an Ouro portal after the first steps, going through RV is probably speedier and doesn't depend on any help.

• Like 1

Gnomon = that big long piece of concrete that runs overhead, from right behind where you come out of the Ouro portal (at ground level), up to the top of the big Ouro temple building across the pond. 🙂

5 hours ago, Pekiti said:

Gnomon = that big long piece of concrete that runs overhead, from right behind where you come out of the Ouro portal (at ground level), up to the top of the big Ouro temple building across the pond. 🙂

Gnomon is an island. 🙂

Okay, I figured "big arching Fooblewetzer" was self-teaching enough, in context of standing there looking around, but maybe not. Small correction made.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's odd, but I am finding this run makes an amusing mini-mission to run with each of my alts, even those who long ago got both transporters. 🙂

@Shenanigunner

I love this guide! I've been doing it on all of my toons. Thank you!

On the topic of Pocket D, you don't have to stand in there an hour - you can get exploration badges there to be able to add to the LRTP immediately. I like getting the Big Time badge: https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Pocket_D#Exploration_Badges

Curiously, that wiki page doesn't mention the fact that you can stay there an hour to get the Gold VIP badge, it just mentions it in passing in a note at the bottom.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Phrehya said:

@Shenanigunner

On the topic of Pocket D, you don't have to stand in there an hour - you can get exploration badges there to be able to add to the LRTP immediately.

*headsmack* I was approaching that from the perspective of getting the LRTP, not the beacon... but you're absolutely right. Actually, any one explo badge is all that's needed.

As for the wiki, most of it is either incomplete, outdated or (at best) very poorly organized. I am always surprised at players who insist it's the firstest and bestest source, when it's more like your grandfather's old Brittannica set. (Yes, some trendy entries are relentlessly updated, but those are scattered at best.)

Edited by Shenanigunner

If you bonk a few level 1 Hellions that hang out around the fence at City Hall, you can get to level 2 and get the 30-minute rocket pack, which makes getting the rest of the AP exploration badges safe, quick, and easy. Hit the START lady first for the starter damage proc IOs and an hour of double XP, then jump the fence and dispense a minute or two (literally) of justice.

There's probably fifty ways to do it. My goal was for a Level-zero to get the LRTP as quickly as possible while avoiding all combat. Not necessarily a best or for-everyone path; maybe more just to see if there was one.