Travel Power Diversification

I find the Flight pool to be something of an odd duck. I don't know what I'd want changed about it, but here are my thoughts, pretty much every time I play my characters who went deep into the Flight pool:

Air Superiority: I like that this power is in the pool! Alternate melee attack with a fun animation.

Hover and Fly: Not the same thing, but kind of the same thing. Obvious differences that we all know and love, I find I need both but then...

Evasive Maneuvers: makes Hover and Fly "better"... but I primarily only use it for +Fly speed... and I think this is because I have run out of slots for Hover and Fly!

Group Fly: Unique sort of power that I think is fine for what it is.

Sidestepping Group Fly's potential effect on teammates (because henchmen/pets), 4 of the 5 powers are strictly affecting only the player picking the pool... which is a little bit of an outlier.

For me... it feels like Evasive Maneuvers is the oddball. I like having the "flight control"... lack of control while using Flight is a design feature of the game I know... but it feels weird to me to have to (a) pick an extra power and (b) toggle it on and (c) have the other power(s) also toggled on to get the full effect. It's not as if there aren't other powers in pools that aren't "auto". I also don't like keeping it in my power tray!

I suppose if I was going to propose a change to the Flight Pool, it would be to make Evasive Maneuvers an Auto power.

• Like 2
  • Microphone 1

23 hours ago, tidge said:

I suppose if I was going to propose a change to the Flight Pool, it would be to make Evasive Maneuvers an Auto power.

Seems perfectly fine, as long as the boost to Fly Speed and Friction are kept the same and only the +Fly Protection and out-of-combat Defense values were lowered to compensate for it being an Auto vs. a Toggle. 

I don't see the power going from a Toggle to Auto without there being a cost, but nicking at Fly Speed and Friction would make it even less valuable than it currently is.

2 hours ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

Seems perfectly fine, as long as the boost to Fly Speed and Friction are kept the same and only the +Fly Protection and out-of-combat Defense values were lowered to compensate for it being an Auto vs. a Toggle. 

I don't see the power going from a Toggle to Auto without there being a cost, but nicking at Fly Speed and Friction would make it even less valuable than it currently is.

I hear you... I did a cursory glance at other power pools to see which ones had 4 of 5 powers be toggles, and I didn't see any.  While looking I wanted to see which ones (if any) had 4 of 5 powers that didn't affect enemy critters, and I also didn't notice any.

As I wrote, Flight pool strikes me as being odd... I take those four toggles on MMs, and almost always three of them on "fliers", without complaints... it's partially that when I am in another travel power pool I always feel like I have more variety of options, with the possible exception of Concealment.

Short of giving boxing & kick access to the animations of other power pool opener melee attacks, I think those other power pool melee attacks should be available as power pool openers attacks in the fighting pool

Admittedly it's not quite the same as OPs request