First MM

Snakebit

They make things easier FOR YOU.  But for someone like me with manual dexterity issues, managing WASD is already a full-time job for my left hand.  Asking me to try and hunt down a bunch of esoteric keyboard commands during the time crunch of combat (when everything I need to do is better handled by my dominant hand on the mouse interfacing with command buttons I can actually see on-screen) is a bit like asking me to walk the long way round to get to work when I have a car and a short, direct route. 

A lot of wasted time and effort for an ultimately inferior result when I already have a working system in place?  No thank you.

I'm curious,

how often do you use the left/right keys in CoH, it's not like you can strafe or even move while you are attacking, this is not Wildstar. Hells with Tab Targeting you can be facing away from the MOB once you target it and still attack.

Another thing all the keys in CoH are totally bindable and Keybind.txt is your friend. I found I was not using my left pinky at all so I rebound my board so my pinky was on the 'A' key for "+forward", my three other fingers on 'E', 'R', and 'T', for '1', '2', and '3' (I never strafe in CoH.), and my thumb on the 'Space Key'. With this setup my fingers can fairly easy reach down to the 'D', 'F', and 'G' keys, and up to the '3' to '6' keys. I use 'Mouse 4' for Auto Run with this keybind

BUTTON4 "++forward$$powexec_toggleon Ninja Run"

and the '6' key for

"inspexec_name Resurgence$$inspexec_name Dramatic Improvement$$inspexec_name Respite"

I'm not saying you have to use my setup, what I'm saying is that with Keybinds and '/Slash' commands you can setup your keyboard to work however you want it to work, and with Keybind.txt files you can do that fairly easily, outside of the game, and even setup different keybind files for different characters.

Not using Keybinds is like walking to the store instead of learning to drive... because your feet are good enough.

Not using Keybinds is like walking to the store instead of learning to drive... because your feet are good enough.

I wouldn't go quite that far; that does smack of "if you don't do X, you're not doing it right".  Which is exactly the sort of thing that appears to have been (due to a misunderstanding) at the root of Zot's side of his exchange with me.

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

My style of play, which is subjective, yes, is button clicking rather than keyboarding, and I've never had a gaming mouse because this is the only game I play.  I've taken at least two MMs to 50 that way and it seems to work well enough for me.  Thanks for the advice though, it is actually appreciated.

Fair enough. Though you don't need a gaming mouse to have extra buttons to assign binds to - many regular mice have a wheel that clicks and two side buttons. That's three extra buttons for binds.

I'm curious,

how often do you use the left/right keys in CoH, it's not like you can strafe or even move while you are attacking, this is not Wildstar. Hells with Tab Targeting you can be facing away from the MOB once you target it and still attack.

Another thing all the keys in CoH are totally bindable and Keybind.txt is your friend. I found I was not using my left pinky at all so I rebound my board so my pinky was on the 'A' key for "+forward", my three other fingers on 'E', 'R', and 'T', for '1', '2', and '3' (I never strafe in CoH.), and my thumb on the 'Space Key'. With this setup my fingers can fairly easy reach down to the 'D', 'F', and 'G' keys, and up to the '3' to '6' keys. I use 'Mouse 4' for Auto Run with this keybind

BUTTON4 "++forward$$powexec_toggleon Ninja Run"

and the '6' key for

"inspexec_name Resurgence$$inspexec_name Dramatic Improvement$$inspexec_name Respite"

I'm not saying you have to use my setup, what I'm saying is that with Keybinds and '/Slash' commands you can setup your keyboard to work however you want it to work, and with Keybind.txt files you can do that fairly easily, outside of the game, and even setup different keybind files for different characters.

It might behoove you to read through an entire thread before replying. The person you are replying to is 1) unable to use keyboard binds because of serious manual dexterity issues, and 2) incredible frustrated by people telling them that not using binds is playing wrong - which you are coming very close to doing.

It might behoove you to read through an entire thread before replying. The person you are replying to is 1) unable to use keyboard binds because of serious manual dexterity issues, and 2) incredible frustrated by people telling them that not using binds is playing wrong - which you are coming very close to doing.

, managing WASD is already a full-time job for my left hand.

This tells me that they are able to use the keyboard to some level, and this

A lot of wasted time and effort for an ultimately inferior result when I already have a working system in place?  No thank you.

tells me that they do not care to learn how to do Keybinds. They figure that it's not worth their trouble, which is fine as long as they run solo, but as soon as they group, or you know interact with the other people of this MMO, like standing at a Trainer with all of their henchmen groaning, hissing, moving, and flashing their various buffs, then they are no longer running solo.

I'm fricken 60, have 30% military disability, my hands ache all the time from working with tools since I can remember (The 30% is not linked to this issue.), and my left ring finger locks up on me from time to time, due to being broken when I was a kid. We all have issues of some kind or another, and there are tools out there to overcome them. Some of these tools are the Keybinds the CoH devs provided for us. Another tool is a Programmable Multi-buttoned Mouse, which anybody who is MMOing, even in a free MMO, should be able to afford over time (I figure he is not MMOing on a free computer at the library.), with a little effort. Hells they are fully functional outside of gaming, which means they can be used for other Apps besides games.

I did not say it in my previous post but I agreed with PaxArcana, and called BS as I was reading this thread. As far as I care Black Zot is one of those people that would rather throw the animal carcass on the occasional lighting strike fire and have cooked meat occasionally, than learn to control fire and have cooked meat all the time.

I don't really use all that many binds myself. I've mapped the T key to have my pets attack (in defensive mode), shift-T to attack in aggressive mode, the middle mouse button to have them fall back in defensive mode and follow me, and shift-left click to make them move. Those are pretty much the only binds I (regularly) use. I have a couple of macros for making them talk and stuff, but that's something different. :)

I’m really unclear why we feel the need to call out someone for playing the game with or without keybinds.  How is it really going to hurt a team?  Any PUG worried that much about execution isn’t a group I would want to play on.

And let’s not assume we understand the various conditions/issues/circumstances that another poster is dealing with.  I call BS on that. 

My kiddo has mastered the mighty speed of 5 words a minute.  But he knows how to click all over.  Would you really kick him from your team?  And he’s a kid - I can’t imagine the various circumstances that might make someone struggle with typing or mouse dexterity.  Arthritis? 

Keybinds are great - I love them.  Macro’s too, and we should totally share our best practices, and we should totally not judge others for not using them.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting