Ultimate Kin/ Defender

00Troy00

Yes, I understand the argument for a corruptor, but I want a defender so as to be able to exempt as far downcascpossible, and still have my core Kin powers.

Any ideas how to build this w/o spending crazy money?

some thoughts if helpful

spoiler: cheap cheap cheap!

i use mine for mostly posi 1 and 2’s thesedays

if i was to re-roll my kin i’d likely go with /rad for the -def as i love my low lvl posi’s, helps with the CoT. /elec feels like an obvious pairing but kin is often so fast paced i don’t think the benefits of the end drain are able to shine

On 4/18/2024 at 8:01 PM, 00Troy00 said:

Yes, I understand the argument for a corruptor, but I want a defender so as to be able to exempt as far downcascpossible, and still have my core Kin powers.

Any ideas how to build this w/o spending crazy money?

When you say cheap, I am guessing you mean pre-50 when you want to gear up fast without the fancy purple/winter/SBB IOs.

Actually many of the main buffs/DEBUFFS of Kineticism do not fit well with set bonuses of IOs

Fulcrum shift needs 2 Acc and 2 Rech IOs of at least generic level 35+ IOs

Same with Siphon Power, Siphon Speed while Transfusion and Transference do use accurate healing sets and end-mod sets respectively.

Inertial Reduction, Speed Boost, and Increase Density can get away with one slot to operate, but picking up Resistance procs in Increase density, and end-mod features for speed boost is attractive but not required I opine until you 'trick out' a level 50.

Remember to get tactics so your siphons hit more often and maneuvers for defense procs. Also remember: even with siphon speed and not tons of recharge bonuses, you will eventually hit what I call the animation cap. In other words, your dilemma will be waiting for powers to go off more than waiting for them to recharge. It's a delicious predicament.

PIck a secondary with many short animation attacks. I love Kin/rad. Dual pistols is a good choice for the many AoEs for many fulcrum shifted targets. I cannot imagine beam rifle on a Kin, sorry, just my opinion. Kin/Dark is a classic build, too, with the cones/AoEs and who doesn't love the tentacles?

Have fun. I hope to see you again soon on Everlasting, Troy. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later

My vote is in on Kin/Storm. Soft cap your positional defenses, use barrier to cap them. Get Storm Cell on perma and Cat 5 makes the baddies flop around like dying fish. And you get to stay in the fray with all the melee benefitting from all your own buffs...cept for Speed Boost...stupid can't get speed boost.

I realize I'm a couple months late to this one but I have a few suggestions for a cheap and effective Kin defender.

First up is Kin/Fire. Might seem basic, but Fire Ball and Inferno both work really well in melee range, which is where you'll be right after dropping Fulcrum Shift. You also get Fire Ball early so it's a win/win. Rain of Fire is also a great ability to keep on hand, especially if you team a lot and have controllers with you. If you want to immobilize the enemies yourself, Web Envelope from Mace Mastery will keep enemies in place while you melt them. It's a meta pick for the power pool anyway if you're going for a defense build, so it works nicely.

Next is Kin/Elec for basically the same reason. Ball Lightning and Short Circuit can both be used in melee range, and the damage really adds up. The shocked mechanic is just more damage which technically allows you to exceed the damage cap beyond a maxed out FS buff. Thunderous Blast can also be used in melee range just as easily, so you get 3 really effective AoE attacks you can use up close and personal. Short Circuit synergizes really well with Soul Mastery's Power Boost. Fully slotted you could actually drain everything you hit in 1 shot with that combo, leading to lots of "Shocked!" procs. With lots of recharge, which is pretty much a given on a Kin, you'll have Power Boost up all the time.

Finally, Kin/Sonic is a classic combo because -res debuffs are just extra juicy when you've damage capped your whole team.

Keep damage procs in mind, as once you're damage is capped, the only real way to deal more damage is to either debuff enemy resistance or use damage procs/Elec Blast Shocks. You can get them pretty cheap for the most part, or if you're savvy enough just buy some cheaper enhancement and convert into the proc.