Plant/Psi or Plant/Earth

Gilsamania

Thematically I can make either work, which is important to curbing my altism. Plant/Psi can be, I don't know, a magical control over plants and weaponized iowaska or something. Anyway. Which secondary of these two seems to pair better mechanically? I truly love the look of earth control, but drain psyche just looks so good. I haven't seen either of these in play since coming back to the game, but both seem like they'd be a hoot.

Havent done Psi so I cant speak to that.  But I have done /Earth and man, that was smashy.  You dont do much from range.  I think you get 2, and one is Hurl Boulder.  But holy shnikeys do you smash.  Its ~satisfying~.  I think it would pair VERY well with Plant's really effective control, this way you can smash safely.  Now I kinda wanna make one.  Seems like a messy ball of death.

I can now say from modest experience leveling both to 20 before making a final decision that /earth is a LOT more fun for me. Most of that boils down to the animations and how it feels, but, yeah, Plant/Earth will be what I continue on with.

My 2 cents: /Psi needs Drain Psyche and Psychic Scream to fully bloom. But i also have an Plant/Earth and damn, he's fun :D The MudPots are just awesome and having a Force Feedback +Recharge in Fissure makes Hasten almost optional. :)

In pure power gamer terms I don't think there's an Assault set that touches /Psi. It benefited from the fact that the original developers didn't consider animation time in their damage calculations, and based damage on the recharge of powers instead. This leads to each power having wildly different DPS'es under various circumstances, with Psychic Scream being one of the fastest to animate by nearly a full second. Psi also has Drain Psyche, which is incredible on a Dominator, but especially incredible on a Dominator with a Confuse power, because Confuse makes enemies bunch up together.

Earth is fun and cool looking and also very slow to animate. I don't know a thing about its actual DPS but I have to assume it is much less survivable than Psi. Then again, most sets are so it may not be a fair comparison.