Gravity / Dark / Psi - All about the dark portals, feedback requested

Attached is a build plan for a "dark portals" gravity / dark / psi controller. With wormhole and fold space, a key goal is to "portal" mobs to wherever it helps the team most to have them be. By default mobs will be dropped near the team's tank(s) / brute(s). Sometimes mobs will be moved onto a waiting tar patch or an ally's debuff field or control power field.

Regarding cross-set synergies, gravity and dark seem to complement each other in several ways. Wormhole and fold space, in particular, work well with soul absorption, tar patch, and world of confusion. Keeping allies fairly close by having mobs brought to the tanks / brutes probably helps for keeping fade on more teammates, as well. 

The package of benefits from taking the spiritual radial alpha incarnate seems just a bit more appealing than from taking agility core. Never taken spiritual as an alpha incarnate before, not totally sure it's the right choice. Recharge received a lot of focus to perma soul absorption, fade, and indomitable will and to have wormhole and fold space quickly recharge.

Feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance. 

Mage of Dark Portals - Controller (Gravity Control - Darkness Affinity - Psionic Mastery).mbd

Screenshot (38).png

Edited by EnjoyTheJourney

16 hours ago, EnjoyTheJourney said:

Attached is a build plan for a "dark portals" gravity / dark / psi controller. With wormhole and fold space, a key goal is to "portal" mobs to wherever it helps the team most to have them be. By default mobs will be dropped near the team's tank(s) / brute(s). Sometimes mobs will be moved onto a waiting tar patch or an ally's debuff field or control power field.

Regarding cross-set synergies, gravity and dark seem to complement each other in several ways. Wormhole and fold space, in particular, work well with soul absorption, tar patch, and world of confusion. Keeping allies fairly close by having mobs brought to the tanks / brutes probably helps for keeping fade on more teammates, as well. 

The package of benefits from taking the spiritual radial alpha incarnate seems just a bit more appealing than from taking agility core. Never taken spiritual as an alpha incarnate before, not totally sure it's the right choice. Recharge received a lot of focus to perma soul absorption, fade, and indomitable will and to have wormhole and fold space quickly recharge.

Feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance. 

Mage of Dark Portals - Controller (Gravity Control - Darkness Affinity - Psionic Mastery).mbd 44.19 kB · 1 download

Screenshot (38).png

Interesting concept and a rarely used combo. Couple questions. Is WoC essential or just there for the cool factor? I don't see any immob protection from stuff like cj/weave/evasive, what am i missing?

I shuffled stuff. Alpha went first. Its a dark so i went intuition. You could (maybe) get more recharge by dumping a purple set for an extra ff+rech or 2 in propel/wormhole, propel looks way overslotted for damage. I tossed in grav distortion field just because. I don't much like the aoe holds on trollers but given a choice between that/WoC i don't mind looking less cool and saving an end draining toggle that looks like its going to be all but useless on a build that seems designed to wormhole/fold space mobs from a ranged flight position and just tp in for soul absorb when the mobs in no position to fight back.

Pinched slots from DN to bump to softcap. Didn't like the way fade was slotted and i'm not sure about that pre-emptive set in soul absorb.

Really hate to see the main st hold slotted with a basilisks. So i tossed that out too. And put some acc in lift.

Feel free to swear at me for the comments/changes. pretty sure i posted one of these way back when someone was asking there weren't any on forums and i still haven't rolled one so i'm not really in a position to comment on them but i do love me some grav and dark. One day i'll try them together.

Mage of Dark Portals - Controller (Gravity Control - Darkness Affinity - Psionic Mastery).mbd

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you for taking time to provide a thoughtfully considered and very reasonable set of changes. Your efforts are appreciated and the build you've suggested would do absolutely fine as is. I like what you've proposed overall, as well, and will incorporate several elements into a revised build for my character.  

Just got this character to level 50 and I'm currently getting his IOs in place. I'll stick with world of confusion instead of gravity distortion field, at least for now. I'd like to see the effects of "portaling" mobs into world of confusion with the contagious confusion proc in place. It would be helpful to have some extra accuracy from the AT set, though, and gravity distortion field can be a nice "ah heck" power to have. GDF may go into a later iteration of the build ahead of world of confusion. 

Also, I realized only after posting that I had clicked the button for lift when calculating accuracy. So, I had inadvertently assumed that the decimation build up proc was always activated when settling on how much accuracy to put into powers :classic_rolleyes:. Thank you for noticing the effects of that error. And, I completely spaced out about not having immobilize protection. Having no immobilize protection is usually a pretty dumb move and it may be for this character as well. But, perhaps hovering a bit above the ground and having teleport makes being immobilized noticeably less problematic in at least most cases. Not much experience with teleport + hover and so that's something I'll figure out as I go. 

Intuition radial is a very reasonable alpha pick. I may go for it if indomitable will seems likely to reliably be perma without spiritual. Still wavering on the alpha. Also, will take assault hybrid for 4* runs; those aren't the majority of my gameplay, but it would hopefully help damage at least a bit for those runs. Because I exemp a fair amount I tend to attune most IOs and to use PvP IOs a fair amount, as those can be boosted and will still work all the way down to level 10. So, some choices may seem a bit odd, at first glance.

Mage of Dark Portals - Controller (Gravity Control - Darkness Affinity - Psionic Mastery),v2.mbd

Screenshot (40).png

Edited by EnjoyTheJourney
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, EnjoyTheJourney said:

Thank you for taking time to provide a thoughtfully considered and very reasonable set of changes. Your efforts are appreciated and the build you've suggested would do absolutely fine as is. I like what you've proposed overall, as well, and will incorporate several elements into a revised build for my character.  

Just got this character to level 50 and I'm currently getting his IOs in place. I'll stick with world of confusion instead of gravity distortion field, at least for now. I'd like to see the effects of "portaling" mobs into world of confusion with the contagious confusion proc in place. It would be helpful to have some extra accuracy from the AT set, though, and gravity distortion field can be a nice "ah heck" power to have. GDF may go into a later iteration of the build ahead of world of confusion. 

Also, I realized only after posting that I had clicked the button for lift when calculating accuracy. So, I had inadvertently assumed that the decimation build up proc was always activated when settling on how much accuracy to put into powers :classic_rolleyes:. Thank you for noticing the effects of that error. And, I completely spaced out about not having immobilize protection. Having no immobilize protection is usually a pretty dumb move and it may be for this character as well. But, perhaps hovering a bit above the ground and having teleport makes being immobilized noticeably less problematic in at least most cases. Not much experience with teleport + hover and so that's something I'll figure out as I go. 

Intuition radial is a very reasonable alpha pick. I may go for it if indomitable will seems likely to reliably be perma without spiritual. Still wavering on the alpha. Also, will take assault hybrid for 4* runs; those aren't the majority of my gameplay, but it would hopefully help damage at least a bit for those runs. Because I exemp a fair amount I tend to attune most IOs and to use PvP IOs a fair amount, as those can be boosted and will still work all the way down to level 10. So, some choices may seem a bit odd, at first glance.

Mage of Dark Portals - Controller (Gravity Control - Darkness Affinity - Psionic Mastery),v2.mbd 44.84 kB · 0 downloads

Screenshot (40).png

No such thing as odd choices if they are the ones that work for you, we all play the game our own way.

• Like 1